Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Someone you love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Someone you love
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this board is a lot about self-happiness, but something else made me think of this. The other day, I had a massive row with a good friend, because I felt under-appreciated and like I was more of an obligation to him than a friend, and he said he never meant to make me feel like that because he loves me. (And we made up.)

Now, I kind of feel like that's a lot of over-emphasis on kinds of love like romantic love, and a lot of other kinds of love get ignored.

So, my suggestion for this thread - who is someone you love, and why? And I don't mean your boyfriend/girlfriend (though feel free to mention them), I mean your family, your friends, a teacher, or things like life/nature/hobbies.

And this can be a yay-moment because its kind of nice to consciously feel love for someone/something, and be aware of it. Fuzzies, and all [Smile]

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a great group of friends from college I call my family and I love all of them. But one other one that always sticks out to me is my parakeet Whitacre. He's an odd kind of birdie that likes to snuggle by your cheek and get kisses blown to him. And when I've had a bad day, feel like screaming, want to cry, or even do cry he's the first one I reach for.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and I are really supportive of each other (though I haven't phoned her in a while so I'll do that today), we used to fight a lot when we were younger, but we get along really well now, she is so important to me, I love her lots and I hope we both live to see each other find the happiness that we're searching for.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was ten when a woman my mom knew from years back moved to live with us, bringing her three children along-at the time, they were 12, 11, and 9, with the two older children being girls and the younger a boy. We call each other cousins sometimes, and they call my mom Aunt, but honestly, when I tell people about them I say that these people are like my siblings, I consider myself a surrogate aunt to the children that have already been born (the younger girl and her husband, and the boy and his girlfriend, each have a daughter). That boy taught me to ride a bike, the older girl taught me how to ride a razor scooter. That older girl has been the big sister I always needed for years-the one who goofed off, sprayed perfume at my brother when he tried to come into my room without permission, gave unconditional positiveness (as in, didn't shame me for reading it, something I become more grateful for every time I realize that not everyone who read that sort of novel had a friend who came in, saw it, and turned it into just another book) (and didn't tell my mom) when she caught me reading an...adult novel (a work of purely literary fiction, and a good story in and of itself). I attribute my continuing sanity to that girl, I will never be able to explain all that she has done for me.

[ 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Kawani3792 ]

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My step-dad, Alf. He wasn't in my life before I was grown and a legal adult, so it doesn't seem like the most obvious relationship to attach any "parent" label to; he also doesn't "parent" me in the ways that seem most obvious, for example, he doesn't offer me advice or comments on my life - but then, I wouldn't accept that too well! But he is the person who I know I could go to if I needed help, in any situation, no matter what, and who would figure something out for me without hesitation if there was dire need. He loves, respects, and is proud of me, is supportive and encouraging; he is the safe and stable figure that I felt was lacking in my original parental figures. He is a warm, sensitive, caring, principled, honest person, and treats me and his biological family with all of those qualities. He told me and other people that if he'd had a daughter, he would have wanted me, and that he feels about me as if I was his daughter - and he acts like it, too. For all these reasons, he is very much my step-dad, and one of the best family members I've ever had and could ever wish for.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe and Kate, two people I have never met until 2 nights ago. I had had a stupid (and now resolved) fight with my mother and I was absolutely distraught. I was at the waterfront and said hello to hello to Joe, when he asked me how I was, I burst into tears and told him that I'd had a fight with my mother. I started to walk away but he asked me if I wanted to talk about it.

He and Kate talked to me for a few hours and restored my faith in the human race. I don't know if I'll ever talk to them again, but I love these perfect no-longer-strangers.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my brother. He is one of my closest friends. Sometimes, we're not always there to support one another; and it hurts when I can't go to all his events, but I'm always there in spirit and I love him so much. If there was anyone in the world that I could spend all my time with and give up my life for that person, it would be my brother.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend from uni, who took it very well when I turned him down for dating a couple of years ago, remained my friend, and now has a wonderful girlfriend (I don't know her as well as I do him, but she's very nice and there's no problem between us). I was in dire need of a friend at the time, and he helped me come out of my shell.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.