Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » The Positive Body Image MixTape

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Positive Body Image MixTape
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were making a mix tape of songs about positive body image, what songs would you use and why? (lists and polls are pointless, but discussion is golden!)

Post artists and titles of songs that inspire you to be positive about yourself. Tell us why, and while you cannot post entire lyrics, give us some highlights.

I just saw india.arie perform today, and she sang a song called "Video" and not only did it have a whole bunch of soul, but the song rang true.

quote:

When I look in the mirror and the only one there is me
Every freckle on my face is where it?s suppose to be
And I know my creator didn?t make no mistakes on me
My feet, my thighs, my Lips, my eyes, I?m loving what I see

preach it sister! the song isn't just a chorus, either. all the words are an affirmation of self and positivity. it just felt good to hear her sing it.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not specifically about body image, but...Beautiful South 'Tonight I Fancy Myself'
quote:
I'd rather drink that toast to my own health
I think tonight I'd rather love myself
And if you drink that drink to your own health
I think tonight I'd rather love myself

Wicked lyrics. Love yourself!

------------------
The blind man sees more clearly than the rest of the human race, coz when the lights go up he sees the person and not the face.

[This message has been edited by badly_behaved_badger (edited 10-03-2002).]

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason "drop dead georgous" by republica works for me when i'm having a bad body image day. it's strang but there's 2 reasons:
1)the georgous guy she's talking about walking away from is a liar and an jerk so it helps me see that beauty isn't everything
2)it's bouncy and angry at the same time and it tends to get me moving, and even though i look like a total spaz when dancing (i'm not picking on myself ok, i'm actually in touch with my graceless because my klutzyness makes me memorable which i like) i enjoy the way my body works when i do, which reminds me that that's the really important part. who cares if my legs aren't skinny if they can carry me around all day anyway?

------------------
who is rin

(HTML is disabled, so i changed your sig to UBB code -- go modify your profile to get it to work )

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 10-04-2002).]

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread, and for music, I'd have to add "Your Revolution (will not happen between these thighs) by Sarah Jones or "After Your Orgasm" by David Wilcox.

The former song's a bit in your face...in fact, it was banned by the FCC for no apparent reason, but if you're looking for positive body image, here's a song that goes counter to the music industry where women's bodies are looked at in a negative way.

As for the latter song, it's not what you would think, but it's quite a beautiful and melodic piece.

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by alohamora (edited 10-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by alohamora (edited 10-04-2002).]

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
off topic for which i apologise - but thanks gumdrop girl!

------------------
who is rin?

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you're quite welcome, 'rin. always a pleasure
Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuEsTiOnGuRL
Neophyte
Member # 9766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuEsTiOnGuRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything India Arie or Jill Scott makes me proud, happy, and content to be me. To me Jill Scott's and India Arie's lyrics curl around me and make me smile even when I don't want to. And even though it's about a boy, "Brown Skin" is one of my favorite songs. "Brown skin, you know I love your brown skin I can't tell where yours begins and I can't tell where mine ends."
Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dieselfemme
Neophyte
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dieselfemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think that music is a great way to feel better about many things, and dancing is a great way to connect w/ the body and reunite it w/ the spirit ... this topic grabbed my attention immediately, and i have some songs/artists to add that i think you'll all enjoy and benefit from

candye kane anything, really, but in particular: 200 lbs of fun, all you can eat (and you can eat it all night long), and you need a great big woman

anthony gomes: ham hock booty

there are many others i can't think of at the moment, but i'll keep it in mind and post them here when they come to me ...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's a song by Kendall Payne called Supermodels:

<snip>

The boys they come here
With expectations for the summer
And I refuse to take any part of this barbaric ritual
Because God have given me a mind
That I will use from time to time
And I?ve got more on my head than what?s made
by Paul Mitchell

</snip>

as a side note, i'd be all for someone on the board making a mix tape of these songs, and sending money to get one.

(just wanted to keep things simple -- and avoid any copyright complaints, so what was it that you really liked about this song again? i mean lyrics are nice, but let's hear you talk about them )

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 10-09-2002).]

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*"big butts" sir mix alot (classic, gotta love the junk you got in the trunk!)

Thats a major one on my list anyways!

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen. Out and out praise of lovely curvy bottoms can't go wrong, now can it?
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, but even with all the music I've got I'm not finding much that's not, well, kind of dirty (and I can only assume that quoting a Lords of Acid or Jackyl song would be a Bad Idea!), though I did find one clean one on the Shock Treatment soundtrack. Still, finding music for themed CDs on the topics of Masturbation, or Abusive Relationships wasn't too hard, so I wonder a bit about what this says about what people choose to write songs about. There are enough songs out there praising other people's bodies, but a lot fewer ones about liking our own.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 10-26-2002).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not specifically body image, but "Affiramtion" by Savage Garden gets me thinking everytime..
How many of us have sat down, and honestly delibrately thought over what we believe in?

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
(and I can only assume that quoting a Lords of Acid song would be a Bad Idea!)

Only if it's "Rover Take Over."

And how about some Morrissey? A track from his 1992 effort entitled "Your Arsenal," attractively titled "You're the One For Me, Fatty."

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that when I listen to "American Girls" by Weezer, it always puts me in a glorious mood. It's not really an "body-image" song, just I think it's cute. Actually, any song by Weezer will put me in a good mood!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit partial to TLC's "Unpretty".

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the lyrics, but it's a wonderful song. The video also has a wonderful message.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darkchild:
http://www.absolutelyric.com/a/view/TLC/Unpretty/

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! Thanks!
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got Shakira's 'Laundry Service' album, and a line from "Whatever, Whenever" stuck out.

Lucky that my breasts are small and humble/
So you don't confuse them with mountains

La versión en español «Suerte» incluye líricas similares

Suerte que mis pechos sean pequeños/
y nos los confundas con montañas

Given the amount of "I wish my breasts were bigger" talk we get on these boards, it's refreshing to hear someone, especially a celeb who could easily get implants, say she is content with the size and shape of her breasts.

------------------
¿Qué es el dealio?

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 04-12-2003).]

boldly_go
Neophyte
Member # 58203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boldly_go     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that about liking big butts.

I like 'One Girl Revolution' by Saving Jane. Raise your hand if the shape of your hips don't compare to the shape of your mind...

Posts: 8 | From: some Australian town | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I really like Not A Pretty Girl by Ani DiFranco:

I am not a pretty girl
That is not what I do

as a sort of alternative to a lot of the primacy that's put on body image (as important as that is). Also I really like a section in Folding Chair by Regina Spektor.

I've got a perfect body
But sometimes I forget
I've got a perfect body
Cause my eyelashes catch my sweat

I really think that kind of functional-based positive body image is awesome. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a damien rice song, I'm sure of it, that says

"I love your depression and I love your double chin"

Which is kind of nice in a melodramatic way!

Also, I don't actually have a vagina, but if I did, I would like this to be it's themesong; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjqS9RMsVHQ&feature=related
(Vagina - by the tiger lillies, featuring the repeated lyric "my vagina in the sky")

God this has got me scouring the web for inspiring songs about penises

I guess I found one, Monty Python's Penis song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRPFUYUUdQ

I don't know laughter is pretty positive for my body image.

[ 08-16-2011, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Monty Python's Penis Song! If I had a penis, that would be it's the... you get the idea. It's a shame it doesn't say "spouse's/partner's/lover's" instead of "wife's" best friend, but it was still a totally awesome song.

I think there should be an alternate version of "I Like Big Butts" called "I Like Big Guts", to celebrate rotund bellies.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ella" by Bebe

Original spanish lyrics:
Hoy ella sá puesto color en las pestañas,
hoy le gusta su sonrisa, no se siente una extraña,
hoy sueña lo que quiere, sin preocuparse por nada,
hoy es una mujer que se da cuenta de su alma.

English translation:
Today she has put on eyeshadow
Today she likes her smile, and doesn't feel like a stranger
Today she dreams what she wants to, without any worries
Today she is a woman who understands her soul

The songs all about being a woman, so sorry guys out there if it doesn't really work for you. :/

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talkderbytome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really Really Happy by The Muffs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-95YiV82YA

"Im telling you, that Im completely over it, and I dont care what you do..
Im really really glad Im really really really happy and I'm feeling guh-ood!"

Posts: 8 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janie Jones
Neophyte
Member # 46161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janie Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)by Mika
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW1BRiuwPI

A friend made me a mix CD with this song on it several years ago.

--------------------
I don't want you to settle, I want you to grow.

Posts: 21 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JellyTots
Neophyte
Member # 93681

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JellyTots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by QuEsTiOnGuRL:
Anything India Arie or Jill Scott makes me proud, happy, and content to be me. To me Jill Scott's and India Arie's lyrics curl around me and make me smile even when I don't want to. And even though it's about a boy, "Brown Skin" is one of my favorite songs.  - "Brown skin, you know I love your brown skin I can't tell where yours begins and I can't tell where mine ends."

Totally agree! Gumdrop Girl, I absolutely love the song 'Video'. My all time feel good song [Smile]
Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.