Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Am I over-reacting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I over-reacting?
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 5 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today, after postponing and postponing, I asked out a guy in one of my university classes when we were walking and talking to our next class (which we don't share but have very nearby). He said yes, which is awesome, but, well it went more like this:

Me: *abruptly interrupting an unrelated conversation* "so, I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me?"

*Silence while I stop at a fountain to drink water*

Me: "this is the part where you respond"

Him: "umm, I had thought of it. Umm, umm, umm, umm, umm... maybe"

*silence*

Him: "that's not a good answer, is it?"

Me: "it's not a horrible answer..."

Him:"ummmmm, ummm..." (pretty much just continuing as we walked across a 10 to 12 metre lobby) "umm, yeah, let's give that a try".

We exchanged numbers (at his initiation) and said we'd make specific plans later and parted ways.

So: the part were I wonder a little bit is all of the "umms" and "I had thought of it". (Had?).

Does "had" mean he was going to ask me out but decided against it?

Does "umm" mean he didn't really want to go out with me and couldn't find a way to say so without hurting my feelings?

I know y'all can't actually get inside of his head and tell me, but do you think I'm overreacting? Should I ask him about all the "umms"?

I'll likely see him soon today, but if not I'll see him on Friday in class for sure. We'll plan the date then, and perhaps I should ask him about the "umms" then? Or on the date? Or after if we keep seeing each other?

What do y'all think? And what do y'all think the "umms" mean?

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Moonlight,

You know, while I can't say for sure, I think it's possible that the ums and the "I had thought of it" weren't said with any sort of intention to convey anything but a little bit of confusion. You describe interrupting an unrelated conversation, and it's quite possible that his brain was just taking a while to shift gears.

I'd suggest not asking him what he meant by his words, but just seeing how things go with seeing him around campus, and with the date. After all, he may not have been conscious of what he was saying while he was figuring out this new line of conversation. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there wasn't anything wrong with the way you asked him if he wanted to go out. [Smile] These things aren't nearly as smooth as they usually make them look in the movies. [Smile]

[ 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robin, I guess that makes sense.

I still feel a little bit like he took quite some time to switch gears, but hey, he said yes in the end.

I shall see how things go.

--------------------
~moonlight

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey Moonlight,

It's absolutely okay for you to feel weird about how that played out. You're always entitled to your feelings. [Smile]

I think the cliché that actions speak louder than words is quite often true, so you'll have a good sense for what's going on as this plays out.

It's still nerve-wracking though, and that's okay. [Smile]

Good luck!

--------------------
Robin

Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: it's going really, really well. We hung out after class and are definantly going to go out (after our gosh-awful midterm exams). Before then, though, I anticipate some more hanging out and getting to know each other beyond the capacity of whispering during lecture and walking to class.

I am totally not worried about any of that other stuff any more. [Big Grin]

This is all so new and exciting and fresh! And it's helping me to see that I am capable of relating to people romantically without emotional dependency (my last relationship ultimately collapsed because of this).

I am really excited and I am SO SO SO glad that I bit the bullet today and asked him, despite it not being a perfect moment.

--------------------
~moonlight

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.