Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Graduated Despite Hospitalization!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Graduated Despite Hospitalization!
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I graduated with a 92% average from high school despite the fact that I was hospitalized for the last 1.5 months due to mental health issues and was unable to do any schoolwork! [Big Grin]

I'm happy! And I'm so glad that I don't have to take any courses over the summer or stay in high school for one more year in order to graduate! Now I can go to university in the fall and study piano performance, right according to plan!

I practically kneeled down and kissed my diploma when I received it, lol. [Smile]

YAY!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay sans! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations, you rock <3 And wow, 92%! That's really excellent. And a 92% will get you a big big BIG entrance scholarship, and more money towards something as expensive as university is always helpful, so big congrats there! And yay for being another music performance student at university! High five! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Onionpie:
And yay for being another music performance student at university! High five! [Big Grin]

Yay Yay YAY!! My day keeps getting better! [Big Grin] You are a music performance student at university yourself, I presume?

Yup! I got the highest entrance scholarship at my university, a lump sum of $5000. I'm quite happy about that. [Big Grin]

I see that you are from Canada too. If so, do you know of the University of Toronto? That's the one I'll be attending. [Smile]

[ 07-25-2012, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Sans ]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!! and that's an awesome achievement.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Redskies! [Smile]

(Btw, I left a reply for you in your thread in the Relationships section. I know it's a late reply, but plz take a look at it if you feel like it.)

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sans! You genius, you! Congratulations on this fantastic and admirable achievement! As I've said often, you are an inspiration to all! What a great accomplishment!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the scholarship, sans! And yes, I do in fact know u of T [Smile] It's one my private tutor suggested for me but I stuck to a local one in ottawa because of being yaytotallybroke. But I hear it's a really great school, so big big humongous congrats to you on going there! Also, yes I am indeed a fellow music student [Smile] I'm going into my fourth (but not final, I have to take some extra courses) year of jazz baritone sax [Big Grin]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Awww, thanks, Copper! Hey, if we're talking about inspiration, you're much more of an inspiration around here than I can ever be! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

quote:
Also, yes I am indeed a fellow music student [Smile] I'm going into my fourth (but not final, I have to take some extra courses) year of jazz baritone sax [Big Grin]

THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!! Yay! I FINALLY meet a fellow music student after all these years of people raising their eyebrows skeptically when I tell them of my dream career! FINALLY! Someone who understands! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Haha, well I'm really glad to make you feel better about that! Trust me, I definitely know the feeling [Razz] Luckily I've got both parents on my side, my dad is really musical and I think sometimes regrets not having had any formal training, and so he really loves that it's my dream as well. And my mum loves all things arty, she's a visual artist herself, so she's very supportive too.

But man, the looks people give you when you tell them! Actually, what I find worse -- the blank stares of half-disapproval-half-holier-than-thou-one-hundred-percent-unimpressed-ness. Like you said "I'm doing a degree in sticking pencils up my nose". You will get this comment a lot -- music is EASY compared to other degrees. I mean you just sit around doing something you already enjoy and already do, how hard is that?! But um... to be polite... I poo all over that idea [Wink]

Music in university is hard hard hard and can be just as soul crushing as a hard science sometimes (that's not a good thing though D: ). People don't get that the reason it's "easy" is because musicians PRACTISE ALL THE TIME? I mean if people practised exercises with mathematical equations as much as (good/dedicated) musicians practise their instruments, they'd find engineering to be easy as pie too! Basically, I explain the "picasso principle" to them [Razz]

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

quote:
Haha, well I'm really glad to make you feel better about that! Trust me, I definitely know the feeling [Razz] Luckily I've got both parents on my side, my dad is really musical and I think sometimes regrets not having had any formal training, and so he really loves that it's my dream as well. And my mum loves all things arty, she's a visual artist herself, so she's very supportive too. [QUOTE]

That's awesome. [Smile] My biological father actively tried to stop me from taking piano lessons. He's one person I won't acknowledging when I succeed! My mother was initially very skeptical and wary when I declared to her that I want to be a pianist, but over the years I proved to her, through lots of hard work, that I am serious. She is currently very supportive of whatever I choose to do. [Smile]

[QUOTE]But man, the looks people give you when you tell them! Actually, what I find worse -- the blank stares of half-disapproval-half-holier-than-thou-one-hundred-percent-unimpressed-ness. Like you said "I'm doing a degree in sticking pencils up my nose". You will get this comment a lot -- music is EASY compared to other degrees. I mean you just sit around doing something you already enjoy and already do, how hard is that?! But um... to be polite... I poo all over that idea [Wink] [/QB][QUOTE]

I KNOW, right? That kind of obnoxious, ignorant attitude pisses me off to no end. I've met so many people who thinks that they're doing me the greatest favor by telling me to quit music and pursue some other profession. They have no idea about anything in this regard! Personally, I'd sooner quit life than music. Many folks think that "it's just a hobby." Or "you just want to get famous, don't you." I HATE that kind of patronizing attitude! Definitely holier-than-thou, for sure.

[QUOTE] Music in university is hard hard hard and can be just as soul crushing as a hard science sometimes (that's not a good thing though D: ). People don't get that the reason it's "easy" is because musicians PRACTISE ALL THE TIME? I mean if people practised exercises with mathematical equations as much as (good/dedicated) musicians practise their instruments, they'd find engineering to be easy as pie too! [Razz] [/QB]

I can't agree more! Musicians must practice, practice, and practice in addition to doing all the work for all of the other theory, history, etc. courses. I don't know where others get the idea that it's "easy", but they definitely don't have a clue. Practicing for a serious musician is sweaty, uncomfortable, repetitive, back-breaking WORK that requires time!

--------------------

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Chyeah, musician power! HIGH FIVE! Ehehe.

Man, especially that theory work... It pisses me off most when people act like theory is so easy because they did some in high school. This is particularly inspired by my ex-boyfriend who went to the same high school as me so I know damn well how easy it was back then.

But holy CRAP does it change. It is mind-blowingly hard, but he thought that, because I was good at it, it was still easy as pie. Nononono. Most people in my class did pretty damn poorly, quite a few failed. Not to sound conceited -- I swear I'm not, it's just a statement of facts [Razz] -- but I'm a bit of an anomaly in regards to theory, I'm not typical. It's just something I happen to be very good at. Most other people utterly suck at it because they haven't taken hours practising it every day -- they've spent hours actually playing their instrument. An area, I might add, that they're better at than I am because I haven't spent as much time on it as they have.

Honestly, having to do all the freaking essays for all the other classes, all the ridiculously hard theory exams (I'd come out with a huge migraine LITERALLY FROM JUST THINKING SO HARD), as WELL as having to practise my *** off and do performances that my graduation hinges upon? I'd rather be studying chemistry sometimes. At least you don't have an auditorium full of eyes watching you fail with no escape when you bomb a chem exam [Razz]

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

HIGH FIVE!!! Muhahahahahahaha....

Yeah, it pisses me off too when people do that. High school theory is in a totally different league that theory, SERIOUS theory, like the higher-level RCM theory or university theory. Compared to the latter ones, high school theory is not even worth mentioning.

The RCM average for people who have taken Harmony 3 is like 65%. And that exam has a lower standard that university first year theory material. Honestly, I can totally see most people sucking at it.

Exactly. It's so much work in so many areas taking up so much time. My piano teacher often remarks that a person who wants to study and make a living as a musician must be nuts if they knew everything that is involved. So, I suppose I'm nuts. [Smile] But that's okay. It's good to be nuts. [Razz]

--------------------

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"unique is normal,
normal is weird,
weird is good"!

In other words,
being unique is normal,
being normal is weird (because there is no "defined" "normal" - everyone's different),
and being unique, normal and weird is good! [Smile]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Sans: haha, so true. Every musician is at least a little nuts [Wink] Especially knowing how much hard work it is PLUS the fact that almost nobody gets good money out of it. So we're all accepting our fate of working blood sweat and tears for a few pennies [Razz]
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Onionpie: I sooooo agree! [Razz]

--------------------

Jemima7777
Neophyte
Member # 95641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jemima7777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm a little late but Wow! Congratulations Sans, this is such good news for you! Being hospitalized for so long and still be at the top of your class is awesome!

I am not studying music in University but I did take piano lessons for a few years. At some point it got very serious. So, even though I am not a professionnal musician (quite far from it) I do know how hard it is, and how repetitive and mind wrecking to actually experience and study music. Not only is there hard theory and stuff but when you practise a piece for a performance you actually have to experience it, to put your soul in it, because music is about emotions as well. I remember practicing the same piece over and over and being completely emptied and exhausted for a while!
So yes, music is tough. [Razz] But what are we without music?
The world need musicians! So forget these comtempted and obnoxious looks and go for your dreams! [Big Grin]
I actually studied art history (a discipline some might consider useless) and am going to study religions science. Imagine that! With music you can actually ''please'' people. What do you do with religion, huh? So yes, I totally get what you are saying!

But none of it matters! The only thing that matters is that you are happy! [Smile]
Congrats again!!!

--------------------
You hold the mightiest weapon of all.

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Thanks so much, Jemima! You're so sweet! [Big Grin]

Yep. I totally agree. Studying music can be really exhausting. BUT, that's only part of the fun for me!

Heh heh. I intend to have a complete blast starting September! [Razz]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.