Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » I don't know what to do.... help? please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't know what to do.... help? please?
Tophatguy
Neophyte
Member # 109115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tophatguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 2 years ago I started getting bullied (not physically, thank God) and yes I've spoken to the right people, they offered for me to change classes which wouldn't work because they bully me during break, and they said if they excluded them, then when they come back ill be bullied harder. This is a lose lose situation, all because me a geek managed to get close to my crush and asked her out, which they intercepted.

Now is 2 years later, I've moved on, but I'm 16 and still not had a relationship, 1 of which said it was because the bullies started on her. Another of which moved house to the other side of Scotland, and we thought it silly to make it long distance, so we are still good friends and regularly,

Help me get a girlfriend?

--------------------
--- Geeky and proud, almost...

Posts: 6 | From: ArgyllandBute, Scotland. | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tophatguy and welcome to Scarleteen,

Helping people get girlfriends, or boyfriends, or partners of any gender, really isn't what we do here. [Smile]

If you have any concerns about relationships, we'd be happy to talk about those. Are you afraid that if you pursue a relationship, or even ask someone out on a date, you'll be bullied again?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tophatguy
Neophyte
Member # 109115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tophatguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry that this is not a topic that this forum helps with. I am sorry for any inconvenience.
Posts: 6 | From: ArgyllandBute, Scotland. | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there may have been some misunderstanding here, as we can likely talk to you about what you are asking about and help you some with that.

What do you feel like, now, are the barriers to pursuing dating for you? Is there anyone specific now, you have that interest in?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tophatguy
Neophyte
Member # 109115

There is this girl in my class, but to be honest, I don't have any confidence, what so ever.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

What do you think might help you start to develop that confidence? And do you feel the same way when it comes to making friends, including friends with women?

This girl in your class, what do you like about her? And what common ground do you think or know you might share to potentially be able to connect with her on. Or even just talk to her about to start to get to know each other better?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tophatguy
Neophyte
Member # 109115

I have to say, although I'm a self-confessed geek, I am sociable and have lots of friends, admittedly less than half are female but those that I am friends with are really close. But my main concern is that this girl that I like is my best friend and I just don't want to ruin the friendship. How do I win in this situation?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tophatguy,

That's a really common concern to have when someone we like romantically is also someone we are close to as a friend. One thing to consider is that, if your friendship is a strong one, it can usually survive one person confessing feelings that aren't reciprocated (with the caveat that, if she doesn't like you back, you continue to be friends with her without pestering her about it).

So, my suggestion is to tell your friend about your feelings towards her. It may be awkward (or it might turn out really well), and if you get rejected it might sting, but it will be better than worrying and wondering if she reciprocates your feelings.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tophatguy
Neophyte
Member # 109115

yeah, she simply said no, it would ruin the group dynamic. Thanks, for the advice, she doesn't seem that awkward about it.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to have brought an avalanche of awkward into your friendship, but I am sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped it might.

Is there anything else we can help you with (support, advice, etc)?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tophatguy
Neophyte
Member # 109115

I am fine, thanks for the advice.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.