Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Having doubts after a breakup?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having doubts after a breakup?
HyphenRow
Neophyte
Member # 107659

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HyphenRow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I broke up with my boyfriend of 8 months about 4 days ago. This is our second breakup and so I was actually dealing with it rather well immediately after. I was a bit sad, had a bit of missing him, but I knew I was going to be okay.

But now, I am having doubts as to whether I am doing the right thing.

FIRST BREAKUP:
The reason behind it was because I thought we were seeing each other too much, and I no longer looked forward to seeing him. So I asked him for space which he refused to give because he actually loves me while I haven't reached that stage yet. He was insecure and clingy, constantly calling and wanting to see me which didn't help at all - I felt overwhelmed and I told him so. But he didn't understand why i needed space from him if I really liked him. So after we got into one of our many fights about this subject, I just couldn't take it anymore and I broke up with him because I was tired and sick of him complaining/arguing with me about it and never accepting my explanations, calling them excuses instead. (There were days where I simply did not want to stay over at his place or see him, but he was hurt by my refusals - according to him he thought that I was pushing him away).

However, I realized that I really missed him afterwards and I could not stop crying. He kept trying to see me, buying me flowers and writing me a really sweet letter. He said he wouldn't yell/argue with me anymore. He was so devastated and hurt that I was sure he finally realized that he needed to change a little and give me my space. So I decided to give it another go.

SECOND BREAKUP:
The second breakup happened within 2 weeks of the first one. He did bug me less about staying over/seeing him, he moved on to call me almost every day. Talking to him everyday on the phone got boring and tiring after a while so I would tell him I didn't feel like talking. However, he took offense at that. He also would randomly accuse me of not appreciating him enough/ not doing enough for him / not caring about him enough when he does so much for me (which he actually does). The accusations were so annoying because I really DID care about him. I admit though that he has gone out of the way for me way more than I have for him (but those were his choices, not something that I asked him to do for me). And the thing that also pushed me to break it off again was the pain i saw that he was in - although i knew that he loves me very much, he would say that he couldn't take it anymore what I was doing to him. So for both our sakes, I ended it again.

During the next 4 days he would text me every day, he tells me that he cries every day. He wants me back. He had thought through his mistakes, and i truly do believe that he has finally realized what pushed me away (he wrote me alot, explaining his thoughts and such). However, after all of this, I know that my feelings for him as of right now are not as strong as they were in the beginning (but they still exist just a little). I don't want to be unfair to him and give him hope if my feelings end up not being enough. I really don't want to cause him anymore pain. But i also don't want to be making the wrong decision for myself. I saw him today for a bit, and I realized I still am attracted to him.

All these doubts in my head are killing me. Someone, please help?
(Btw, I am a 20yr old female. He is a 21 yr old male. We are both college students)

Posts: 6 | From: US | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi HyphenRow,

What you're going through sounds rough, and believe me when I say that many people have been in your shoes before and have come out on the other side of things ok.

I'm going to suggest you take a look at this article:
Does Your Relationship Need a Checkup?

Even though your relationship has ended, reading this might help settle some of the doubts that are roving around your brain right now by helping you consider what a happy, healthy relationship looks like and whether or not you and your boyfriend had one (or are likely to have one should you get back together).

One question I have for you is: if you (HypehnRows) were to get back together, what would be your primary reason for doing so?

Posts: 943 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HyphenRow
Neophyte
Member # 107659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HyphenRow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Samnw!

thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately, by the time that I have read your response, his perceptions and way of thinking have already changed -

he has moved on, no longer wishes to see me in a good light, and is now saying that I ruined the relationship, I never liked him, etc.

He has made me to be a villain, and it hurts me so much - I am in more pain now than the day after I broke up with him.

Posts: 6 | From: US | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi HyphenRow,

Have you seen this article about processing & getting through breakups? I think it might be helpful: Getting Through a Breakup Without Actually Breaking

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HyphenRow
Neophyte
Member # 107659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HyphenRow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Molias!
That's a really great article and really helpful.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you found it helpful! And certainly if you want to talk through any of the processing you're doing, we're happy to do that here as well.
Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.