Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Baby-speak in relationships: Yay or nay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baby-speak in relationships: Yay or nay?
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in my current relationship me and my partner talk to each-other in an almost made-up language of baby-speak + bits of czech + faux german (i.e. jacob = schplacob)... it's extremely cute and totally embarrassing when other people notice.

I know it's something I see parodied in a really negative way on tv as an 'annoyingly happy couple' trope... and also something I've heard people say is annoying when they hear people doing it. I think one really interesting point is that some people think that it is to do with infantalising and belittling people. I can maybe see part of that.

I just think that maybe we're way more physically intimate with our friends when we're small children than when grown up and so it makes a lot of sense that the language that fits being intimate as adults would be similar to how kids speak.

What do people think? Is it something that happens in your relationships?

Posts: 681 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fiance and I don't really do baby talk, but we definitely have silly voices/references that we say to each other. We tend to not do them is someone specifically says they find it annoying, but otherwise we don't worry about it much.
Posts: 1248 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty uncomfortable with pet names from most people, although I've had a few people use them for me in a way that felt ok. They've usually been close friends and not romantic partners, though.

My partner & are much more in the "silly voices and in-jokes" camp than pet names or baby-talk, but I guess the line between the two can be a little blurry! Certainly most of that language that we use is very silly, and I'm happy with it being ridiculous.
We save most of our baby-talk for the cats. =)

Posts: 1316 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!

I think we'd like to be cats, lounging around eating and grooming, so that makes sense!

I suppose what we do is more just behaving in a playful 'childish' way so the silly voices and in-jokes feature in a big way.

What do you guys think you get from silly voices etc? Is it just that it's fun, or do you think you get special relationship magic from it?

Posts: 681 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.