Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » how do i talk to him?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do i talk to him?
girlofglass
Neophyte
Member # 75077

Icon 5 posted      Profile for girlofglass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarleteen! I know this is sort of a silly thing to ask, but I need help approaching a guy, and I didn't know who/where else to ask.

So basically I started class a few weeks ago and I noticed that there was this really cute guy, but I didn't think too much of it because I was sort of wrapped up in a lot of other concerns. But the more I came to class the more I thought I noticed him looking at me a lot. One day we had a quiz and it was only me and him in class and he asked me a question I answered, trying to smile a lot, and the next class he sat right next to me. I sort of froze up though, and while this girl was talking behind us he kind of kept looking at me and smiling but I was really too shy to respond so I looked away...

So I told my friends and they told me I should sit next to him the next time we have class. I was going to do that this week, but I got to class before him so instead I just sat near where he usually sits, but he kind of got flustered and ended up sitting three seats away from me. I thought I would try smiling at him but I'm so scared about looking at him when he looks at me because now I'm worried he's not looking at me at all, or it'll be awkward. I know this is a really silly thing to ask advice about, but I just feel like I have no idea how to approach him, and I would really like to get to know him because I don't really want to pass up that chance...

What should I do?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, smiling at someone is a good place to start. [Smile] I'd be willing to bet that almost no one is going to react badly to someone smiling at them. It can be nerve-wracking to talk to someone you're attracted to for the first time, but a smile and just saying "hi" are usually pretty manageable. You're in the same class, too, so that gives you at least one thing in common, and something to talk about. Even asking him what he thinks of the class so far is a starting point.

What do you think?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mika
Neophyte
Member # 45929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mika     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that too, but when time comes to do it I just feel so nervous! I want to sit next to him but its a big classroom with a small class and everyone sits in their own space so I feel like it would be weird. And I never have the guts to smile at him-- I'd just feel like it was out of nowhere. I know it's what I should do, I'm just a little scared to lol.
Posts: 16 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said he's smiled at you before, so it wouldn't be totally out of the blue. Heck, I smile at people when I pass them on the sidewalk sometimes, that really is out of nowhere, and I've never had anyone react badly! I understand feeling nervous, but there's no pressure and not really a time limit on this, so take a few days or weeks or whatever you need.

(By the way, do you have two accounts here? If so, could you choose one to use? We do have a one person, one account rule. Thanks!)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mika
Neophyte
Member # 45929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mika     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks that makes sense! And no, my friend just logged in and I forgot to log out. Sorry lol
Posts: 16 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.