Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Need some advice.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some advice.
Jaylee
Neophyte
Member # 100529

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jaylee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a winter dance at my school on the 15th and me and my boyfriend decided we didn't feel like going because we already went to homecoming. Instead we decided to go on a really nice date. Usually for the winter dance the girls ask the boys. So I thought it would be cute to ask him to go on a date. I have a really good idea on how to ask him. But when we go on the date I know he has a Christmas present for me. I have no clue what to get him. Do you have any ideas? Boys are kinda hard to shop for and I don't wanna ruin the date because he has something for me and I won't for him.
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Jaylee,

It sounds like you're worried about getting him just the right thing. What about instead thinking about what kinds of things he's interested in, and see if that gives you inspiration for a gift?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaylee
Neophyte
Member # 100529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaylee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried doing that. But I'm not really sure what I can do without it being extremely expensive. Do you know in general what guys like?
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing that we can say "guys" like, since guys aren't a hive-mind [Smile] They all like different things, as they're all unique individuals, like everyone else. So instead of thinking about what "guys" in general might like, how about brainstorming about things you know your boyfriend is into, and coming up with a gift idea relating to that? For example, maybe his favourite band has a new CD out. Or maybe his favourite sports team has a game coming up that you could get tickets for. Maybe he likes playing music or painting -- you could get him art/music supplies.

What do you think? Does that help you start coming up with some more gift ideas?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaylee
Neophyte
Member # 100529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaylee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Do you think that if I told you things he likes, you'd be able to help?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's kind of outside the scope of what we volunteers/staff cover here -- however, I'm sure your fellow users would have some great input for you!
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaylee
Neophyte
Member # 100529

Okay. Thank you(:
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jaylee!

I definitely agree with what everyone else on this thread has said: a present that's related to something he's interested in would be nice.

I'm not a guy, but I know I would be very touched if someone got me a present relating to something I had mentioned in a conversation with them. For example, if I had talked about a book that I've been really interested in reading but never had the time to actually look into. Or maybe concert tickets to a group that I've been dying to see.

Maybe you could think back on the conversations that you've had together and see if anything that he's mentioned jumps out to you (like his favorite band, sports team, book, etc.)? So, what is he into, if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't mind helping you brainstorm some ideas. [Smile]

[ 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, a gift voucher for something you know he's interested in can be a good idea if you don't want to take a risk of something really specific. So if they do a bit of reading, it could be great to give them a book voucher. Or it could be any voucher that you know they'd be happy to use. [Smile]

Use your intuition, it is rarely (if ever) wrong. [Smile]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaylee
Neophyte
Member # 100529

Thank you guys. This helps a lot. And no I dont mind you asking(: He doesn't really read books. He likes Michigan, the color blue, Greenday, music in general, going to see movies, anything fun, he's really into trying new things when we go do something together, he likes working out. For some reason he likes fuzzy socks? Haha. There's probably more but that's all I can think of right now.
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm seeing a few things here you could do. If there's a movie out that you would be interested in seeing and think that your boyfriend is interested in seeing, you could take him out to that. Or you could get him a Greenday CD if you can find one you know he doesn't have. Or you could get him blue fuzzy socks. Or give him blue fuzzy socks when you tell him that you'll take him out to the movies so it doesn't feel like you're giving him nothing.

I get wanting to give the perfect gift, but it's really one of those things where you'll only know if it was a "perfect" gift once he opens it. I really don't think you'll be able to "ruin" the date by not getting the perfect gift.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the ideas that Moonlight has suggested, and I'd also like to add that posters are also good for people's favorite bands (if you think he'd be into hanging up a poster in his room).

Knowing that you took into account what he's interested in will be something that is really sweet and that he'll probably appreciate. I, too, don't think that you'll mess up your date if you don't get the "perfect" gift. [Smile]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaylee
Neophyte
Member # 100529

That helped so much! Thank you guys. I love the socks idea and the poster was perfect. He keeps telling me he's trying to fill up his walls with things. I think I just found my gift(:
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Glad to hear it, Jaylee! [Smile]

--------------------

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Glad to be able to help! [Smile]

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.