Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How to make the first move?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to make the first move?
Hope28
Neophyte
Member # 110516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my friend and I are both girls. She identifies as Bi, and I identify as lesbian. We have talked about our feelings for each other before. On Facebook chat and over text, we talk intimately and have even made plans to have sex. But when we are in person we don't talk that way or go through with our plans. So all that rambling on I just did (sorry)boils down to; How do two shy and inexperienced people finally get up the courage to do anything sexual, or make the first move?
Posts: 4 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hope28, and welcome to Scarleteen. [Smile]

It really can be a lot easier to share big feelings and desires with people when we're not face to face! I have dealt with that myself, for sure.

Ultimately I think it does come down to someone being brave and taking that first step. How about, the next time you're in person, you take the plan to have sex off the table, but make it a goal to ask if you can kiss her, or talk in person about what sounds good to both of you?

It's totally ok to say "I'm going to bring this up even though I feel really shy and awkward about it!" Because often, any time people who are interested in each other take the first step and initiate something physical or sexual in person, it is awkward, even if both people have made their feelings clear. Acknowledging it can help lighten the mood a bit and help you forge ahead.

However, if it really is the case that you can't bring yourself to talk about this in person, and she can't either, it could be that you're both at a place where talking about your feelings and potentially having sex feels good, but doing any of that in person doesn't seem ready yet. And if that's the case, that's ok too!
You might need to give yourself a little push and a boost of courage, and that's fine, but if you feel like it's a matter of pulling teeth to take that step, it might be a good idea to back off from the in-person plans for a little bit.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope28
Neophyte
Member # 110516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for responding so quickly, Molias!

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Her and I kissed once but we just ended up giggling and it was kinda awkward. Making plans like that was probably a little hasty.

Posts: 4 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that might help is to look at how you imagine romantic and intimate situations between the two of you, and checking if those hypotheticals are what you really want them to be. We have this kind of silly cultural script for romance and intimacy where everything is slick and sexy, all husky tones and artful flirting. For some people that kind of thing works, for lots it doesn't - giggling and being unsure and a bit embarrassed and all that are also perfectly fine ways of doing romance, if you're both happy and enjoying each other's company.
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.