Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Receiving little feedback

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Receiving little feedback
ArridDryness
Neophyte
Member # 28747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArridDryness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So recently I started dating again (after a 2 year hiatus). I've always either been single or in an exclusive relationship. I've never done the whole non-exclusive dating thing, but I am now.

A little backstory. I met this girl a month ago through mutual friends. We live in different towns, but have talked every day since we met and managed to see each other about once a week too. I feel like I don't get a lot of feedback from her about her feelings towards me though. I'm not sure if I am a little insecure and want more feedback than is normal or if she is getting kind of lukewarm on our relationship. Like I said, I've never done the non-exclusive dating thing and I don't know what is par for the course.

A few days ago, I connected the dots and realized that she is definitely seeing another guy and not just me. Definitely something that sucked to realize, but it made me want to put the pedal to the metal. I figured, if I don't totally go for it, some other guy will and I will have lost my chance. So I've been in this really forward mindset with her. Asking her out more, trying to be more sexual, etc. I just feel like it is even more one-sided now though. She will say things every now and then that make me feel like she is still interested, but she never comes out and says anything outright. It is always indirect. I guess I just want confirmation that she feels something similar to what I feel.

My preference is to be exclusive with her, but I don't think she's ready for that yet.

Posts: 11 | From: HOme | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you asked her how she feels? It can be awkward, but there's no way of knowing what someone else is thinking without asking them. It sounds like you know what you want and how you feel about her, but you haven't gotten much information from her, so it's time to sit down and have a conversation about it.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laura_mei
Neophyte
Member # 106127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura_mei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will second Karybu on this. It is very difficult to know how someone else feels without talking about it. Even though you feel like you've been putting yourself out there more, she may also be unsure of your feelings. It's probably best to have an open conversation.

How do you feel about this?

Posts: 8 | From: toronto | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ArridDryness,

I also want to give another perspective here, as someone who has dated more than one person at once. Some folks who date non-exclusively may be doing it with the mindset of seeing who they click with and then moving to something more exclusive with that one person, but others do just enjoy having more than one partner.

And if that's the case, having or losing "your chance" may not have anything to do with how your actions towards this woman compare to how this other guy is pursuing her. It kind of sounds like you're setting this up as a situation where you and the other guy are competing for this woman's attention, but in that model her agency's kind of taken away, you know? Like folks above said, the only person who can explain how she's feeling is her, and changing your behavior as a reaction to a perceived "threat" from another man might not have anything to do with what she wants out of the relationship.

Another note - there's really no one way to do non-excusive dating. If the two of you haven't talked about boundaries and expectations around this, I think having a talk about it will probably help your peace of mind quite a bit.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.