Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » I'm at College!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm at College!
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally moved into my (temporary) dorm for the month! I don't move into my official dorm until the last week of August. My current roommates are awesome and, as you can see, I haz connection to the interwebs here!! [Big Grin]

Unfortunately I have a math exam in the morning (wish me luck!), but that's okay, because I'm so excited to still be able to talk to all of you on Scarleteen while I'm here! [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay yay yay for you! Sounds like a lot of fun!
Have a good time, and do your best with the math exam! I've no doubt that you'll be the best! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Sans! [Smile] Yeah, the math exam was pretty tough, but it was okay. I'm definitely having a blast here!

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea! That's awesome! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

I came out as bi to a few of my friends here (conversation about upcoming LGBT lunch that my school's offering and that I'm most definitely going to) at college and they were super chill about it! I found out that one of my friends (who I knew before college) was actually a very active straight ally member in her high school's LGBT-Alliance group. I'm really excited about the lunch and I'm just so happy to know that my university is known as one of the top 5 most LGBT-friendly campuses in the country. [Smile]

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Oooh, that's GREAT!! I'm so glad for you! Have a good time at the lunch! [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MusicNerd! Hooray! I'm so excited for you! What's your dorm like? I'm ecstatic that you've come out to some of your friends! Your honesty and bravery also prompted your friend to tell you about her alliance with the LGBT-Alliance group, so be very proud of yourself! Ugh, I hate math! Lol. I'm sure you did fine on your exam, you genius you!

And YAY for internet! I remember that setting up my internet at school was always a drag... I wanted it so badly! Lol. [Smile] I wish you all the best at college, and I am very proud at how inclusive it is!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Thanks, Copper! My temporary dorm is really similar to the permanent dorm, that I'll be moving into in the fall, that I described in my "Going to College" post a while back (mini-kitchen, bathroom, suite-style, etc.) and I'm actually rooming with a friend (the LGBTQ-ally I mentioned earlier) that I knew before the program. I've run into a dilemma though, but other than that I'm pretty much having a blast here! The food here is delicious and I actually ran into one of my best friends who went to my high school and has been like a big sister to me. [Smile] I can see myself gaining the Freshman 15 in the very, very near future. [Big Grin]

Setting up the internet actually wasn't so bad over here, and I too am excited about having the internet connection over here! I love talking to all of you on here. [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome! Right, I remember you describing that type of dorm to me before! I love how independent and liveable it sounds! That's great that your friend is so supportive! Wow, you're meeting everyone there! This must be a fantastic college! [Smile] That's great that you've met one of your best friends, and that she has been like a big sister to you all this time! It's always nice to have those types of people in our immediate and proximate support circle. I did respond to your dilemma post, and I hope that you are feeling about about that. [Smile]

The Freshman 15 is an interesting concept, but you'll probably burn off a lot of calories going to classes and walking around your dorm! I worried about gaining weight, too, but when you think about it, you're running to class, running home, and running to do appointments. You will probably not gain that much. [Wink] [Smile]

I know - that first initial "I have internet!" definitely offset any kind of frustration getting everything connected; and that feeling was just so euphoric - it's amazing! I'm glad you're having so much fun!

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

I saw your reply in my dilemma post, and I most definitely feel much better now about the situation (and I'm keeping you posted on stuff there). Thank you so much for replying! [Smile]

You know, I was talking about that with a few of my friends today. We're definitely burning calories! I've even been building up leg strength just from all the walking around I've been doing since it's a huge campus.

Random fact: The LGBT lunch randomly came up in conversation between one of my roommates and I, since I was asking her if she was going to any lunches this week and she said she wasn't. Then, she asked me if I was and I was like, "Yeah, I'm gonna go to the LGBT one since I'm bisexual." And she was like, "Oh, that's cool! Would you mind explaining to me how you knew you were bi?" And then I explained to her how I came to that conclusion and she pretty much told to me how she's bi-curious and how she was pissed off that her ex-boyfriend was trying to label her as "lesbian" since that's not something she identifies with. It was a really interesting and nice talk!

And thanks, I'm definitely having a blast! [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I'm glad you're feeling better! I'm like that too, though - if I think I said one thing wrong, little or not, I'll overanalyze it and beat myself up over it until I can somehow rectify it. It's a vicious cycle! Lol. Thank you so much for keeping me posted!

I agree with you wholeheartedly about walking, building up leg strength, and big campuses. I walked around so much that I eventually got used to it; and it's much harder I think to gain weight when you're doing all that walking! And once you settle into your own routine and diet, you'll know what you'd like to eat and what you won't want to eat. My residence was good for offering calorie-unwise stuff but also had sandwich and salad bars; so sometimes if I was in a hurry, I'd make myself a sandwich. They had some loaves of bread out at night with spreads; so I became OBSESSED with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Now I have one at least twice a week. Look at the influence school has on our diets! [Wink] I'm sure first year and gaining weight are different for everyone - I know people who gained weight and who lost weight during their first year - and I think that's all an accepted part of that kind of transition. Everyone goes through some adjustment.

That's so cool that you and your roommate had a discussion about the lunch! And a lunch is a great way to meet other students who share your views! Good for you for wanting to go! When is it again? I love how she asked how you came to identify that way. And after reading your post, I now have a huge problem with this girl's ex-boyfriend. First of all, if she was identifying as a lesbian, the chances of her dating a guy (though I know that can still happen) for a longer length of time and/or at least being somewhat physical with him in any way would be low, I would think. And I don't get why he'd even have the thought to label her as lesbian, since she's obviously dating him and was only being honest about being bi-curious. He sounds a bit judgemental. I know I am too and I can't always help it, but man, some things you just don't assume or say unless you have proof that that person is the way you're thinking! I don't think that made sense, sorry! You know, I sometimes think I am bi-curious too! I definitely check out and appreciate women's beauty. I asked my close guy friend if he ever checked out guys, and he made a scrunched-up face and said "no." I told him that I only asked (because it looked like I had offended him) because I often check out girls and guys, and just wanted to know if he did the same. It's weird and insane how homophobic guys are sometimes! Ironically, he teased me about being bisexual; but since I don't identify that way, we ended it at me being somewhat bi-curious. [Smile] (He likes teasing me a lot, and always laughs about how easy it is; so he wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything. [Smile] )

You're welcome! I'm glad you're having so much fun! [Smile] When do normal classes for you start? Mine started the second week of September, usually. It was kind of fun but also kind of annoying and scary to start all over again! [Wink]

--------------------

MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Yeah, all that walking's definitely gonna keep me in shape! lol That's good to hear that some adjustment is alright. And yes, I will continue to keep you updated

Hearing about what her ex said pissed me off, too. I agree that he was definitely being judgmental and that it didn't make sense for him to assume that she was a lesbian since, for most lesbians, being genuinely interested in going out with a guy is not part of the identity. I'm glad that you embrace your somewhat bi-curious side; but I think that guys being somewhat homophobic is a result of our society pretty much saying, "gay guys = not 'masculine', homophobia = 'masculine'". You know what I mean? I've noticed that society's more accepting of sexual fluidity for women than it is for men.

My normal classes start the first week of September. I can't wait to see which courses I get! [Smile]

[ 08-05-2012, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------

MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

I went to the LGBT lunch today, and it was pretty fun! I met some pretty awesome people there and I got some pins to put on my bag. [Big Grin]

There were a lot of straight people who went to the lunch and it made me really happy to see that! I think I've definitely made some new friends with the people who work there, so I'm excited to hang out there a lot more when the actual school year starts. [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

MusicNerd!

Allo! I'm so sorry that I didn't see your previous post! It's insane how people can just "accuse" others of being a certain sexual orientation. It would be like me saying, "Wow, that girl is hot," and then someone saying, "Oh, so you're a lesbian?" And what is the big deal about all this, anyway? If you are of a certain sexual orientation, that's great! No one needs to "label" or "judge" someone - let them be who they want to be! [Smile]

I agree with you wholehearedly about men and homophobia. It's weird how girls can flirt with other girls (and I do, too, with my friends and we all flirt back), yet guys REFUSE to acknowledge their gender's attractiveness. I agree with you about masculinity's misperception in our society. Gay guys can be so, so masculine; and then there can be straight guys who fit the "not macho" stereotype; so I don't get it.

I'm so happy that the LGBT lunch went so well! I am so excited to see that straight people went and supported that - it's their commitment to representing the entire group, which is great. You're so nice - I know you'll make lots of friends! Ooh, I like pins!! And I love decorating stuff! Now you will look at your bag with glee! [Big Grin]

Cool, your classes start soon! So are the classes you're in now part of the term in any way, or is it an advanced type of program or introductory classes? And now you'll have the lay of the land and will be ready for classes and going around campus! Please let me know what classes you get - that sounds so exciting! And thank you so much for keeping me in the loop!

--------------------

MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

I agree with you on the whole "accusing" people of being a certain sexual orientation thing. I'll be honest though, sometimes I might speculate about someone, especially when they're saying homophobic things, (like I did with Evan in this post here, since it didn't make sense to me that he was so comfortable admitting that a male actor is hot [which I think is pretty cool of him to admit since most guys I've met tend not to feel comfortable saying those things] while at the same time he's said those other homophobic things I've mentioned). I might think, "Oh, it seems to me that he/she/they could possibly be _________ or maybe _________," but I don't go, "There's no way that that person's __________!" Even at the end of my observations though, I pretty much come to a "Who knows?" or "Who cares?" sort of attitude about a person's sexual orientation. I just don't understand when people try and force a sexual orientation onto someone else, you know?

My girl friends and I flirt with each other all the time, and sometimes it makes some of my guy friends uncomfortable or laugh or roll their eyes and laugh since they're used to it (depending on my guy friends). Interestingly enough though, Evan and Tony pretend-flirt with each other despite having said those other things I mentioned earlier in the other thread.

The classes I'm in right now are part of this summer program that's like a head-start kind of thing where you are given a few classes (depending on what your area of study is) and you try to get acclimated to the college curriculum/life. I'll definitely let you know what I get in the fall, though! [Smile]

[ 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the best with all your studies! [Wink]

-hugs-

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.