Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » YAY! For a society better educated on the impact of domestic violence/sexual abuse!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YAY! For a society better educated on the impact of domestic violence/sexual abuse!
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of months ago, my therapist told me something interesting. She stated that her organization was approached by a judge who asked if there were any abuse survivors who wouldn't mind submitting a copy of their artwork. The art will be exhibited in a gallery for the purpose of deepening the understanding of the impact of domestic violence/sexual abuse on women and teens. I jumped at this proposal, and immediately volunteered for my artwork to be submitted.

Then, my therapist called me today telling me that someone else from the University of Toronto is also interested in the artwork. Again, I enthusiastically volunteered for my art to be submitted. This time, the purpose is to study the art for a deeper understanding of the impact of domestic violence/sexual abuse on women and teens.

So, the point of the above rant is: I'm so happy that there are people who are interested in learning more about how survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse are impacted by what they had been through! I hope that my art, even marginally, will contribute to a better understanding of those who have been abused (including a better educated society free of harmful misconconceptions), and that the resulting conclusions from the research be used to develop more effective treatment programs for survivors. That is all I hope for!

So, a big YAY!!! [Big Grin]
I truly hope that research and education will help people to understand and be better able to support survivors, for I am one!! [Smile]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is awesome!

And it's really outside of the box, which is something that research about, well anything, but abuse survivors in particular , tends not to be.

Plus it's pretty neat to get to have your art displayed.

Go you and go the people doing this research!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are all so very cool and inspiring. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is super cool!

I am also a survivor and I've been thinking about doing art therapy, I've heard really great things about art therapy and healing from trauma!

I also think it's really cool that you now have a role to play in research that will hopefull help other survivors one day. High five!

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone! [Smile]

Recently I've felt slightly discouraged about producing more artworks (I've done 3 so far) that relate to the trauma because..well...my therapist encourages me to bring them in whenever I've finished them, and I began worrying that she might not want to look at them anymore if I bring in too many....she hasn't indicated anything of the sort; it's just a anxious thought (maybe irrational) that I have based on what ifs.

But I'm quite encouraged by this turn of events. [Smile] I think I will go back to painting again whenever I feel inclined to do so, and not feel bad about showing these to my therapist. Based on her eagerness to tell me of opportunities to use my art to help others understand the pain of trauma, I guess my fears are completely unfounded. [Smile]

So, back to painting I will go!

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rosalia
Activist
Member # 82681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rosalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful news! Admittedly, after suffering sexual abuse myself, I couldn't understand a lot of things about myself anymore. Truthfully, I still don't my therapist had suggested drawing as an outlet for me, but it caused unwanted memories for me.

I'm glad you've had this chance to not only progress your own healing, but give me and so many others insight into what goes on in the damaged mind. I hope I get to see these artworks someday. This is essentially a yay for me as well!

--------------------
"Always remember this little sister, no mater where you or I go, no matter what happens to the either of us, know that I'll always be with you in your heart." - R.I.P my friend.

Posts: 125 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.