Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How to deal with depressed friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to deal with depressed friend
Persimmon
Neophyte
Member # 95147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Persimmon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who is extremely depressed. He is medicated for anxiety, though I'm not sure if he's medicated for depression. I am really worn down from dealing with his depression and anxiety for many months (especially before he got medicated), and I am also scared that I am saying the wrong things when he tells me he is sad or suicidal. I don't really know what to do, and I guess I just want some advice, either for myself or for how to respond to him.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this friend have anyone else they can turn to for support? One person can't possibly supply all the help someone needs, and it sounds like you need a break. Ultimately, as much as you want to help him, you are also not responsible for his well-being, and it's perfectly okay for you to take a step back and say that you need him to build up some other supports in his life if he doesn't already have them. (You said he's medicated - does he also have a therapist or counsellor he sees regularly?)

It's pretty much impossible for us to help someone else if we're not feeling good ourselves - that doesn't do anyone any favours. So I'd strongly encourage you to talk to him about this, and make it clear that while you want to continue being his friend, you can't be his primary source of support right now. That's especially true at times when he's suicidal: there are plenty of hotlines he can call at those times to talk to someone who is trained to deal with individuals who are feeling that way.

As for saying the wrong thing, in my experience (as a person who's suffered with anxiety and depression for years) it's tough to to do. Short of telling him you don't care or something similar, I really can't imagine that anything you could say would be wrong or hurtful.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.