Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » (Tiny) Talent Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (Tiny) Talent Show
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some things we are talented at which just are not going to get us an award, a scholarship, a job or anything other than the occasional person giggling or asking us to do something when everyone is feeling bored.

I'm talking about the kinds of things that are cool, maybe a bit unusual, but which, in the grand scheme of things, may not amount to or seem like much. Yet, at the same time, in the grand scheme of who YOU are, are pretty funky and cool and neat.

For example, I:
• have a very stretchy, flexible face, which can make my funny faces the stuff of LEGEND.
• can filk almost any song very quickly and always ridiculously. I remain ever proud of "Carpool Lane," my version of Prince's "Purple Rain," invented while trying to get into said lane with a friend once.
• can spell antidisestablishmentarianism out loud very fast (a talent finely honed after discovering as a child it was the longest word in English)
• can, in partnership with my pug (whose talent this may mostly be), get her to produce this sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFtHNXxd6o
• know how to do the Hustle expertly, thanks to my Mom and the other disco-dancing nurses she was friends with in the 70s.
• speak Pig Latin fluently

[ 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruddy_duck
Neophyte
Member # 48014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruddy_duck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can name ten species of penguins from memory!

...booyah! [Razz]

--------------------
"To free yourself is to exist."
-Augusto Boal

Posts: 13 | From: The Midwest | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can pick up things from the floor with my feet to put them in the garbage without getting my hands dirty, I've even managed to put something in a pedal bin around half my height using just my feet.

I can put my fingers (not including my thumb) on each hand into two groups of two with a gap in the middle.

I'm good at whistling, I can whistle a tune while breathing in as well as out.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I has mad lip synching skills. I can lip synch most all of the music I own. [Smile]

Also, I cook, bake, and give massages super well!

(Jill, do you mean like the Vulcan thing?) [Smile]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think so, I can do it like this \\// and I can almost do it like this \||/ but there's a tiny gap near the top on my left hand.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftFJkiUU2Q
Although that's more an ability of my hypermobility than an ability I have.
I can recite several poems by memory!
For the Young Who Want To, by Marge Piercy
The Charge of the Light Brigade, by Alfred Lord Tennyson
Requests for Toy Piano, by Tony Hoagland (that last name might be wrong)
O Captain! My Captain!, by Walt Whitman
One Perfect Rose (by some lady, I can't remember her name but the poem is great!)
Through a Glass Eye, Lightly, by Carolyn Kizer (this name might be wrong, but it's what comes to mind when I remember the title of that poem)
And various others that aren't coming to mind right now. I memorized the Walt Whitman poem in 8th grade for 10 extra credit points, but all the rest I found in a book for a poetry recitation competition called "Poetry Out Loud". A few of them I actually memorized with an eye towards reading them during the competition. The others...well, they were long, or interesting or something. I wanted to memorize them just to say I memorized them *coughcough Charge of the Light Brigade!!! coughcough*

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ananab
Neophyte
Member # 76493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ananab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can swim 50 yards without breathing.
I can chew a piece of gum in class without getting caught.
I'm really good at Mario Party 5.

The yabble-yabble video actually made giggle out loud, it was so adorable!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.