Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Confused About a Crush

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused About a Crush
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So ever since my ex cheated on me and we broke up about 3 or 4 months ago, I've had a major crush on this guy I sat by in math class all year. We are pretty close friends I would say and he's just so amazing. He would invite me to go to lunch with him and such so I assumed that he really liked me too. He sent me a really sweet text message out of the blue just saying how wonderful I was and how any guy would be lucky to have me and how I'm really pretty. I invited him over last weekend to hang out so we went in my pool and he had his arms wrapped around me basically the whole time and he put his head against mine, so I thought that was a huge sign that he liked me. A few days later we were texting and our conversation kind of led into me asking if he liked me and he said no. He said that he knew that I liked him and he thought that I knew that he didn't like me. I'm so confused because it totally seemed like he liked me! What's going on with him? Why do u think he was acting that way? Does he might actualy like me?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, there's no way for anyone to know why he acted the way he did; you'll have to talk to him to find that out. (Texting is good for short, simple messages, but when you're trying to have a conversation about bigger stuff, it's really better to do it in person.) You do need to take him at his word, though, and trust what he's said about how he feels.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn2425
Activist
Member # 107882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathryn2425     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually did talk about it and he said that's just how he his and he apologized because he felt like he was leading me on but I'm still confused because friends don't just act like that unless they're into you. Do you think that he just likes to flirt but doesnt want a relationship?
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kathryn,

I just wanted to address a part of what you said: "friends just don't act like that unless they're into you."

While by and large such actions are signals that someone is interested in you, there are some people who are just very affectionate and flirtatious with most people they know. In high school and college, my friends and I flirted with each other mercilessly, but none of us were interested in each other; that's just how we were around friends. To this day, we all do this around each other, but we do try to tone it down when talking to others, as we know it can be seen as romantic interest.

Nobody except him can tell you why he's so flirtatious but doesn't want a relationship with you. It could be that he doesn't want one at all, but it could just as easily be that he considers you just a friend and other girls (or guys--I don't know this guy personally) as more than friends. I'm reluctant to say that you should ask, as it sounds like you might be looking for some way to poke a hole in the just-friends boundary. (I'm sorry if that is an incorrect assumption.) However, if you believe you need to know to get closure, it's okay for you to ask, but bear in mind that he might not answer, or he might not give you an answer that you like.

I think you need to take what your friend said at face value--he's not interested, and he's sorry that his actions led you to believe he was, whatever his reasons for doing so.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.