Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Will I ever get it right???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will I ever get it right???
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A guy I posted about a while back and I ended up hitting it off pretty quickly. We've even thought about living together.. Everything is "perfect" about him except ONE thing... Apparently he didn't have the easiest life growing up. His mom was a drug addict, and his father an alcoholic. I myself do not drink, but he is extremely critical and judgmental towards those who choose to drink alcohol. He also tends to think aggressively and angrily towards them. I tell him he needs to let it go and I ask him why he cares so much ( about what other people do), or why he makes it his business? He will go on and on about how ALL people who drink are "degenerative" and all this and that. I mean my family drinks the occasional beer or glass of wine, does this make them bad people just because he's had bad experiences with addicts in his life? I mean honestly, he treats me like GOLD! I've never had any man in this world treat me so well, but what am I supposed to do about his stubborn attitude toward people who drink, he said if we ever had children he would teach them that all people who drink are trash. I do agree that children need to learn early that alcohol is bad, but I just don't believe its appropriate to teach kids to judge everyone in that way. He also believes they all deserve to be beat up. He puts so much energy into obsessing over those who choose to drink alcohol I almost wonder if we're going to last. I understand he has had issues in the past, but I don't feel that is any way to handle your past problems. He takes it out on everyone else? He will even talk badly about people he does not know who may be drinking. I think he needs HELP, but he refuses to accept that , and doesn't think he needs to talk to anyone. I'm kind of lost with what to even think. Maybe the "Perfect Man", children and family are too far from reaching... I give up... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[ 11-12-2013, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: BreakingSilence ]

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi breakingsilence,

I'd say this has less to do with you being able to get things right and more to do with your boyfriend's unhealthy method of coping with his anger. You mention that you think he needs help, and I agree that the emotions he's dealing with are something that should be worked through with the help of counselor. However, it sounds like you've recommended this to him and he's rejected it. Depending on how you feel, it may be worth it to tell him that his anger around this issue is adversely affecting your relationship, and that you want him to seek help for that reason. How do you think he'd react to that?

I also want to stress that, even if he is great in other regards, if his behavior on this front is making you unhappy you don't have to stay with him. I know it can be hard to let go of a future we've imagined having with someone, but it's good to keep in mind that having one relationship turn out to not match our hopes doesn't mean you have to let go of having a husband and a family. It just means that this may not be the right person for you to start it with.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your response. I supposed I can raise these questions with him. Thank you for your help! [Smile]

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite welcome!
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.