Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Am I overreacting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I overreacting?
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am typing this as I wait for my boyfriend to come home from a party that we both attended. I am still recovering from a cough though, so I didn't stay for long.

This past week it struck my that my boyfriend doesn't seem to remember me / be considerate of me in certain situations. For instance tonight he was supposed to help me with something quite important and promised to do so after the party. The thing he has to help me with is time sensitive and he knows that. And yet.... He seems to have forgotten. This is just one thing in a pattern that has emerged lately and I've been feeling neglected. We've talked about it and he says he will try to be more mindful but I am starting to think he is just wired differently than I am. I don't know if I want to be with someone who doesn't consider my feelings even if the matters seem trivial. I live him,but... What should I do? Am I overreacting?

Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there situations where you DO feel care for and considered? Conversely, are there situations in his own life where he blows stuff off or leaves it to the last minute?

Obviously, you deserve to be in a relationship with someone who remembers things that are important to you and keeps their word. However, in deciding how to deal with this, it might be helpful to suss out whether this is about him not caring, specifically, or about him generally being a more lax person.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response, September. I guess he is a more lax person in a lot of ways, he procrastinates a lot. I don't think it's very good for him to keep up some of those habits though because they interfere with his career advancement as well, not just things that have to do with our relationship
Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still get to decide, for yourself, that this is a dealbreaker for you and that these are character traits that don't work for you in a partner. If that is how you feel, that is completely okay! But it may also mean that you'll have to reconsider whether this is the right relationship for you.

Either way, it sounds like you'd benefit both from thinking about this some more, as well as from talking to your partner about your concerns. You can't change how he approaches his own life, but maybe you can find some compromises for how you deal with this as it affects the relationship.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.