Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Happiness is...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happiness is...
leanmeanrunningmachine
Neophyte
Member # 29939

Icon 10 posted      Profile for leanmeanrunningmachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it would be cool to see the way people complete this sentence, so here it goes:

Happiness is...(complete this sentence anyway you want to!)

--------------------
Love is more than just a game for two

Posts: 18 | From: Mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leanmeanrunningmachine
Neophyte
Member # 29939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leanmeanrunningmachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is...

sinking my toes into the warm sand on a beautiful summer day.
holding hands with the ones you love.
rainbows after a sunshower.
black and white photography.
laughing so hard you can barely breathe.
poetry.
hiking through the mountains.
love at first sight.
memories.
fantasizing.

and so much more, I love the most simple things about life.

--------------------

Posts: 18 | From: Mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness
The touch of a warm hand
The whisper of a warm breath
The embrace of a warm sun

The sound of your voice, your laugh
The sight of your eyes and smile
The sweet scent of your perfume

The knowledge
That in you
I have found my home.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leanmeanrunningmachine
Neophyte
Member # 29939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leanmeanrunningmachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really like that one its a very creative approach!

--------------------

Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is enduring my foolishness,
my missteps,
the inappropriate things I say.
And then truly helping one person on Scarleteen.

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fonz
Activist
Member # 25706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is freedom, and memories past present and yet to come

--------------------
Nothing is right, but its perfect

Posts: 78 | From: Inner Sanctum | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is....
LOVE
friends
family
pets
summertime
driving
dancing

--------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to move this down to All About You since I think it would do better there than here [Smile]

See you guys there!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is the simple, little things in life that you never notice. You're so oblivious to them sometimes that you can't even explain why you're happy, but still these little, perfect nothings are present in your subconcious. Happiness is being in the moment while not forgetting the past and the future, but not worrying about them either. It's beauty in the unlikeliest places, and a smile to or from a total stranger. It's a good smell, sight, or sound that brings back memories. It's warmth that isn't just physical, but psychological as well, and a certain airyness that makes you want to skip a little when you walk. Happiness is not knowing you're happy, but at the same time feeling it with all your being. It's living without having to know why you're alive.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...not a fish you can catch.

1. I think it's a true assessment of the situation: you can't just throw out a line and wait for happiness to swim b so you can drag it out flipping and flopping out of the water (to die a tormentous death). No, if happiness was a fish, catching fish would be a whole lot harder and sushi would cost a whole lot more.

2. I used to really like OLP. Anyone else?

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorian Gray
Neophyte
Member # 31822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dorian Gray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is a good book.

*is a stodgy bastard*

--------------------
"Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best."
- Oscar Wilde

Posts: 13 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg[atron]
Activist
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg[atron]     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happiness is...

-the ability to love yourself, even when you don't fit the label of a boxed beauty
-to forgive one another, when you never thought you would have the power to do so
-the solitude from escaping from this harsh world into the a great book's soul environment, with no dispurcences from unwanted sources
-laughing with your best friends, your other halfs, until you can't breathe.
-when one finally comes to terms with the fact that they can't fix the world, yet they can improve their own corner of the universe by caring for one another

Posts: 42 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is

clean sheets
escaping into the world of a novel, uninterrupted
opening a brand new book

watching a baby smile or a child play
not letting the little things drag you down
beauty in the smallest detail

a blooming flower
a red rose
closing your eyes at night and
descending into sleep

calm
escape from the storm
letting go
holding on

always learning
never forgetting where you came from and
who helped you get there

being content
accepting yourself as you are

loving others
loving yourself

those you love

being loved

Happiness is the little things all added up

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...not a destination, but a journey. If you spend your whole life trying so hard to achieve "happiness" all the actual happy moments in your life will pass you by.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading, a silent house, I get to be the only one home. My warm blanket spread across me and my kitten curled up at my side. An entire stack of books, a good mix of new and re-reads, and slowly working my way through, enjoying the silence, remembering when I first read those stories.

Reading through my old notebooks and anthologies from a writing camp I attended-the memories are beautiful.

The moment my mom came running downstairs from the hotel room, the morning of the third day of what ended up being a five-day cross-country one-way trip, to tell me my beautiful kitten was hiding under the bed the whole time, that she was alive and there and mine and I hadn't lost my baby forever. When she told me I had just finished telling my dad that we needed to get a move on, that we should give up on finding her.

Visiting this board and seeing so much beauty and kindness and love among all the users and volunteers. I know this sounds like an oxymoron, but I renew my faith in humanity online. My silly virtual pet sites where I have friends who know nothing more than what I share online and yet still talk to me and we get along great. Seeing people band together when one website changed a major site event so that all the games were operated by keyboard, effectively alienating several people with various medical conditions (for example, I have difficulties using arrow keys or typing quickly due to joint problems). Mentioning to a group of friends that I spent the last of my saved points on a certain item and a friend promptly sending me 500,000 points worth of virtual currency so that even if I didn't like the item, I wasn't out any money. People who actually ask how someone else is doing and genuinely want to know the answer. Everyone thinks the internet is worse than real life because everybody is hidden behind a computer, but it's also better than real life in some ways because everybody is hidden behind a computer.

A warm grilled cheese, not burnt, just crispy. Or spaghetti with alfredo cheese sauce and a few breadsticks. Fresh cheese pizza.

A library I've never been to or a book I've never read.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feminist Ryan Gosling. Because super-silly feminist things are awesome (and all too rare).

http://feministryangosling.tumblr.com/

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather, YES! So much love for that tumblr. SO much love.
Posts: 243 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This hasn't been answered in a while.. [Smile]

Happiness is: not the only thing that happens, but sadness happens as well. But the small things that make you happy can spark that flame to overcome ANY sadness that is in your heart. Happiness is an amazing thing [Razz] And what makes us happy is different for every individual, which makes it that much more unique!

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waking up to find your sweetheart left valentines for the dogs.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is grass jelly.

I love grass jelly. Meh. [Razz]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being “play attacked” by your cat, who was hiding behind the shower curtain, as soon as you get home.

Finding tons of nice jeans on for sale cheap at a resale shop.

Seeing a movie in the middle of the night- just because you’re with new friends, having an awesome time, and there’s no one to tell you that you have to come home.

Volunteering at a nursing home and having an elderly resident tell you that she had “the most fun she’s ever had”. I’m beginning to see that the 2 hours a week that I’m spending there are one of the best investments I’ve ever made with my time.

Liking a class that you thought you were going to hate.

Having a roommate that makes the world’s best cookies, and tells you that you can have as many as you want.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, volunteering for a job you love makes you feel really great! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubbabee
Neophyte
Member # 96010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubbabee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is talking to yourself, and giggling at yourself and the randomness of the comments.
it is being home alone, having music playing loud and singing along because it doesn't matter how bad you sound.
it is giggling with your best friend
walking away from an exam knowing that you have done your best and can do no more
it is anything for me, that just ends up with me putting my head back, and thinking how happy I am.

Posts: 3 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happiness is when my brother hugs me.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bubbabee, I agree with your answers 100 percent! It took a long time for me to get that "I did the best I could" feeling about my exams - and when I did acquire that feeling, it wouldn't always "show up" when I needed it to - but that calm is so relieving!

[ 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hapiness is:

Going to the farmer's market and the bakery with my family

Eating fresh local strawberries

Dancing through the grocery store not caring who sees, and embarassing my sister in the process

Reading some good ol' sci fi

Having a perfect cup of coffee

Feeling confident about my grad dress, and loving it

Knowing that my parents saw "The L word" in the list of recently watched on Netflix and no caring

Happiness comes from the simple things.

I have been happy for the past day and a half and I love it.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chilling out emotionally!
Posts: 684 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long, long swim, with sauna breaks and coming home for a big bowl of mushroom soup.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bookwormfairy
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bookwormfairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAPPINESS is:

knowing you have found a guy that truly cares for your wellbeing and treats you with respect

knowing that you had a second chance at life

laughing and hanging out with people who care about you

having someone completly understand you

reading a good book

--------------------
~Lillian

Posts: 263 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completing all your uni for the semester and having some time off. <grin>

[ 06-22-2012, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Caring for people within your limits, and providing a kind word or two (and hugs) when you can. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.