Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Finding Independence ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding Independence ?
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 9 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm 20. I'm going into my 3 year of college.
I have no car, license, or apartment besides my dorm. I'm an only child in a single parent household, But my mom compares me to my cousins and I never feel good enough for her.
I have no license because no one will teach me to drive and driving school didn't help much but so much.
I have no car because, even though I've been working since I was 16, My money went for living expenses and college stuff and applications.
I haven't been able to find a summer job this year ( I was rejected from a total of 63 to date because "I'm in school") but I did save over 800$ from my school year job to prepare for this worst case scenario.
I've maintained a 3.5 GPA thus far despite it all. But I'm still just always getting put down. I just don't know where else to go from here. What else can I do for independence?

I mean I don't have siblings, any extra car to use, or extra parent for help so I'm at my wits end.

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MissO,

Sounds like you are in a it of a rough patch. From what you've said it seems like you are equating having a license and a car with independence. Am I reading that right?

Do you think there are ways to feel and to be independent without having a car or a license? I'd love to hear what you think.

It sounds like your mom comparing you to your cousins is really getting you down. Have you tried to tell you mom how her comparing you makes you feel? If so, how has that gone? If not, do you feel like talking to her about that is something you feel comfortable doing?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, 3.5 GPA, you rock! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissO
Neophyte
Member # 101116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried talking to her about it, but sadly no luck.

--------------------
Miss O

Posts: 38 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so as I can get a sense, what else do you need right now besides the ability to drive (and a car to drive, of course) to feel like you have the independence you need?

Are you in the dorm right now, or at home for the summer?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.