Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Tom Gabel comes out as transfemale to Rolling Stone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Gabel comes out as transfemale to Rolling Stone
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody! I wasn't sure where to put this, but the YAY! section seemed appropriate 'cause this is really cool, I think. Tom Gabel, from the band Against Me! just came out to Rolling Stone as transfemale. The article isn't super long, but it mentions a little of her struggle and her future plans. I just thought it was really cool because, first, good for her, that's awesome, and also because it's pretty awesome to have a prominent trans musician on the scene. I listen to a little Against Me! and I like their music, so I'm interested to see how/if it will change after this, especially if her voice changes over the course of her transition.

Here's the article. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508

I also apologize if any of my language/vocab use was wrong or off. I'm cis, so I try really hard to make sure I always use the right, polite language and not unwittingly use a term that's considered offensive. If I've done anything, just let me know and I'll fix it! [Smile]

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!! [Smile]

That's really awesome!!

Go you, Laura Jane Grace!

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! That is awesome! I'm a little surprised that most of the comments I've seen around the internet have been positive, which is amazing and maybe a sign of progress. [Smile]

(JB: no worries, and you did a good job, but "transfemale" isn't a term I've ever heard. You'd be better off with "trans" (adj.) or "a trans woman," or plainly "a woman." It certainly didn't come off as offensive, anywho.)

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cati
Neophyte
Member # 49875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGAINST ME IS AWESOME and this is just plain awesome. For Laura to come out as a transgender and finally be accepted for how she feels; a woman.

I just can't stop reading her story, and I was quite surprised that the sexy and manly voice of Against Me! I fell in love with was dealing with all of this for so long, even though his lyrics CLEARLY said so xD

[ 05-13-2012, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Cati ]

Posts: 27 | From: Chile | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never really listened to Against Me before this happened, so I'm happy that I both learned about a wonderful transgender person who is getting a largely positive community response AND got to hear some great new music.
Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.