Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Have a goal/target? Post it here and get encouragement!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have a goal/target? Post it here and get encouragement!
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of adding to the "Hopes and Dreams" topic, but I'm not necessarily thinking of something on the "world peace" or "find someone to spend rest of life with" or "have children and turn them into happy adults over the course of 18+ years" scale, if you want to post that here that's totally cool, but I wanted to make room for smaller goals too, or at least ones that maybe many wouldn't categorise as hopes or dreams (which doesn't mean you can't, but if you yourself feel like it doesn't quite fit, then hopefully this thread will be a good fit?)

A starting list of mine:

Eat four helpings of fruit and/or veg everyday for a week - Five seems a little too much to start off with, so I'm starting with four.

Brush and floss teeth everyday for two weeks - I'm starting with once a day, and then hope to eventually move to twice a day (though I might just floss in the evenings).

Cook a meal (or possibly several meals worth of the same dish) once a week, or at least boil some frozen vegetables or some eggs or something - I haven't cooked in ages, so I want to get back to doing it at least some of the time, I don't think I could realistically cope with cooking every evening (in fact I couldn't stand it), but I don't want to never cook again, so hence this goal.

Prepare a sandwich before going out instead of buying one while out - I haven't got a specific timeframe for this, but I never seem to remember to do it, so I'm trying to actually remember to get ingredients and thus save money and actually be able to eat a sandwich on wholemeal bread, as most prepackaged ones are on white or malted.

Wash my hair once a week - I used to do this, but I've gotten out of the habit somewhat, so I want to start up again, I'm going to buy myself a new shampoo and conditioner as my old one ran out and then try and stick at it.

Learn Japanese (if not how to read and write it, at least how to speak it) - This has been a goal of mine for years, so I'm going to find a course and renshu, renshu, renshu! Ganbarimasu!

Read at least one manga volume every day for a month - I know there are other books out there, but this is the goal I've chosen, I started yesterday and I've accomplished it so far.

Watch 2 and 1/2 hours (the usual approximate length of six episodes) or more of anime per day - because of my DVD backlog and my love of anime.

Do some art for two hours once a week - Just a starting point, I hope to do more than that eventually.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the goals that you've put there Jill [Smile] they all seem good.

My goal is to work out what kind of goals I actually want to work towards lol.
Right now I'm leaning towards doing a Bachelor of Science course majoring in Chemistry.

In the short term I'm trying to find ways to vent my frustration, through art, writing or music.

I'm also trying to get really fit, one day I want to get into parkour. There's parkour courses in a city near where I live.

I'd love to learn Japanese, and I also intend to resume learning Spanish, which I had to abandon to complete other studies this year.

Another goal is to save cash to go skydiving again, I did it earlier this year and it was one of the best things ever.

Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify what I said earlier, I actually meant that I want to brush my teeth both in the morning and the evening, but I may not floss in the mornings, just in the evenings.

And now to try and accomplish some of these goals for today.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laudividni987456321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to set myself some goals too, I like how you make them very realistic (Esp the fruit and veg [Smile] )

1) I want to lose 30kg (I am actually that overweight). I plan to do this by keeping up my 2*Zumba classes a week (maybe upping it to 3 time permitting) and 2-3 times a week complete a resistance workout.

2) Eat healthier. I plan to do this by small daily steps in addition to bigger ones. For example: just keep walking when I go past the lolly jar at work (but treating myself with a small chocolate if i've been very good that day) and by eating a salad based meal for lunch not chip based.

3) I want to stop worrying about catching cold sores from unrealistic ways. I plan to do this by learning more about the virus and how it is and isnt transfered and by when i am worried/stressing about it by talking myself down from the ledge (metophoric) by telling myself things i've learnt such as 'it dies quickly' and 'would someone else worry about this?' and if i cant calm down to talk to someone. I have already achieved a significant goal on this by stopping my google obsession. I know ask on trusted sites such as gov. funded sites, Scarleteen and justanswer.com where I'm talking to real people.

4) I want to improve my relationship with my bf. I'll do this by controlling my worry about cold sores. by being more patient and reminding/asking myself 'would i treat my best friend like this'

5) Seriously plan/sort through plans to move across the country for work opportunities, but if i feel i cant accept this and not beat myself up for chosing a different path.
I'm hoping to acheive most of these goals by the end of the year or mid way through next.

Posts: 130 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new goal. To earn money. My parents raised me on the dole, and both complained how they never had money. When they never worked for anything.
I'm not going to be like that. I'm going to start saving my cash. Until I have $2000 saved I'm going to refrain from spending excessively.

My long term goal is to have enough cash to support myself and to be able to move away from home... so I can finally get peace and quiet.

Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just hit my goal of 100 days without self injury [Smile] Here's to the next 100! =D
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wahooo! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Congratulations techie =)

I've got a good job, and was recently able to go on a schoolies with my friends and have a great time.

I'm now able to save up for things I need, like a car, and eventually to rent a house. I'm trying to be more responsible with my cash, and ensure I save some of my paycheck each week.

So I'm well on my way to achieving one of my goals.

JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Turns out I failed high school, so basically I want to turn my life around. I did a lot better academically this year, and passed every subject, unfortunately I was failed because I failed one unit last year. Which really sucks... especially considering my dad walked out and stole all my money at the time I failed, plus he assaulted my mum and tried to manipulate me. So basically, whilst I will apply for special considerations for that incident. I want to turn aspects of my life around, and I'm getting back into studying for myself, not for a mark, not so I can get a grade, just for the sake of learning. I used to love learning and still do, I just found it hard to do at school with so many distractions, and the stress they put on everything just took any enjoyment out of it. Ironically I was one of the highest scoring students in many of my classes, yet their system still failed me...
Anyways, if anything I'm more determined to keep making positive changes towards my life.

[ 12-19-2011, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: JackT ]

treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making it a goal to speak out more, because the idea of doing so terrifies me and my anxiety disorder doesn't help but that isn't an excuse to stand by and not call people out on stuff. My awesome counsellor is helping me work on this.

And I did call someone out today, admittedly online to someone I only vaguely know IRL, but still. I am pleased with the way I did it, I think I was clear and unapologetic without being aggressive. Not sure it's going to change the way they behave, but I feel like I've done what I can in the situation.

Now to work on doing it more IRL, even if initially it's just something as simple as saying 'I disagree with you'.

[ 01-12-2012, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: treetops ]

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(You know, treetops, you are probably the user here who sends the most mod notices, including with things where you are asking us to consider the soundness of a given post being around, and i *really* appreciate that. It's really helpful, and clearly an awesome example of how good you can be with speaking out.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.