Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » A Week of Nix-the-Ickies Challenge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Week of Nix-the-Ickies Challenge
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There might be some things in your life that are just plain bad news, or make you feel crummy, that you keep doing or taking part of when you just don't have to.

For instance, maybe you read a site or blog online that always makes you angry or upset, that never offers you anything good, but it's such a trainwreck, you just can't seem to pull yourself away. (Do I know something about this? Why yes, I do! [Smile] )

Maybe you keep following the Facebook or MySpace or Twitter of an ex-somebody, and not just to see how they are out of concern now and then.

Maybe you have friends who gossip or talk you-know-what that you don't have to spend time with, or could walk away once they get started bad-mouthing, but you don't. You wind up taking it all in, maybe even passively participating.

Maybe there's someone or something just plain toxic for you emotionally that you keep around or are drawn to.

Whatever thing -- or things, plural -- like this you might have, I challenge you to one week solidly away from whatever it is, in the interest of cultivating more Yay! and less Ugh.

Are you up for it?

If so, what's your thing? Post it here, then take just one week away and come back, and post how you feel. If you need cheering on during that week to stay away from the baddies, come on by and we'll wave our collective pom-poms.

Ick-be-gone!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cracking my knuckles. I do it constantly to relieve stress and while I know the jury's still kind of out on whether there are any harmful effects, I have been feeling a bit of pain in those joints lately, it seems to have gone away now, but to be on the safe side I'd rather just give it up, I wouldn't do that with just anything where it was commonly believed to be harmful but there was no scientific evidence (masturbation for instance), but since it won't do me any physical harm not to deliberately crack my knuckles and it's something I do to relieve stress rather than because I actually enjoy it and I could probably find another better stress reliever (like more masturbating! Squeezy toys! Petting the cat! Watching/listening to/reading stuff that makes me feel happy and relaxed! Taking my stronger anti-anxiety meds when I need them! Eating tasty food! Exercise on those occasions when I think it will actually help! Take painkillers if I have pain that they can treat!) and also can work on some of the stuff that makes me so stressed in the first place (such as my intrusive thoughts), I really would rather just give it up.

So, I'm going to try my best.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down. I'm actually starting to have panic attacks (they only started a couple nights ago, but I went into my parents' room in tears at 4am, convinced I was having a heart attack) because I'm worrying so much about health issues, and I yawn a lot which gets too much oxygen in my system and I start hyperventilating and feel like I can't breathe, and that doesn't help at all...
Although I've noticed that having something else to concentrate on helps. For example, I started my period last night and haven't panicked since. Nothing like debilitating cramps to take my mind off terrifying thoughts!

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have another one: I am going to try not to go on any message boards other than Scarleteen, this isn't so much one of those things I want to give up permanently as something I want to do a lot less, because I have a huge collection of unwatched DVDs and unread books and I'd rather make time for them than spend time on internet message boards/forums, I'm happy to go on Scarleteen because it's a safe space and I get to help people out, but everywhere else I only want in small doses or not at all.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

I know I keep on adding stuff, and this will be my last one for this week, but I want to not go on the internet before 9pm/21:00 (with a list of exceptions which I won't outline here as it would take too long, it includes things like looking up cinema times and checking my internet banking if I need to, stuff like that), for the same reason as the whole "no message boards/forums other than Scarleteen" thing: I want more time for other stuff. I'm doing well with my other two goals by the way. And now to turn off the computer.

--------------------

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gong to stop checking on my ex-partner's online profiles. Seeing his picture and anything related to him makes me feel upset and sad. Looking at his myspace isn't going to make him step up and be a father to MY son (see what I did there?), so I'm not going to do it. For a week.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to stop always thinking up and inventing problems in my relationship and stop bringing up these imaginary problems with my boyfriend (I don't set out to create these imaginary problems, it more a case of worrying that a problem could come to exist or worrying because there are no problems and then convincing myself that there is a problem). Doing that creates real problems and doesn't make anything better. If problems arise I'll deal with them then, but I can't deal with future problems now.

I'm going to stop worrying so much. I lie awake at night worrying that the house will burn down or that I'll have a seizure in the night (and I'm not even epileptic so that fear has no sound base) or that a burglar will (or occasionally is) breaking in, etc. These fears are not based in reality and like the above, if it happens I'll deal with it then.

And I'm going to spend more time with my sister. Before I know it she and I will both be grown and moved out of the house.

I'm going to start that last one now (and I suppose stop the other two as well).

[ 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: moonlight bouncing off water ]

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally did it and I feel very good about it. I sorta feel the need to track my son's dad, just to try and be aware of where in the world he is - just a little, but doesn't need to be all of the time.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.