Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Moving on, moving up.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving on, moving up.
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well many of you know I have decided to move to our capital city when I get back from the middle east, and things are getting organised very fast all of a sudden!

I have my ferry booked and paid for, it's a 5-6 hour drive to Picton where the Ferry is then it's 3 hours across the cook straight to Wellington, then I am there!

Today I went to the health spa after doing some work for my sisters boss, as I have never treated myself before like that, so I thought why not. And it did help. I am getting my hair all cut and changed colour on saturday because I want to go into my new life as fresh and new as I can. This move is SUCH a big deal for me. I never thought I would actually say screw it and go, leave my mum behind, and all the people who "need me". I am feeling good, I am doing this for ME. I have already got some job interviews up there which is fantastic, well paying, office jobs, easy stuff that I am good at.

I have contacted some old friends who I have missed dearly who are up there, and we are having a welcome dinner the weekend I arrive, so I am stoked about that.

I am feeling really great about this move. I am excited as hell. I know I still have the legal case to deal with, and I still have the stuff in my head but I think not having to worry about leaving the house will be the best feeling a girl could have after more than a decade of feeling terrified.

Anyway, I am ranting, but I just wanted to share my big Yay! Things are moving forward, and I am finally going to get a little taste of a better life.

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for you! This is awesome, I'm so glad you've done such a wonderfully positive thing for yourself! This is amazing!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the best! Sounds like a lot of great changes for you [Smile]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you nixieGurl!

[ 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, all the best in this new exciting phase of your life! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go you! This post put a huge smile on my face.

I know you can do this. I'm so glad you have friends there to welcome you. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Nixie!! This is so fantastic, I'm glad you're really stoked and happy about being able to just relax! Here's to life getting so, so, so very much better!! *raises glass* [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw thanks so much guys. I am doing really well right now. I also have been offered a job at home paying over $700 per week, just doing office admin stuff which I have been doing here for less than half that. Wow my life may be taking a positive turn.
Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Okay so i am leaving the middle east in the morning... up at 4:30am and I am then facing over twenty hours of flight time.. ugh. I'm not very excited about home admittedly. But it will be ok I am sure.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safe travel wishes! [Smile]

Ad don't forget, Christchurch is only a pitstop for you right now. I know it's a very, very loaded one, but thinking about it that way might help.

Or heck, like a launching pad. After all, you're only going there so you can get to somewhere better, right?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Thanks Heather,

I am back now... the travelling was not so nice, I am the idiot who always agrees to swap seats so some people can sit together etc only to figure out after an hour exactly why they wanted to swap... big guy snoring on your shoulder and German guy on other side with some kinda puking bug... awesome. Not.

Anyway travels aside, I am home and things are going ok which is a surprise. I am at my cousins place packing my stuff, stayed last night and tonight, jet lagged as hell as didnt sleep at all in the two days of flying, but I am so determined to pack and get going. I am so stoked to see the kids though, they are all over me and I am loving it lol. The little one is walking now and the two of them have been enjoying me pushing them around the floor in my suitcase, even more than the toys I got them, which is not a surprise. I am glad to spend two days with them to say goodbye. I have promised to fly The boy up for a weekend and my cousin is cool with it, so next time I come down here I will bring him back with me and spoil him, so that makes me feel better about going.

I am almost all packed but I am, terrible at not throwing away what really needs to be thrown away... I am too sentimental about stupid things, like for whatever reason I was given something I just can't throw it away because of that or whatever.

I have had a few run in's with people already, its a small place, but have been enjoying the freedom of not being in the middle east because here I can tell them to F*** off in public and just leave without being put in jail. So that has been nice lol.

Friday is the day I leave and drive to Wellington. I am SO excited. I have so many job interviews which I never thought I would get which has been such a good confidence booster for the whole job hunting thing, just to get interviews. I also got a letter from ACC which is the government place that is assessing my claim for sexual abuse, and after years of waiting I am finally being seen by their doctor. It also said if the doctor decides that I have been traumatized by it all they will pay me compensation up to $60, 000...! I don't expect it would work out that well but anything would help right now, even if it means I could pay to go back to school and finish my degree.

Anyway, i am rambling, jetlagged as all hell and need to try to go to bed on time to get my body back into NZ time. Thanks so much for all your help x x.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all REALLY good news. (Well, except for snoring-dude and puking-guy. But that's over now, thank goodness. [Smile] )

That's great to hear about ACC, and I certainly think you being compensated financially by a system which didn't serve you -- or others, who knows, it's clear no one has done their job protecting people from the man who has assaulted you -- would be more than appropriate. After all, it's certainly cost you, including in actual dollars.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Thanks,

Yeah I am hoping that at least they start to understand how hard things have been for me, even if I don't get the money, it would make life a lot easier for sure but even without that money, just having some understanding would be great. I think I have been more excited about finally being recognized as someone who has been trying hard to get my life together but things with him have made it so difficult, because at the moment the govt treats me pretty poorly.

I also am pretty stoked with my new hair as it makes me feel a little less recognizable which feels good. I usually have long black hair, so short sorta red hair is pretty much a great disguise!

today is super busy, packing and then appointments all afternoon with my counselor and case manager, lunch with a dear friend and afternoon visiting another friend who is pregnant, just nearly who due date, and her house has fallen apart in the earthquake. The govt are not helping her much either, so I got her a whole suitcase of stuff for her baby on the way. I am trying to see the good people who have stuck by me down here as much as possible while i am stuck here. I am sad to say goodbye but mostly just really looking forward to my new life. Freedom!

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you! You deserve every minute of your new life! [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.