Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » worried I hurt my boyfriend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried I hurt my boyfriend
sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetgreendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. Tonight I was hanging out with my boyfriend. I'd had a bad day (nothing to do with him), and I also had some things on my mind about our relationship. I ended up saying some passive-aggressive things to him that were true but ended up sounding a lot harsher than I'd meant it. I apologized and we talked it out briefly and ended on a good note, but I still feel bad.

I thought about texting him and apologizing, but some of the things I said were real and I don't want to pretend they don't matter. He also tries to move on after conflict, and I think he'd feel the same way about what happened tonight.

However, we're trying to learn to communicate better. I'd rather not do this over text, but I won't see him for a few days. We don't talk on the phone much, so I think a serious conversation on the phone would be awkward. Should I say something (now or later) or just drop it?

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He likes to move on after conflict. What do you like to do or want to do? That is, what would you like to happen after there's a conflict?

Would you also like to talk about more effective ways of communicating?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetgreendreams
Neophyte
Member # 103671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetgreendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to move on as soon as I know the conflict is over, but I also tend to worry about things long after they're not an issue any more.

Recently I've been stressed out about school and sometimes those frustrations affect me when I hang out with my friends. I also keep convincing myself that "it's not a big deal." So eventually I have nights like last night, where everything bubbles up. Suggestions on how I could get better? Thanks!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, speak up and say something. Oftentimes, as well as our partners may know us intimately in relationships, they cannot -- and should not -- read our minds. That being said, if something is bothering you, bring it up; a good relationship is a safe and non-judgemental place for you to ask and talk about anything, no matter how minor or silly. There is a good chance your partner may also have issues he wants to talk about as well.

Scarleteen has a couple of resources/articles I'd be happy to leave you with as possible tools to help you and your partner improve communication in your relationship; if I may insert a personal anecdote, I like doing periodic "check ups" on my relationship, where I would sit down with my partner and initiate a customer satisfaction survey-like conversation where I ask my partner how I'm doing, what can we improve on in our relationship, and the like; the answers we get from each other and exchange are useful, because if nothing else, they allow us to touch bases for a moment and make sure we're both on the same page. This was something I picked up from Scarleteen when I was a user some years ago. [Smile]

I hope I was able to answer your question(s) and help you.

Does Your Relationship Need a Checkup?
Hello Sailor! How to Build, Board, and Navigate a Healthy Relationship

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.