Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Eee, I love helping!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eee, I love helping!
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my college's LGBT welcome dinner (which had all sorts of booths set up and at which I was able to relax a few automatic barriers and allow people to assume, correctly, that I am not straight, rather than carefully trying to discourage that...basically, I finally felt really safe being gay, and it was awesome).
I also talked to someone from a rape crisis hotline who was talking about their program and asking that I spread the word about it, and direct people there if they need it, and I said that the place I've had stored in my memory bank for that sort of situation, to mention to people who might need support or whatever, was Scarleteen dot com.
They asked what that was, I said that it's basically sex-positive, feminist sex ed, and pretty much awesome, and they asked me for the name again, wrote it down, and thanked me for the info. Yay! I love being able to help people!!

I also got to pet a twelve year old dog that one of the Gender and Women's Studies ladies brought. So that was pretty great too. Doggy!

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, helping's great! It feels good too, even if you don't get a big thank you EVERY single time you help out. [Smile] In fact, it's better if you don't expect it because it feels nicer just knowing that you're helping, and when someone thanks you (which will still be reasonably often) it feels even better! [Smile]

[ 08-25-2012, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great and very encouraging that you are such a positive influence! Good for you, and for being so helpful and supportive of others! Keep up the good work!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.