Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » I said yes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I said yes.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to talk to the e-pal who says he likes me, and we decided to give a romantic relationship a go. I've talked to him on the phone and we trust each other. We obviously can't have sex what with the distance but neither of us would really want to even if we were near enough, so that's okay. I'm a little weirded out by the whole situation, but I figured it's worth trying. I've denied myself a lot of things over the years because of fear that they might not go well, and I don't think I can do it with this. For all I know one of us might relocate one day. Even if nothing does come of it eventually, we'll both have good memories, and I'm sure we'll remain friends. Fingers crossed.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How exciting! I've very happy for you. [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know where it's going to go from here. Pretty much all that's changed so far is what words we use to refer to each other. I have no idea how I'm going to tell my parents, since I came out to my mum as asexual a couple of months ago and from her point of view this is going to look like taking it back ... I don't know. I think he's worth it though.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, all we know regarding our orientation is how we feel now. I think it's unfair that people get upset when we need to change our labels. There's this myth that when you label yourself with regards to your orientation, you are somehow not meant to ever change it. But labels are only references, and no one has knowledge of their entire future and how everything relates to everything else. Just see how it goes and take it from there. [Smile] If you don't want a label, or you want an accurate label, choose "questioning" or maybe better would be "undecided". (If others don't like it that's their problem. [Smile] )

[ 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Wesluck, I get what you're saying (and mizchastain, correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe that mizchastain means that this still fits within asexuality, for her. But that her mother will see it as not fitting within asexuality and may percieve it as taking back her coming out.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Yeah, that's what I meant. Coming out was awkward enough. Is it appropriate to tell her via email? I don't want to confront her face to face and this way I can link her to some websites which explain it better than I can.

Just had a fortune cookie which said "good news will come from far away". Appropriate [Smile]

Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether it makes sense to tell her via e-mail is really about the dynamic you have with her. Does it seem like it would alleviate any stress bound to the situation, or would it be more likely to create anxiety about discussing it the next time you saw her? (And if you don't mind me asking, do you live with your parents?) I think that if it seems like a good option that there is nothing wrong with it. [Smile]

--------------------
~moonlight

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

I live independently most of the time but stay with my parents at weekends. My mum did once say that if there was anything I wanted to tell say that I couldn't say out loud I could email instead, so maybe I should.
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Then yeah, it sounds like your mother would be just as receptive to this news via e-mail as she would in person, and like you'd feel better about it too, so I'd say if that's what you want to do, go ahead.

--------------------
~moonlight

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, as in romantic asexual. Got it.
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Decided to get it over with and tell my parents face to face. Was a lot easier than I expected, and they're okay with it. Yay! [Smile]
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

That's awesome! I'm so glad it went well for you!

--------------------
~moonlight

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for you!! It's great that everything worked out with your parents! [Smile]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.