Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Separation anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Separation anxiety
collegegirl412
Neophyte
Member # 95926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for collegegirl412     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I am suffering with what I believe to be adult separation anxiety disorder (I was diagnosed with the childhood version as a kid), and it's really starting to impact my life. Fortunately, I have a supportive family and boyfriend, but I know I'm putting them through a lot trying to help me and just put up with me.

Basically, I get really anxious (to the point of tears), when my boyfriend has to leave or when I know I'm not going to see him for a while. I have been trying hard to not let it get to me, but this not always working and/or not working well enough.

I am planning to see my therapist soon, but I wanted to know if you guys/gals had heard of this very much, and if you had any advice to give me on how to deal with it. Any advice or ideas are very, very welcome. Thank you.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey collegegirl412,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much right now.

Considering that you were diagnosed with separation anxiety as a child, this really does sound like a psychological concern best handled in conjunction with your therapist.

Do you experience this anxiety when facing separation from anyone else besides your boyfriend?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collegegirl412
Neophyte
Member # 95926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for collegegirl412     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will occasionally get it when I'm away from my family, but that tends to be easier to fight off for some reason.

Do you have any tips for dealing with this?

Thank you for your sympathy and for answering my questions.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Robin mentioned above, I think this strays into a territory that we just aren't equipped to address. I'm glad you have an appointment with your therapist soon, because I think they're going to be the best person to give you tips on how to manage this issue and it does sound like a really upsetting situation.

While I can't suggest the best way to cope with this anxiety, it might be helpful, before you see your therapist, to take stock of what you have been doing to cope with this anxiety and think about what seems to be working a little vs. not at all, and if you have any sense of what feels different between the anxiety you have around your boyfriend vs. your family.
My guess is that your therapist might ask you some of these questions and if you've been thinking about them ahead of time, it might be easier for the two of you to work out the best way to navigate these anxious feelings.

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collegegirl412
Neophyte
Member # 95926

Thank you both.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.