Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Yum.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yum.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(It kind of felt like it went hand-in-hand with yay. Maybe even like yum and yay would be lonely without each other.)

Food is good for us, in body and soul and sense.

Are you eating anything super-delicious right now? have you lately? What was it?

Last night, my partner took up what is usually my risotto-mantle and made a GORGEOUS three-mushroom risotto. I am very much looking forward to lunchtime leftovers today.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day my friend made a super-awesome vegan picnic for us with peanut butter cookies. OM NOM NOM.
Posts: 158 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brennan
Activist
Member # 72864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brennan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently treated some family and friends to a three-course meal.

First up, a chop salad with fresh lettuce I bought from a farmer's market with delicious bits of my own homemade Gouda cheese sprinkled in along with delicious salami, all in a wondrous vinaigrette. Add a bit of a paprika-roasted chicken breast on the top of everyone's dish and... Uh, yeah. I may be going through college to be a teacher and all, but I would make a damn good chef.

Next up, a slow-cooked beef short rib marinated in Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and onion. The meat was so tender after hours in a slow-cooker, that the slightest nudge from a jaw would have the meat sloughing off of the bone. With cauliflower-substitute mashed potatoes on the side, this was the most hearty and fattening course.

The third 'course', if you want to call it that, was comprised of homemade cupcakes! (Exclamation mark for added adorable cupcakeness.) I made the batter myself to be extra sweet, and I used different flavors of liquor to make the frosting on the top. I made limeade, raspberry, lemonade, english toffee, and Kahlua cupcakes.

It. Was. Awesome.

I make a note of being an excellent chef and cleaning assistant for my future wife. Nothing sets my romantic side aflutter more than the idea of cooking a light meal for a woman, serving it to her in a candle-lit room, then taking her upstairs so that I might pleasure her.

I pride myself on not being absolutely one-sided in my pleasure seeking. Where's the fun in sex if you're the only one really enjoying it, right?

Posts: 48 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In yum news, I have decided to become vegetarian starting today [Smile] not terribly strictly as I'm doing it to save money. I haven't figured out what my rules are going to be yet. But, the nice person serving in this coffee house replaced my (already cooked) panini after a ham and cheese and been stacked with the mozarella, tomato and pestoes and I picked it up. He said "oh, I'm really sorry - you're not vegetarian, are you?" and I mumbled "it's my first day."

Trying to find ideas for altering the things I already know how to cook - first up, spaghetti bolognese with chopped up mushrooms and peppers!

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying out a lot of new recipes lately. It's freeing, really. I guess I'd gotten into a rut lately where new stuff was just *whine* too hard and too many ingredients *end whine* so we were eating the old standbys all the time. (Not that our standbys are not good...they just get boring.) In the past month, I've made at least 1-2 brand new meals every week just to remind myself that it doesn't have to be as hard as I was thinking it was.

I've been particularly pleased with this cuban green bean recipe. For our veggie friends, the bacon obviously doesn't work. But oh my gosh those things are TASTY! I know it sounds weird to put lime juice on fresh green beans, but somehow it just works.

Oh, I've also recently discovered a little local vegan cupcake bakery that makes my heart oh so happy. I think I fell in love when the owner herself stepped out of the back room, covered in flour, and took my order. Supporting local artisans makes me feel good. (And, of course, the cupcakes are incredible as well, lol.)

[ 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strawberry and Champagne cake, with one of the most delicious buttercreams I've ever tasted slathered all over it.

Rocky Road cheesecake (without fruit, I like fruit but I do not like it in Rocky Road).

Waitrose Italian ready meals, not that I'm working for them or anything, but they do taste really nice and fresh (though they don't include some of the nicest ones in their promotional offer), as one would expect, there's a lot of pasta, tomatoes, and cheese involved (I just might treat myself to the more expensive chicken and mushroom risotto because it's so incredibly delicious, and if you're wondering why I don't cook these myself, it's because cooking really isn't my thing, I don't enjoy it particularly and it takes up time I'd rather use for other things). Also, they have some nice vegetarian options, which is good because I'm trying to eat less meat for various reasons.

Sweet and Sour Chicken with Egg Fried Rice (I could probably live on it for a few weeks without getting bored. It's that good).

Tinned (or plastic-potted) peaches.

They've had sushi at the local supermarket again so I've had some and it was comfortingly delicious.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just made some awesome steamed broccoli with peanut soy sauce and ginger over brown rice. Midnight snack redemption for the 4-dozen oatmeal-raisin cookies I also made today [Big Grin]

(patrickvienna, if you'd like me to send you some of my veggie (and wallet) friendly recipes, just let me know [Smile] I'm also a vegetarian and love to cook, so I've got lots of good ones).

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polyprotic, I would LOVE that, thank you so much for offering! Do you have links you can post here?

Your broccoli-and-peanut-sauce-brown-rice-also-ginger concoction sounds awesome. [Smile]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're just kind of things I've come up with or recipes I've adapted over the years, so I unfortunately don't have links. I could post them here unless that'd be too spammy, or I could e-mail 'em to you [Smile]

All you've got to do for the broccoli is steam it in the microwave, melt some crunchy peanut butter over it once it's done, then splash on some soy sauce and ground ginger. It's good over rice for a meal, or by itself for a side.

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

We generally err on the side of not posting our contact info here, but I don't think recipes would be too spammy in a thread titled yum. [Smile]

--------------------

polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Makes perfect sense [Smile] Here are my five favorites to make (and eat).

Vegetable quiche:

6 eggs
2c shredded Swiss cheese
1/2c milk
3/4c biscuit mix
1/2c chopped onion
1 can croissant dough (nice shortcut to making the crust from scratch)
Your vegetables of choice. I like to use 10oz cooked spinach and 3/4c raw sliced mushrooms. Spinach and artichoke is good too.

1. Pat croissant dough to bottom of 10-inch pie pan

2. Beat eggs and milk. Add biscuit mix and beat. Stir in onion, cheese, and veggies. Pour into pan over dough.

3. Bake at 375 for approx. 30min, or until eggs are set.

Vegetable-alfredo lasagna

2 cloves garlic (1tsp minced)
1/2c onion
2tbsp olive oil
2 jars alfredo sauce
1-1/2c mixed frozen vegetables
1c fresh broccoli
5oz fresh spinach
1c sliced mushrooms
3c shredded mozzarella
2pkgs no-boil lasagna noodles

1. Toast chopped garlic in olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat for 30sec. Add onion and sautee 2min. Add alfredo sauce and heat until hot, stirring often. Add vegetables and heat until hot again.

2. In a large cake pan or casserole dish, layer sauce, noodles, cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese, etc. It's easier to eat if you alternate the orientation of the noodles between each layer, ie horizontal for the first layer, then vertical the next, etc.

3. Bake at 375 until golden brown and bubbling in the center, approx 30 min.

Eggplant parm (takes forever your first time, but totally worth it)

1 large eggplant
lots of coarse grained salt (like rock, kosher, or sea salt)
2 eggs
1/2c flour
1c breadcrumbs
oregano
basil
4c marinara sauce
lots of vegetable oil
2c shredded mozzarella cheese
1c shredded parmesan cheese
1/2lb thick spaghetti

1. Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2in slices. Place on wax paper and cover thoroughly with coarse grained salt. Let sit 1 hour. This allows the bitter eggplant juices to weep out via osmosis. Rinse each piece very thoroughly and dry with a paper towel.

2. Beat eggs and place in a bowl with a diameter larger than the eggplant. Mix 1/2tsp oregano into breadcrumbs and place in similar bowl. Pour flour onto large pc wax paper. Dredge both sides of each slice in flour, then egg, then firmly press into breadcrumbs.

3. In large frying pan, heat oil to a depth of approx 1/2in over medium heat. You can test the oil's temp by dropping in a small piece of the batter. It's ready when it sizzles, but doesn't burn. Place as many slices in the pan as will fit and fry until golden brown on each side, turning once. Place on several paper towels to blot excess oil. Repeat for remaining slices.

4. Meanwhile, heat marinara sauce to simmer.

5. Layer in large cake pan or casserole dish in the order: sauce, fried eggplant, mozzarella, parmesan, sauce, etc. Bake at 350 for 25min, or until bubbling.

Potato-vegetable soup

6c chopped potatoes
3stalks chopped celery
1c chopped carrots
1/2c chopped onion
1c broccoli
2c milk
2tbsp butter
5tbsp flour
1-1/2c shredded cheddar
salt and pepper, optional

1. Place all veggies in large pot and barely cover with water. Heat over medium heat until all veggies are tender.

2. In separate saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Very gradually stir in milk. Once hot, stir in cheese.

3. Pour cheese sauce into veggie soup and salt to taste.

Creamy mashed potatoes

2.5lbs chopped gold potatoes (I like it with skin)
4oz cream cheese
4tbsp butter
1c milk
salt

1. Boil chopped potatoes until tender. Drain and mash.

2. Add milk and mash again. Stir in cream cheese and 2tbsp butter. Add more milk if too thick.

3. Place in cake pan and dot surface with butter. Cover in foil and bake at 375 for 15min. Remove foil and bake additional 15min.

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made this cheesecake a couple months ago... I'm still dreaming of it... fresh vanilla seeds are heaven:

http://www.gastroanthropology.com/gastroanthropology/2009/06/nobake-white-chocolate-cheesecake.html

Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a simple one for me; I finally found a wholemeal bread I like. I wanted to switch over from white bread for both health and environmental reasons, but until recently I hated brown bread. Tried it on a whim this week, and I don't know if it's the particular brand or what but this one's really good.
Posts: 461 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right now its onion ring crisps all the way. so bad for me but i just can't stop eating them
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janie Jones
Neophyte
Member # 46161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janie Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night my roommate and I made roasted spaghetti squash and tomato sauce with ground beef, onion, garlic, red and orange peppers, mushrooms and fresh basil. After you roast the squash you scrape it out of the rind and put the sauce over it like regular pasta. It was delicious. I really love squash, including pumpkin. It is a very versatile cooking ingredient.

Last Sunday I made a kale au gratin, with kale from my garden. It consists of potatoes, really good sharp cheddar cheese, onions, and of course kale. I added garlic this time, but I've made it without it before. If anyone wants the step by step recipe, let me know. [Smile]

--------------------
I don't want you to settle, I want you to grow.

Posts: 21 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother made me pasta and cheese sauce because she loves me and she's a good mother. And it was good.
Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We splurge once each payday on a package of refrigerated tortellini noodles-they're stuffed with cheese and absolutely amazing, and then we have them with alfredo sauce. And it is wonderful. I am a cheese person.
Posts: 178 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
selina
Activist
Member # 33376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for selina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sushi! my love for suhsi is growing
Posts: 94 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are grape vines growing on the deck of the place we rent. last year, they stayed green and never got edible.

I just went outside, and a bunch of them have turned purple and they are SO TASTY!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just roasted up a bunch of pumpkin seeds with herbs and spices! Soo Taasty! I made 2 different herb spice flavors and some plain ones. Mmmmm....

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.