Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » I finally did it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I finally did it!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've had something as a big want or a goal for a while, something you probably had to work on in some way, or be patient with, but you FINALLY did it!

What is it? Who knows.

Maybe you finally came out to someone. Maybe you got that job or into that school or program you wanted. Maybe you finished or started a creative project. Maybe you finally brought up that tough subject you've been putting off with a friend, partner or family member. Maybe you stood up for yourself. Maybe you accepted something about yourself you were having an awfully hard time accepting. Maybe you learned to flip an omelet or jump rope without strangling yourself.

Whatever it is, you finally did it! And that totally rocks. So, what was it?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought myself a skirt! I've been meaning to get one for about a year now, browsing hopefully in charity shops but never finding anything in my size that I like, so today after another disappointing try (I actually went in there because there's this absolutely lovely guy who works there who I have a crush on and I wanted to say hi, unfortunately he wasn't there either), I thought "that does it, I'm going to go to Evans (local larger size clothing store) and see if they have a sale on because I want a summery, swishy, hippy skirt that will keep my body at a pleasant temperature unlike the jeans I'm currently wearing". So I went there. And they did have a sale on. And after a bit of trying things out, I found a purple 100% cotton skirt that really suits me and a top to go with it and with my long hair (which I am going to get cut at some point because it's becoming a pain to manage) I look kind of like a mermaid in it (the top is blue with sequins and flowers on it). I like to dress pretty butch a lot of the time, but it's fun to wear something like this every now and then and it really cheered me up, I look so pretty! I'm not one to think of every time I buy something as an achievement, but in this case it really was a big deal for me, as this is the first time I've worn a skirt in about 6 years. I HAVE A SKIRT! YAY!

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got my new blog all set up and all the setup/admin stuff done. [Smile]

It's a Disability/Relationships happy blog - so it belongs in this area even more. Because hopefully one day soon it will be full of Yay!

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My second choice college accepted me, only a week after I sent the application!!!!!

I'm still holding out for my first choice school (they say I should know in late October or early November), but it's a huge relief to know that either way, I'll be going somewhere, and a very good somewhere at that!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllIsFullOfLove
Neophyte
Member # 75452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AllIsFullOfLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally recorded a complete song for the first time in months! It's finished, and something I can be proud to show people!

--------------------
♥All is full of love♥
♥You have to trust it♥

Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent the message to my best friend of several years, telling her (finally) that I used to have a crush on her. I've actually been having panic attacks, and keeping a secret, especially from a friend and someone I trust, ends up making me panic more, and it also makes me rude towards my best friend, because mentally, I think I'm trying to compensate for keeping a secret by not being anywhere near her, because obviously she can read how guilty I am on my face (yes, I am a horrible secret keeper).

When I came out, a friend said that I had two choices-I could either come out then, or I could wait until my brother no longer spoke to total strangers about personal stuff, my mom was no longer into psychology and talking about my feelings, and my dad was no longer too happy to embarrass his daughter. None of those things are likely to happen.
So...I had two choices...either keep a secret forever from a girl I think of as my big sister, or tell her. And sooner is better than later.

Prompted by panic attacks, who are in turn prompted by my insane fear of a heart attack. I am a morbid person who imagines what I want to say, or write, or something, as I die. I want to check "Tell her I loved her" off the list.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally destroyed the mental barrier that separated me from my sexuality and I accepted my friend's (and my own, in a major way) feelings and asked if she would like to go out with me. It was one of the scariest things I've ever done, and before I did it I got that feeling like before you jump in the ocean when you know it's really cold and you know it'll hurt (I live up north where the water is FREEZING) but you're super excited because nothing is more fun then playing in the ocean for a few hours.

I feel so great about myself that I was able to get up the courage to do something I'd been wanting to do (even if I refused to acknowledge it) for YEARS. I finally did it!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Kawani!

Adn Jill, I'm another butch that just bought a skirt... [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loststone
Activist
Member # 51804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loststone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told my best friend about my abusive ex today! (she was incredible, will update my other thread, but it's definitely a yay worth putting here too)
Posts: 134 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure is! Rock ON!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShanShan
Neophyte
Member # 49994

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ShanShan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year me and my friends thought it would great to start a GSA in our school, because the population in very pro-gay (at least the high school part is anyways ((we go to an early college))). But last year was a very rough year for the school and we were not able to make a new club and when the new year started we thought it was going to be impossible because it would have to be approved by the county board, which is extremely conservative.

But thanks to our planning and our schools new principle we finally got the club up and running and are having our first meeting this Thursday!

--------------------
I have a wonderful bunch of coconuts.

Posts: 28 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

You are all so awesome! Well done, ShanShan!

From my corner, it appears I have finally whittled my works hours to under 55 a week. Some weeks, I was getting as high as almost 70 hours in a week, which I don't have to tell you is beyond ridiculous.

Hasn't been easy, and I've been having to learn to just accept that cutting my hours and taking care of myself means everything is just not going to get done, but I'm getting there.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time since the abusive relationship with my ex I talked to the person I wanted to be involved with about it and my issues surrounding it rather than simply running away from them and/or playing along.

And for the first time in a long time I said "no" when I wanted to. I said no and it was immediately respected.

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Those are two seriously amazing things!

(I love this thread.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

I finally got a hula hoop trick down that has been frustrating me for MONTHS. I can do this now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7HlNLJ4VGU

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, that's awesome! That looks really difficult.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kylia
Neophyte
Member # 54636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kylia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally moved out on my own and in with my partner! [Smile] I'm finishing up my senior year and we're taking care of ourselves. It's been so great to be independent this early on (I moved across countries at 17 and this is my second year being back in my home country) and it's so liberating. I'm just so proud of myself and grateful that I can take this opportunity to finally look after myself, take time for my partner and focus time and energy on school.
Posts: 10 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I filled something in in a short-story-idea-swapping community rather than just requesting ideas. The requester seemed to like it [Smile]

I handed out job applications to a couple of places as well. Even if I don't get accepted for any of the jobs, at least I tried, and I'm not currently in dire need of a job so it's okay, and they'll have my applications on file in case they do need me later.

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More: I started going to the gym! Can't do it every day, but once or twice a week is better than nothing if I can remember to keep it up. I paid for the membership, so that's a motivation [Wink]

I'm also starting my final-year university project. Wish me luck?

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it mizchastain! Ace that university project!

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good wishes for your project, mizchstain.

I was feeling sick of wearing unisex clothes, and I am away from home for work reasons for several months, so I went out to the local hypermarket (expensive brand stuff is not my bag, fortunately enough since I can't afford it) and I bought myself a men's sweater and a men's T-shirt. Here in France men fortunately tend to be smaller than in the US or in Northern Europe, so I can usually wear a standard French men's Small size without swimming in it.

Mind, the money I spent on the clothes I don't actually have, it's borrowed, since I don't get paid till the end of October, and now I am worryingly short. Also, there was an embarrassing exchange at the till having to do with my not knowing the French for coat hanger. I'm sensitive to that kind of thing and I promise you I will still be cringing about it years from now. And of course, when I move back home, I will have to hide the men's sweater at least, and make d*mned sure it is not found. BUT. Here I am in the shirt and the sweater feeling fairly euphoric. And I'm getting used to walking round in these unambigously male garments. It's nervewracking at first but I haven't been hassled, even though I'm living in an area full both of fairly conservative Muslims and of Orthodox (not Hasidic, though) Jews. Real gender expression ftw.

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got over to the campus LGBT group's "space" and met some good people. Also, I've been talking more openly about being disabled and had some good conversations.

Also made some jewelry. That's not at all new, but these ones looked particularly good. [Smile]

Also, went to the protests on the weekend.

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

I told my mum about my asexuality. Slightly awkward, but no big problems. I think I'll wait a bit before I try to tell my dad - he won't mind as such, but I know my relationship with him well enough to know it'll be more awkward.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

I've also started repairing my own clothes. I have hand-eye coordination problems, so I put off learning, but I figured it was time I tried.
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

mizchastain: Congrats on the conversation with your mom. Also, being able to mend clothes is a pretty neat, useful skill to have. [Smile]

--------------------
-Carl Sagan

-Silmarillion

JenBug24
Activist
Member # 53839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenBug24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally managed to get myself on proper housing registers (including Stonewall Housing! xD) to finally leave an abusive household. The ball is actually rolling, and I can't wait until I can get somewhere. [Smile]
Posts: 45 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

YES!!!!!!!

Oh, JenBug, that is so completely wonderful. What day-making news.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this thread is awesome.

My 'finally': I went to the local trans group today, which I had been wanting to do for ages and ages but had been too scared. I basically just sat there like a lemon, but still. At least I went and hopefully next time I will manage to talk to some people.

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

That rocks, treetops!

You probably also already know this, but with any support group, it's most common for new members to just observe the first few times, because having trust right off the bat, or feeling comfy right off the bat is pretty unusual.

(Plus, I like lemons! [Razz] )

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just made an agreement to move to a specific flat, moving in (to a new place for both) with Partner, as housemates-in-a-relationship rather than ultra-couply, to a new and bigger town, in a different country, where I am not a native speaker... I have been planning this for ages, and I've been really really sure it's the right thing, and now it's real and happening in a few weeks. I am so happy. Scared. But happy. And excited. And somewhat overwhelmed at moving my entire life, and the remnants of my mother's. But mostly so very happy that the life I want can finally begin and I get out of a bad situation and into a good one. And I can hardly comprehend that this is really real. I will finally have a place where I feel safe and accepted and where I will not feel so practically and socially alone. This is finally happening!

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

How absolutely exciting, Redskies! Mazel tov!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Redskies! I'm so happy for you!!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds so awesome, Redskies! Have a blast! [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for you, Redskies! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is so wonderful Redskies! All the best with your new life!
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.