Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » loyalty conflicts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: loyalty conflicts
Prozac
Activist
Member # 79657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prozac         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a history of sexual abuse, right, and a string of bad relationships and big mistakes behind me. I'm seeing a great guy now, and I think I'm starting to fall in love with him, and he said he feels the same way about me.

Things were going great until I saw my psychiatrist on Wednesday. He says I'm not ready for a relationship yet, and I should wait until I'm more stable before dating anyone. He didn't explicitly recommend it, but when I suggested dumping my boyfriend, he kind of seemed to agree with it.

Now, I feel a lot of loyalty to my psychiatrist. I owe him my life several times over, and he's great to me, and I know he has my best interests at heart. So I did what he said and broke up with my boyfriend.

Immediately after, I regretted it. It felt like there was this big hole in my chest where my boyfriend's presence used to be, and that's when I realized I had real feelings for my boyfriend (something I've never had with any other guy). So I got back together with my boyfriend -- who then dumped me because he didn't want to interfere with my therapy.

Then, last night, my boyfriend calls me in tears because he doesn't want to be without me. Bam, we're back together again, and this time it seems like we're going to stay that way for a while. I talked to my secondary therapist about it (my psychiatrist does therapy and also meds) and my secondary therapist said he fully supports me being in a relationship because I'll never be ready if I don't jump right into one (if it presents itself and I want it) and start working on it.

So anyway, I see my psychiatrist next Wednesday, and I don't know what to tell him. I have no intention of breaking up with my boyfriend again, but I also feel like it's almost betraying my psychiatrist if I don't -- like I should just be a good patient and do what the doctor says, right? But even doctors can be wrong... I don't know. I just don't know what to do. I want to do what my doctor says and get healthy again, but I also feel like my relationship with my boyfriend is GOOD for me...

I don't know what to do.

Posts: 68 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your therapist gives you advice and suggestions: they're not orders. They're simply the best advice (ideally) they can give about what they feel is best and most helpful and therapeutic for you.

Since it sounds like you have a good relationship with this therapist, I'd simply be honest. By all means, don't keep that you two are back together from your therapist: share what happened here and how you felt about it.

They still may disagree with your choices, but that should be okay. It's not their job to tell you what to do with your life, just to guide you as best they can. And sometimes that means meeting a patient in the middle, or simply working with the choices they're making a therapist doesn't agree with.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.