Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What's your great relationship fun like?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your great relationship fun like?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put this up on our tumblr the other day: http://hellyeahscarleteen.tumblr.com/post/50120231634/sometimes-people-have-a-hard-time-understanding

It's not only hysterically funny, I thought it was a really great example of how a happy relationship can look, something people feel confused about here sometimes.

Now, obviously, that couple was deep in their silly. But playfulness, silliness, fun is part of love: it's not all serious.

So, whether it's with someone you're dating/in a romantic or sexual relationship with, or with a close friend, what do you do/have you done together that's something like this? Something just plain fun, where you both will often laugh and laugh, and just get your goofy on?

Here at my house, for example, my partner and I have a band-that-only-plays-in-our-living-room we call Tiny Instruments, where I play my dulcimer and he plays his ukelele, often choosing songs that make so sense whatsoever on those instruments (for example, Velvet Underground covers, or the Captain and Tenille). Dancing with the dogs, or making up songs about them, is another way we goof off and hurt ourselves laughing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kids in the Hall did a movie in the 90s called Brain Candy. My partner and I have seen it together at least a dozen times, and we always try to show it to friends who haven't seen it before. It isn't the best movie, I suppose. But it is hilarious, and for whatever reason it's integrated itself into our relationship.

We are always making terrible jokes and references to this movie, or quoting lines at "appropriate" moments. I don't know if anyone else but us would find this amusing but ten years later we STILL crack up every time.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love this topic. My partner and I have watched SNL pretty regularly since we met. One of our favorite things to do and when we are at our silliest is when we are thinking up SNL skit ideas.

"I thought of a new SNL skit" is music to my ears. The best part is, I'm not sure anyone else would think our skit ideas are funny but we fall on the ground, tears coming down your face laughing.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my relationship is kind of long distance atm (Boyfriend is at Uni) but we go on Skype calls, put a movie on, mute it, and watch it at the same time, dubbing over the speaking clips and making a spoof. And we confuse my friends by finding out words from other languages and putting them in regular sentences, or just putting random words in. For example "Spangleferkel to that" and "What the badger?!" :3

--------------------
<3 ~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance through the rain~

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atypical
Neophyte
Member # 107555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atypical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate to that Dementia, except that I'm on the other side of Skype going to uni.

We have a movie night once a week where we'll watch a movie together. It has become my "mission" to fill him in on all the great classics he has missed out on. While we are watching these movies it has become a regular habit of ours to point out any and all scientific flabs, which are plentiful.

I doubt many others would find it quite as hilarious as we do, but as both of us are science nerds and absolutely love science fiction and fantasy we simply can't help ourselves. I think the one we especially bonded over was Stargate SG-1. While we both love the show certain parts of it are so cheesy, unlikely and just plain out ridiculous that you can't help but laugh.

And then of course we keep making bad puns and references to Stargate that no one else would get.

--------------------
Signature that I might fill out later ~~~

Posts: 15 | From: Norway | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When one of us makes a funny noise during "serious" or "intimate" moments (like, farting when having sex) we just hysterically burst out laughing. Sure, it may completely stop whatever we were doing and completely ruin the previous mood- but it is always a good laugh and neither of us feel pressured to be perfect in those situations. Those moments are never bad ones! If things aren't perfect, we just giggle about it!

Besides that, we love gaming together. It's a way to work on puzzles, teamwork, and communication- and we can play with just us or invite our friends as well. Sometimes we get really invested in a game, and when we accomplish something together we feel like bosses XD

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think relationship fun is so important. In my own primary relationship, we've both had huge amounts of deeply challenging personal circumstances, so often, having chunks of fun has just not been possible for multiple reasons. But still, most days, there are a few seconds or moments of silly fun that tell each other "I really like you" and "I'm truly happy to be with you". I think an absence of relationship fun means either that the circumstances are seriously damaging the relationship, or that the relationship isn't positive and uplifting any more.

Some of what we do feels too private to share - and it's not just my own privacy, of course - but it involves some very daft, simple play-acting. It also communicates closeness and trust and complete comfort with each other, because we wouldn't act like that otherwise. My partner sings ("sings" in the broadest sense [Razz] ) little jingles entirely consisting of my name. We pull faces at each other. I forget that "happywaggle" ("waggle" is not a euphemism, it's literal) is not a thing that is in general use, either as an action or an expression! It means "I'm soooo happy there's a you right here that the happy is overflowing". It's brief, simple and funny, so it's a great form of communication. And it mutates! Only this morning my partner was cuddling me and did a small happywaggle, which shook me slightly and made me giggle, and my partner came out with "Claudus (Partner's Scarleteen handle) waggles Redskies; Claudus waggles himself; Claudus waggles Everybody!" which is completely ridiculous and wildly hilarious and put us both into peals of laughter for several minutes, which created more laughter because we were still in a hug and each of our laughter was shaking the other.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Redskies, I love this. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your life. It truly is the simple, spontaneous activities that matter most, I think.

My partner and I also do that sort of silly play-acting and word-play. We once came up with a whole skit about bagels, including renaming bagels that I claim aren't really bagels at all, such as those containing chocolate chips or blueberries.

On a more serious note, fun has also gotten us through some pretty tough times. In those cases, it's been all sorts of fun including shared jokes, making an extra effort to do things together that we both enjoy, and just generally, above all, being friends with each other.

It's not silly fun, necessarily, but we've had various traditions over the years that have made sure we've done something fun every day, such as working through a book of word puzzles or playing word games on a daily basis.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not currently in a relationship but I had one moment which I still giggle about when my boyfriend came into my work once and sat down in the bar wearing one of those pair of glasses which has the nose and mustache attached and pretended he didn't know me. It was after my boss who was a really mean guy had told us he didn't want us chatting to our friends or family if they came into work. It sent me into fits of laughter.
Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.