Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » On slowing conversations and same old same old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On slowing conversations and same old same old
Michigan200
Neophyte
Member # 108606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been with my boyfriend for almost 10 months, we love eachother so much and we've had an amazing relationship.
We spend time together 2 or 3 times a week between work and school. Most of the time, we just chill at either my house or his and watch movies, mess around sometimes, and just hang out with eachother. Sometimes we go out for dinner or to the beach when it's nice enough. We're both pretty laid-back people and don't have a problem with just hanging out.
Lately our conversations have been slower, responses don't come as fast, and it can be hard to find things to talk about, in person and in texts. He brought up that he thinks we should go out to do things more. I'm so scared that he's getting bored with our relationship, it's been bothering me so bad.
He is the most important person in the world to me, we both need eachother and want to be together but this is really bringing me down.
If anyone has any relationship advice it would really be appreciated. I can't imagine not having him in my life, I honestly would do anything for him.

Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very typical for developing relationships to go through adjustment phases as you move from one phase to another. And shiofting out of the brand-new -- and the first half a year, if not more, is certainly that -- to a relationship people are settling into is often a challenging transition.

It sounds, though, like your boyfriend is trying to bring some creative approaches to this, like having you two get out more. maybe he does feel a little settled, but when we settle in a bit more, we will tend to feel that way. Feeling that way -- if he does -- or wanting more new experiences with someone is not bad news all by itself. Have you talked with him about your concerns and fears around this? And maybe also made clear you are open to trying some of his ideas to keep things fresh?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michigan200
Neophyte
Member # 108606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking about it with him really scares me so I kind of avoid it. I know this probably isn't good if we want to make it better, but I don't know, I guess I'm afraid that if I bring it up, he'll focus on it a lot and maybe lose sight of the good things we still have. I'm just scared to death of losing him, but I hate having these doubts so much.
Sometimes I ask him like, "how are we?" and he'll assure me "everything is perfect." cuz he knows I worry about these things. But I just can't shake the feeling that we're slowing down in our relationship and that the routine isn't exciting for us anymore.

Posts: 17 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like, although he may be also feeling that you two have fallen into a routine and he would like to have some new experiences, he is still invested in being with you. My guess is, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be suggesting you try new things together. And, many couples find that going out and doing new stuff together actually helps them strengthen the bond between them.

However, the only way to know for sure what he's feeling is, as Heather mentioned, talking with him. It sounds like he is understanding and cares about you, so there's a good chance he'd prefer to have you discuss your worries with him rather than find out that you've been bottling them up

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.