Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Birthday crafts/gifts for my boyfriend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birthday crafts/gifts for my boyfriend?
kristink8
Neophyte
Member # 96466

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kristink8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't too much of a serious matter and I hope I've posted in the correct section!

My boyfriend's birthday is around the corner (april 4th) and I'm panicking because I can't think of very much to get him. We've been dating for nearly 9 months (we feel like an old couple though). He's rather picky and in a weird way. CDs aren't an option because he has all the music he wants on his ipod. He doesn't really care about clothes and is extremely picky in that area too. Forget tickets to a game. He doesn't care for sports mostly. He doesn't drink (neither do I) so no engraved beer cups! [Wink] He basically has everything he wants so no new razor kits. He doesn't care for gadgets or tools either. He doesn't wear jewelry or cologne. Or hats.

What he does love is video games but he usually gets them himself whenever he wants (no need to save up). I would get him one because there are a few I know he wants but I can't afford it. My budget is $25-$50 depending on how much my controlling/penny-pinching mother will let me spend.
He likes when I make things for him. For valentine's day I made him a jar full of hearts a little slips or paper with love notes on them which he really liked. I told him I'd make him more.
So I'm looking for crafty (and inexpensive) ideas for things to make him.
HELP ME!! [Eek!]

Many thanks,
Kristin

Posts: 12 | From: Charleston | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't tell you exactly what you're boyfriend's going to like, here are a few suggestions to possibly help get your gears turning:

- Pictures! pictures can be great thing to give as presents, especially when they come with sentimental value and lots of memories. If you haven't been taking any throughout the past nine months though, pulling this together one will be a little difficult. However, if you do have some photos you'd like to make into momentos you might consider framing a few for the wall, making a photo album or even just finding on nice picture of the two of you to frame.

- Scrap books. If you've collected any movie tickets, receipts etc. from while you've been dating putting them into a scrap book with pictures, some notes and anything else that you think would be meaningful to the two of you can be a fun project.

-Is there anywhere your boyfriend really wishes he could travel to? Or anywhere that means a lot to the two of you that you wouldn't be able to take him to for his birthday? If so, turning a room into the place in question can be fun. Make decorations, maybe make some appropriately themed food and take mini trip within your own home.

Another option outside of crafty things might be to think about stuff he would never buy for himself but might enjoy if he someone else bought it for him. For instance, an accompanying book to one of his favourite games.

Also, I don't see any reason why you can't have a conversation with your boyfriend about the type of gifts he would like to receive. That doesn't mean you have to pick out gifts together, or have him tell you want he wants, but telling him about the difficulties you've had in finding gifts for him and getting an idea about what kind of things he wants or expects out of a gift might relieve some of the stress around special occasions going forward. While right before his birthday may be an inopportune time (or not, you'll be a better judge of that), having a conversation at some about gift expectations might be beneficial.

Posts: 245 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of getting him a physical object, could you maybe plan a nice day out together? Depending on what you like to do together, you could take a hike, visit a park/zoo/museum, have a nice meal together... it depends on what's nearby in your town. If you have something small to give him, like a little love note or some pictures of the two of you, that could be part of it as well.

I have a partner who doesn't really like getting gifts (or celebrating birthdays), so I tend to take them out to a nice dinner around their birthday as a low-key way to do something nice.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laura_mei
Neophyte
Member # 106127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura_mei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adding to the pictures idea, if you're into arts and crafts at all...one of the nicest gifts I've given was a blank, wooden frame I got from the dollar store. I painted and decorated it, and put a picture of the birthday girl and myself in. She loved it.

Another idea is to set him out on a scavenger hunt of sorts. A friend once did this for his girlfriend, there were cute little clues that led from one location to the other (can just be in the house), and there would be a small thing, like a chocolate, or an inspirational quote at every point.

Posts: 8 | From: toronto | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueberry
Activist
Member # 101779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask if it has to be something physical, but Molias already suggested some nice ideas. [Big Grin]

Personally, I'm not a big fan of getting gifts from people who don't know me really really well, I'm very picky and I worry about the environment a lot so meaningless consumption makes me go a bit crazy. Usually I ask people not to give me stuff but if they do anyway those gifts tend to end up discreetly being given away to someone who likes them more than me or to a flea market.

Soo my point is, for someone's who's picky, it's probably much nicer to receive something that can be consumed (like chocolate) or an experience, or something that you made yourself. Maybe you could draw him a cute card or something? I always draw a card for my boyfriend's birthday and he loves it, we've decided not to give each other expensive gifts and it works quite well. [Smile] Or maybe bake a cake?

Posts: 66 | From: Scandinavia | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kristink8
Neophyte
Member # 96466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kristink8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for all your ideas! I'm thinking ill print a bunch of photos of us, buy a few board games (his favorite board game is apparently candy land? Weirdo [Razz] ), and his favorite candy. I gave him a photo album to fill and a frame with a photo of us for Christmas. I also got a glass jar and filled it with folded paper hearts and little strips with love notes on them. I figure Ill make some more notes for him since he adored that. I also wanted to carve him a charm/keychain. I cant really do a scavenger hunt right now or take him out to dinner. I'll be at his apartment with his 3 roommates and they'll get weirded out.
My budget is officially $30 and I want to make him a cake so I feel like I wouldn't have enough for dinner. :-/
I'll keep all your ideas in mind for future occasions with a larger budget! Thanks again.

Posts: 12 | From: Charleston | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.