Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » breakup, make up, breakup, make up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breakup, make up, breakup, make up
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend and I are back together AGAIN. After the first time we had sex I had a lot of conflicted feelings and retreated into isolation and that included dumping him. I thought I was doing the right thing because it's what my psychiatrist recommended, but... I don't know.

My boyfriend and I had a loooooong talk about my PTSD and depression and how I have commitment issues on top of it all. My boyfriend expressed some concerns that hurt a little; he was worried he was dating some "crazy chick" and I had to explain to him that mental illness doesn't make me crazy, it makes me sick, and just because your girlfriend has cancer doesn't mean you break up with her -- but in the end I gave him the option.

We both decided that we really, really, really like each other and we want to be together, but to help me we're going to be in a "casual relationship" -- meaning no real expectations like the l-word or long-term goals in terms of our relationship, but we still get the perks of being a couple. I don't know, the "casual relationship" thing is more of a label, nothing's really going to change, but it makes me feel better anyway.

Hopefully things will work out this time; this breakup make up breakup makeup thing can't be good for us.

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best advice with this, all things given, is to just keep being honest about what is going on with the therapist, of your two, who was most concerned about you being in this relationship.

Seriously, that way, you can have someone to help hold you to evaluating all of what's been and kept going on most critically yourself, including helping you perhaps work through some helps you might need in basic relationship skills, like taking real space and time after a breakup.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

He dumped me. Again.

I quit. I seriously quit. I am going to rock the single life for a while. This relationship clearly wasn't meant to be. I get better orgasms from my own hand anyway, and my hand doesn't plan on leaving me for a contrived reason. (Sorry, bitter.)

SO done.

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I just put up something new today that might be perfect timing for you: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/boyfriend/getting_through_a_breakup_without_actually_breaking

(Also, if I can offer some unsolicited advice, do yourself a favor and do NOT answer the phone, texts or email from this person for a while, okay? Seriously, this pattern ain't gonna break itself.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

No worries; I am so done with him. I am going to put on my "Rockin' the Single Life" playlist and listen to empowering single lady music for the rest of the night. Pffft to him.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.