Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Go on, fish for a compliment. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Go on, fish for a compliment.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might have heard someone describe you or someone else as "fishing for a compliment" at some point.

The thing is, sometimes we want and need validation or recognition, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

So, do you want a compliment? Ask for one, and someone else here can deliver it to you gladly. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like one please. [Smile]

While I'm here, Heather, you're a really wonderful person who's inspired me for years now to be more proactive about making sure people feel valued, and able to enjoy their sexuality, and able to get informed, and calling out hurtful or unhelpful comments people make, identifying what in my world I want to change and how I can do it. That's not to mention you being my champ for so long and helping me to develop my own agency for myself and my sexuality. Yay, thank you! (:

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, bless!

And happy to give one! What I think is really cool about you, Joseph, is that having observed you (that sounds so clinical, but I don't mean it that way) move through being a younger teen to an adult during your time here, you seem to have done this really cool thing where you've expanded who you are, and outgrown some things that clearly weren't serving you, while retaining the spirit of who you were in all the best ways. I've always appreciated your openness and your candor, your willingness to try and look at things beyond your own lens (while at the same time standing up for your own ideas), and what's very clearly big-time good-heartedness.

I also really admire how compassionate you are with others, and how much of yourself you obviously put into your interactions with other people.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, can I have a compliment please (and I'll also have the cheesy chips and the raspberries and strawberries with cream).

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

You so can!

I LOVE your creativity, Jill. It's practically in every post of yours. I also admire how deeply you obviously think about things and the way that you stand up for what you believe in.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could I have a compliment, pls?

(Also, Heather, thank you for engaging with my comments on your Slutwalk article (I forgot to log in. Derp.))

[ 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: treetops ]

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

treetops, you're a badass! And I mean that in the best way possible. I love your passionate politics.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take one, [Smile] . In a community like this, you learn a lot about people who you don't even have a face to put to, and it's always cool to see what someone notices about you!

And while I'm here, I'll join the bandwagon and leave one for you, Heather. Well, not so much of a compliment as a rather flattering fact.

Any time I see a news article or a news clip that mentions you or Scarleteen (I recently remember seeing one from a Chicago paper that you posted on here, which was the coolest, since I think Chicago is the most awesome city EVER), I get this feeling of pride that says "Yeah, that's right, I know her.". It makes me feel really cool to know that I've had so much firsthand contact with "the expert".

[ 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Atonement ]

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take one as well, please [Smile]
Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi polyprotic! I haven't known you that long, so I took some time to go back and read through your old posts. [Smile]

It's clear to me that you're an awesome communicator, someone who really takes how other people are feeling into account at the same time as being awesome for making big efforts to look after your own needs. You take a lot of time to help other people out on here in a super empathetic way and you clearly have an all-around reserve of awesomeness you share with people, too. [Smile]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Atonement: you've always struck me as such an incredibly thoughtful person, who really digs deep in your thoughts and feelings, even when the surface of things would be much more comfortable.

You also are clearly very, very caring about others. I also have seen you take a couple of risks in your life where you weren't so sure, but felt you needed to take that journey, an adventuring spirit I think is admirable.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm hope everyone isn't limited to one compliment [Wink]

Jill:
I like how you challenge stereotypes about Aspergers syndrome and about being queer and make me think. You're not scared to be different. You're kind, strong and not afraid to talk about social justice and human rights. You inspire me [Smile] .

Me too?

[ 08-17-2011, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eryn, I admire how you're living your life as a queer asian woman with so much bravery and trying to change people's lives and challenge their prejudices to make a better world, and thank you for checking up on me when I've been at my lowest, it means so much and shows how caring you are, you're very empathetic and I can see how much you care about your family. Also, that was a very good compliment [Smile]

[ 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel sort of silly saying this, but...could I have a compliment?
Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been here for a day and I've only posted a few times but could I get a compliment iou for when you know me better?

[ 08-20-2011, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: ananab ]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give you one right now, just from reading your last post ---

ananab, you seem like a really caring and empathetic person. You care a lot about your friend who is having issues and you even asked us how you can help. Caring about people, feeling empathy and wanting to help people out when they're in tough situations are pretty awesome qualities to have in our world - so great job and big hugs. :-)

And Kawani3792, I've noticed you helping out fellow users on the boards and that's SO GREAT. You give awesome insights and even go so far as to dig up links and such for them to look at. You have such a wonderful balance of asking questions, helping others and also contributing to our little community here - you're like a model Scarleteen-er.. we should really give you a badge. :-)

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleylynn
Neophyte
Member # 47356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love a compliment!
Posts: 25 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this thread is an awesome idea!

I'd like a compliment please.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel silly asking because oftentimes, the only way I can get compliments is by saying something mean about myself so someone could tell me the opposite. I could use a bash-free-compliment. [Smile]
As I need to dart off now I think I'll return later to give my compliments to others.

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haleylynn: One comment that stuck out from you was where you posted "I look forward to the rest of my life just the way I am." You have something so many people strive for in life - a happiness and contentment to be who you are. you're a strong and positive individual who is not afraid to be yourself - and that's amazing!

moonlight bouncing off water: I see you as a genuinely caring and helpful person. I see from this thread here that you help care for your other you know when they need you, and from your time posting here that you do the same with people you don't know - showing a compassion for humanity [Smile]

Cian: You have what I've always called the "breath of fresh air" quality about you. You've gone through some rough patches, and find a way when things turn out okay through a lot of work and time to sit back with a "Yep... it's okay." It reminds some of us that are run-run-run to stop and enjoy the little moments where something is just right or too perfect, even if it means just stopping and literally smelling a flower once in a while.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is so fantastic! And, uh, I could use a compliment. (Are volunteers allowed to ask?)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5768 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for georgiexx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....i feel silly asking, but could i have a compliment? not sure if anyone even has read my posts
Posts: 176 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karyn:
From seeing you on the boards as a volunteer, I think you are very caring and patient in how you interact with people. It's lovely how you share parts of your experience that people can relate to, so they don't feel alone. As well, I think (?) you do sex education as your day-job which is something I really admire. Most of us wouldn't have the urge or ability/talent to do this well, although it is such important work which changes peoples' lives.

georgiexx:
You sound like a sensitive and sweet person who really cares about your Mum. But you are also very strong and doing a great job of dealing positively with more than your fair share of recent tough challenges. Do hang in there and take care of yourself, ok? [Smile]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To EVERYONE on Scarleteen: You are all awesome! The community here is fantastic, I feel comfortable sharing some of my most intimate thoughts with a group of people I've never met in person. I know that no one is going to make fun or be rude (or on the off chance that they do, they're going to receive allot of flak for it) and that my questions are going to be answered with accuracy and plenty of information.

You all rock!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I think I could use a compliment. =)
Posts: 244 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skies: Having seen you around the boards, I can tell you're a very strong willed person. You continue to work through problems and hardships with a high head and I've seen you helping others around the site find information - so obviously thoughtful and caring about others. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't need a compliment, but I wouldn't mind one. <grin>
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loneranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i feel extremely silly to be asking for a compliment, but i guess i could really use one today.

--------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;

Posts: 94 | From: Hyderabad | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

loneranger: that's easy! (And sorry for the wait!) You're clearly more fearless than you think you are. You're also obviously pretty amazing at following your heart and being true to it, even when you feel scared. I thin that's a really amazing quality.

WesLuck: it's been great having you here at the boards! I really value how supportive you are of people and how thoughtful you are. I also really like the way you move discussions forward and are clearly a big thinker. Your sense of fairness -- your expectations of people to be their best in that respect -- also is really awesome.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Shahla
Neophyte
Member # 58955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this is my first post here apart from my own queries, i would like, instead of ask, to GIVE a huge combined compliment to all the Scarleteen volunteers for being so amazing and patient and always there [Smile]

And a specific compliment to Heather for all the good work over the years. I admire you so much! [Smile]

Posts: 30 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto Shahla!
Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't go past that! I agree.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all (just under 20 minutes to go here), and happy Boxing Day (26 December in Australia) for those who have already ticked past midnight. [Smile]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loneranger
Activist
Member # 78998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loneranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanku Heather... [Smile] that was a wonderful christmas gift for me [Smile]

--------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;

Posts: 94 | From: Hyderabad | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi... if anyone remembers me, I'd like to do some fishing, too. If not, there's no problem, I have changed my ID no that a long time ago. Also, checking what I have written under this name, I have re-read a post where I have tried to explain what an other user might have been thinking using mainstream concepts about attractions and gender, and ended up hurting others because I didn't clarify that it was meant to be just a translaton, so sorry again.
Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
naplement; I remember you! I wouldn't worry about that other thread; it's so easy to be misunderstood on the internet - it happens to all of us.

I really think you're a person that will do and already does a huge amount of good in the world. You're extremely aware of the gender role culture puts on us around sex, and you raise awareness to get those harmful ideas broken down. Keep fighting the good fight!

You also go out of your way to support posters here and are often standing up for those in tough spot. You're a fantastic person to have on one's side!

You write beautifully to people in your support even though English isn't your first language. It's lovely to have you round here!

[ 01-09-2012, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Seashy Rae ]

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.