Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » YAY! » So it's finally happened...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So it's finally happened...
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love with Kathleen Hanna.

I always loved Bikini Kill, just discovered Le Tigre and now they're my second favourite band of all time. But, then I found out about this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73DxL-1t08

There are no words anymore. <3

Anyone else a fan of Le Tigre, Bikini Kill or just Kathleen herself?

[ 09-30-2011, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talkderbytome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! Le tigre has been my one of my FAVORITE bands for years! AND Bikini Kill is equally awesome. I really dig this post.
Posts: 8 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talkderbytome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also you should check out, if you haven't already..:

-The Breeders

-Cocorosie

-Cat Power

I don't know, maybe this are totally silly recomendations for you... but if you like them, right on!

BYTHEWAY, I love the video..

It kinda made me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QI4v9Jehs (Just a note, that is awesome, but may trigger people around sexual violence. So, heads-up for anyone that applies to! - HC)

[ 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

Posts: 8 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

AND!:

-The Muffs...

Im done!

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks so much for the recomendations!

I absolutely *love* the Breeders, just got into them - really like 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' and 'We're Gonna Rise'. <3

I haven't heard of the others! Please don't feel silly, you have wicked music taste! I'm going to Wikipedia them now.

Do you like Julie Ruin at all?

I loved the video by the way, excellent find. [Smile]

[ 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

Ah, thanks! so do YOU!

I don't, I'll check her out though!

[Smile]

Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

You've heard of Peaches, yeah?
Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

Ah, Julie Ruin is so rad! Thanks for the share.

You should also check out AprilMarch (chick habit)

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

I've only heard 'My Girls' by Peaches and Christina Aguillera - lead to it by Le Tigre of course!

I was planning on checking our more of hir stuff though, and I'll be sure to look uo April March! Thanks again - my ipod is gonna be so thrilled. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Talkderbytome
Neophyte
Member # 56885

[Smile] Ofcourse! You got a good taste in music!
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Talkderbytome: I've been literally floating since I've been listening to Cocorosie and Cat Power. Rainbowwarriors is just magical - listening to it at work. [Smile]

Chick Habit is bouncy and fun and the Muffs absolutely rock! Kinda like The Slits and 7 Year Bitch. [Smile]

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though "Happiness is a Warm Gun" was a cover of a song by John Lennon about how masturbation is teh EEEVIIILZ. (Which is why I can't stand John Lennon, I'm still sad that he died and was murdered, but he said various things about how masturbation is wrong and indicative of psychological problems).

Anyway, I love the one Le Tigre album I've heard, I listened to it while I was moving rooms, specifically while I was polishing away the dust and dirt that had accumulated on my bookcase.

Have you heard of:

Asobi Seksu

The Bastard Fairies

Bat for Lashes

Cansei de ser Sexy

Cibo Matto

Curve

Dahlia Seed

The Dead Betties

Deerhoof

Devics

Diablo Swing Orchestra

Dirty Projectors

Dum Dum Girls

Edith Frost

Elastica (their second album is pretty mediocre but their first album is absolutely excellent)

Eleven

Erykah Badu

Esben and the Witch

PJ Harvey

Shonen Knife

Sleater Kinney

If you are interested, I can post more recommendations for letters F and beyond.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Wow, Jill! Gosh, didn't know that about Happiness is Warm Gun'! Hmmm. I like Yoko Ono - because Le Tigre covered 'Siters O Siters' by her, really liking that. Don't know much about John Lennon (though from what you've said, I don't think I want to)...if it's true, maybe the Breeders did it ironically? *hopes* I'm going to have a search around about this.

I'm addicted to Sleater Kinney! Love PJ Harvey. and I've *heard* of Bat for Lashes but haven't heard any of their stuff. I'm gonna YouTube all your references - thank you! [Big Grin]

[ 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

*Trigger Warning for sexual abuse & gun crime*

From what I can tell, 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' is about sexual abuse. It is against the man masturbating but only because he is sexually abusive to others. The shooting is the person labeled as 'she' in the song's revenge against the sexually abusive man. I do think there's a nod to pleasure and vulvas at the end as a means of reclaiming sexuality after abuse. The song was also covered by Tori Amos who's pretty sex positive.

Although that song is super complex and could be interpreted in many ways.

[ 11-11-2011, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fairness, even John Lennon's views on masturbation are... on the one hand I think he said that parents punishing their children for masturbating is bad, but on the other hand he seemed to think that adults doing it was a sign of arrested development, judging by what he's said, I think he may have masturbated a lot and then assumed that A) his sexism was caused by that, and therefore he had to stop masturbating to stop being sexist and B) that everyone else had the same experiences as him.

Also, I'm not against sexually abusive people masturbating, I'm against them being sexually abusive. I wouldn't try and guilt someone out of masturbating because they had raped someone, for instance, I'd rather try and convince them not to rape anyone again, rather than attacking their moral and legal right to ownership of their own body (which is what causes rape in the first place).

Glad you appreciated my recommendations, I hope you find something you like.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

*trigger warning for sexual violence and objectification*

I absolutely hear you on that. I wasn't very clear because it's hard to type about abuse but the man in the song is masturbating because he is using mirrors to see people undressed without their knowledge, and then masturbating because he can see them. It's this mirror thing that's the trouble, not the fact that he is masturbating during the abuse. However, I don't think Lennon puts that idea across too well, or even understands it either. The song dwells on the masturbation part too much, and spaces out on the abuse side, I agree.

Lennon doesn't seem to understand that rape and sex are actually polar opposites, that aren't similar in any way.

Thanks again for the cool music!

--------------------

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

I am sorry, I did not mean to trigger anything for you. I understand it can be hard to talk about things like this. As a disclaimer, I have not actually heard the song, I have read the lyrics, and hence decided not to listen to the song.

You are welcome again for the cool music [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Pssst: reminder that this is the forum for the big yay stuff, okay, folks? Discussions like this are okay, but are going to be better in another area of the boards. One of the reasons this area is here is to provide an area where anyone reading can feel very certain that it's happy stuff all the way, since a lot of folks here really need that respite from time to time. Thanks!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

...I forgot this was the YAY! forum. I apologise.

More music:

The Cardigans

Ella Fitzgerald

Fleetwood Mac

Aretha Franklin

Frou Frou

Garbage

Garfunkel and Oates

Goldfrapp

Gossip

Hole

Hungry Lucy

Janis Joplin

Mama Cass

All the stuff I've recommended has been at least partly by women, but I can recommend stuff by those of other gender identities too if you're interested.

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

I love Fleetwood Mac, but 'Go your own way' just reminds me of Sarah Plain since she used it! It's the best break-up song ever!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.