Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » It's Love Your Body Day: Come Haiku! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: It's Love Your Body Day: Come Haiku!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, do it!

Do NOT post here today about dieting or losing weight or shaving or how you hate your big butt or your small breasts or your funny penis or your floppy labia.

http://loveyourbody.nowfoundation.org/

Here's what I propose.

Write a haiku* or two to a body part you need to make peace with, or have made peace with, but once didn't feel so hot about.

I'll start.

if smile lines are bad,
a frown would be more lovely
to see than a smile.

and...

these thick, sturdy legs,
gifted by my ancestors;
a strength to stand on.

* in case you're rusty on haiku, it's a short asian form of poetry. Traditionally, it's three lines: first line is five syllables/phoentic units, second is seven, last is five.

[ 01-20-2011, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a warrior's bulk
to carry life on my back
i will not wear thin

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my eyes can see you
all you see is the slant of
exotic eyelids

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's a big weight off
my chest: you love me despite
no, because of it

sensitivity
handled gently, becomes a
sweet variation

(ack! I cannot get
my lines to remain themselves;
I hope you see them right.)

[ 10-18-2006, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: not_a_hobgoblin ]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Fabulous!

I have another.

I am a short story.
as full as a novel is,
just concentrated.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard-working feet ache,
toiling for the future,
a path to freedom.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathryn888
Neophyte
Member # 30556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chest is hidden
Wonder how nice it is there
underneath my shirt?

Posts: 23 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have another one. I was always teased about the "masculinity" of this body part:

The strength of my face,
angular jaw and forehead;
beautiful and fierce.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Isn't that weird, that "masculine" bit as an insult?

I remember once, years back, coming upon a discussion forum with a group of men talking about my self-portratiture work, jibing about how I had a "man-face." I sat there reading, trying to figure out how simple they might have though I was to have found that in any way insulting, or anything but just...I don't know, descriptive, at best. But as a strong woman, as a woman glad to be strong, and one well aware of how silly gender assignments are, it was just so amazing to me, in the way they went on, at how clearly they obviously thought that to be incredibly purposefullly insulting. And how utterly silly an insult that is, especially in a culture where what ios masculine is what is given the most value, anyway.)

Nice haiku! No need to keep these for one day a year. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

(I'm amazed that those were grown men! At least the ones that tried to offend me were Jr. high/high school kids, which is far more excuseable.

I've posed for a few artists from Northern Europe and Russia, where not only is it common for native women to have "masculine" facial features, it's seen as a mark of beauty and good fortune. Amazing how the land of the free can't be up to speed, eh?)

foraday
Neophyte
Member # 31798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The English attempt at haikus is an example of an abomination and arrogance in language.

dry mouth crooked teeth
smiling never stops despite
himself, filling doubt

It's not entirely happy, but it gets there eventually in part 2, which I forgot.

Posts: 4 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, fine breasts of mine
back pain but you fill out my
shirt nicely, as well

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in late elementary school/early middle school, there was one boy who frequently teased me about my nose, which is a little on the large side. It, among other things, did leave me with some self confidence issues. I've since more or less dealt with them, and I do love and cherish my body, but I still feel angry and hurt when I think of that boy. I'm not much of a poet, but here's my haiku anyways:

This nose you call huge
Is heritage--my family--
Evident in me.

I wrote a couple others, as well:

Small hands, callouses,
Short nails called "unfeminine"
Tools for life and love

Freckle on forehead,
There since birth, is beautiful.
One more touch of me.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Menthol
Activist
Member # 30995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menthol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am all curves.
And I fill my jeans nicely.
Watch me strut my stuff.

--------------------
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
~Ayn Rand

Posts: 85 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always changing
Rearranging shrinking growing
I'm never satisfied

but

Surface is one thing,
I can't be content because,
shapes can't define me.

so

I define myself,
with other things known to me,
So, in that I'm free.

[ 12-31-2006, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizenny
Activist
Member # 22661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking down my shirt
There is nothing to see here
Nothing in the way

...and another

They call me bean sprout.
They ask "Where's the rest of you?"
I'm sitting on it.

...aaand here's another

Light enough some say
To evade some judging eyes.
Just not theirs, I guess.

--------------------
I AM WOMAN...THE REMIX!!!

You catch more flies with manure than you do with honey.

Posts: 110 | From: Worcester MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark as chocolate,
Warm and kind. With the eyes of
grandmother I see.

Gargantuan lips.
I hid them once, from all sight.
Land a plane on them...

Stomach is not flat.
Once obese inside my mind,
I'm not a fat man.

Cap'n said: "May not be
all that smart, but you ain't weak,
an' that ain't nothing."

Behind my eyes, worlds.
Billions live and laugh and love;
words flow from fingers.

Firefly in the sky
We've done the impossible
Brown coat on my back.

[ 01-26-2007, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: James the Dark ]

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Dayum, James. You rocked that.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haiku is easy.
I failed poetry in school;
I must have talent!

Rationalize in
haiku. This thing is getting
swiftly out of hand.

[ 01-26-2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: James the Dark ]

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

With each sneer and threat
My core just becomes harder;
So come, bring it on.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Love this thread! Keep 'em coming, people!)

this mark on my chest,
I hid it once - no longer;
it is not a flaw.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

My father is quite
hairy, and so am I, but
not nearly as bad [Big Grin]

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

The light on my legs,
golden hairs on peachy skin;
tell me that's ugly.

Heather
Member # 3

I wake up, I stretch:
every joint cracks, pops, crackles.
I'm pushing 40.

(Yep, that was my morning laugh at myself today. Just call my body Ms. Bojangles.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, your haiku cracks me up. [Big Grin]

photograph appears
a transformation complete.
my smile looks real now

and my glass green eyes
beneath stylish, dark brown hair.
My own sun burns bright.

Had a great body image moment today, having my picture taken for the paper. It looked good for once - may be the second ever picture of me I'm pleased with.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

So young, yet every
joint in my body sounds quite
like a cement truck.

--------------------

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swollen mouth bleeds red
Lack of wisdom teeth gaping
But I survived it!

[ 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Healthier eating:
Once a chore, has now become
A habit for life

With exercise plan,
Although I've just started, makes
me feel fantastic!

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunlight hits my hair
Brown, red and gold; highlights shine.
Makes me come alive.

Stormy blue-green eyes,
Gateways to my soul... windows
to see me for me.

Edit: Ooh, I just thought of another one! lol

Freckles on my face,
I look mischievous perhaps?
I'd like to think so. [Big Grin]

[ 02-08-2007, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anger in my eyes
Casting burning shadows there
Is this really me?

New lines etching fast
I am too young for these things
Scribbles on my youth

"Oh well!" I laugh out
Let life sear its cruel marks
They define me well.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
skin hangs loose, with marks
from my belly, he emerged
tiny baby feet

when I sing to him
I know what it must be like
to be a rockstar

I can feel him breathe
with each "extra" ounce of me
as we fall asleep

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

My hair is black as night.
I can't do anything with
it, but why would I?

I have 'no legs'. All
my height is in my torso,
and yet I'm six-one.

--------------------

soccerjen2927
Neophyte
Member # 23591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccerjen2927     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With friends I am free
I laugh, smile to be carefree
This is the real me!

[ 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: soccerjen2927 ]

Posts: 13 | From: United States, Tennessee | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccerjen2927
Neophyte
Member # 23591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccerjen2927     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
couldn't resist...thought of another one

I wish I could be
myself, happy, carefree so
he sees the real me

[ 06-21-2007, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: soccerjen2927 ]

Posts: 13 | From: United States, Tennessee | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnansiGirl
Neophyte
Member # 34159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnansiGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a large
A very large person
My smallness suits me

I am not strong
A muscle-bound person
My keyboard's strength

My eyes are sharper
Far too sharp in daylight
At night - cat's are same

So I have my flaws
Broken glass is more pretty
Than a mirror's sheen

My hands, my eyes, legs
Do their jobs, if not very well
Still, I love my flaws.

[ 01-28-2008, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: AnansiGirl ]

--------------------
"I'm bouncing off the walls again, woah-oh~
I'm acting like a fool again, woah-oh~
Threw away my reputation,
For one more song on the RADIO STATION~"

Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.