Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » Congrats, Obama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Congrats, Obama
Roxie102
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well personally, I think we need a huge YAY for Obama's reelection. I couldn't be happier!
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seconded!

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, indeed!

And also:
• YAY! to all the new women in the senate
• YAY! to an en masse rejection of politicians who blame victims or make light of rape
• YAY! to our first woman with a physical disability being in the senate
• YAY! to the FOUR different winning same-sex marriage initiatives that got voted in on four state ballots
• and YAY! to the two states who votes to decriminialize marijuana (and from a young adult rights perspective, this is actually deeply important: pot possession charges are actually one of the most common ways young people wind up with criminal charges filed against them for no good reason)

There's more than that, amazing as it is, but those are, I'd say, the highlights.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, Heather.

And, YAY that one of those women is widely reported as the first openly gay person to be elected to the Senate.

And oh, it's dreamy how None of those bizzaro-rape men got elected [Smile] And, certain kinds of politicians may eventually have to stop saying that same-sex partnerships are unAmerican if people keep majority-voting in favour of them [Smile]

It might seem slightly odd to some US folk how some of us in the rest of the world have an interest in US elections, but really, there was such a huge difference between the candidates and the US has such a major world position, it impacts many non-US folk too. I don't know how reliable they were, but I saw a set of polls showing that of about 20 countries from around the world, every one but Pakistan would have a ginormous Obama vote. So, from the rest of the world, thanks!

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay indeed, and dreamy FOR SURE.

I sometimes -- I know, I'm a traitor, whatever -- refer to my own country as an infectious disease. Seriously, the neo-conservatism that's been going around here since Reagan HAS had an impact on other nations. It's had an impact per how we have treated those nations, but for sure, we also set an example that, unfortunately, with politics like that, other nations either sometimes follow, or find support in when they're going that way.

But seriously, while I didn't get absolutely EVERYTHING I wanted this time around, I feel totally confident saying that in 40+ years of being a citizen here, with political awareness since I was wee, this is hands-down the most amazing set of election results I've ever experienced. I kind of keep waiting to wake up. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great to have that perspective! Because, looking in from elsewhere, a lot of people think "people with those policies are Seriously Actual Contenders for office???! Help us all!!", and it seems to be getting slightly more alarming each time. So that kind of happy perspective, and the very real "yay!" list, is excellent!

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1443 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

For sure.

And the post-election political analysis here, pretty overwhelmingly, and not just from the left, has been going on ever since about how it seems pretty clear that the right got so far right, if they don't dial it considerably down, they're just dead in the water. Maybe not locally or even in some states, but nationally.

(And holy crapcakes, have I been waiting a long time to hear moderates or right-leaning people saying something like that.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't usually like to discuss politics publicly (and often can't due to my ultra-conservative city), but I have been absolutely thrilled ever since Tuesday night. I feel like this is such a victory on so many levels.

First of all, it reaffirmed that although I am largely alone in my views here, my views are no longer a minority!

I was a little worried, I have to admit. Some people on the opposite end of the spectrum were coming up with some radically anti-feminist and anti-equality views. But in my opinion, when you choose to alienate SO many groups (women, minorities, the LGBT community, ect), you can't be surprised when people don't want you representing them.

But I'm so, so happy! With so much progress in one day, just imagine what we can achieve in the next 5, 10, and 20 years!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Well, also HEY, Atonement: you likely already know that Hispanic/Chicano/Chicana people had a LOT to do with all of these great results. I say take the credit where it's due!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

In case anyone's interested, I stumbled across where I'd read the rest-of-the-world's voting opinions. I found it striking.
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/11/04/who-would-the-world-elect/ (Posts on the site are fine. Hideous comments are deleted, but comments sometimes still contain some bigotry or complete wrongness.) So I'd say there's a Lot of happy people about this!

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad Obama won, as well! [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another massive YAY for this for me is that this was one of the best shots the uber-anti-rights conservatives COULD have had... Romney is the kind of person they celebrate, the economy is crap, they said all terrible crap they could to catch people's attentions, they pulled out all the stops, spent hundreds of millions, and they still failed miserably.

Already people in the UK are writing about how Romney's failure in the US is a warning to the super-right-wing factions of our conservative party that extremism does NOT equal a popular vote. It means politicians everywhere HAVE to distance themselves from that crap... the people have spoken. This means very good things for our politics... especially due to the big losses some groups must have incurred that usually feed money to the crappy sides of politics here.

Again.... YAYY!!

[ 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 594 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.