Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Those Three Magic Words

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Those Three Magic Words
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever said I love you? Did you mean it? If not do you regret it? Who did you say it to, and how long had you been with that person? Just curious. I've never said "I love you" and I was just wondering if anyone else had

------------------
"Girl you can pick a field full of daisies...but he'd still be my baby!" ~Dream

***STACY***

Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said it without meaning it, but I didn't regret it cus at the time I was too young to even fathom what love really was.
I just said it to say it, and I'm sure he said it for the same reason too. However, I have actually been in love, and I never told the person.

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phsygnosis
Activist
Member # 2226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phsygnosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said I love you to my recent g/f. She just broke up with me about 4 days ago. We were going on 8 months. I really did love her and I ment it when I said it but I don't know about her. I don't think someone would actually leave someone because they didn't "have time". My mom said, "if she loves you then she should have made time.

-Phsygnosis

Posts: 88 | From: Canton, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kechara
Neophyte
Member # 2259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kechara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first said it when I was just learning to talk. I said it to my parents and my little brother and my grandparents and various other relatives. And it's completely true. I know this isn't what you're asking, but I get annoyed when people say love to mean romantic type love as if it's different and somehow superior to other kinds of love.
I do say "I love you" to my boyfriend, and it's true (I think). It's the only words I can think of to convey the emotions I get when I'm near him (well, "you're so wonderfull" and "you make me so happy!' are also accurate ) We didn't say it to each other when we were first going out; first item was about 6 months ago, maybe a little more, about 6 months (or a little less) after we first kissed. Now we say it to each other *constantly*. I might note that I also have a girlfriend (maybe 2 in the neer future... eep!) of about 3 months, though we were good friends for quite a time before then. But I've never said "I love you" to her because, well, I don't. I do care quite a lot for her and enjoy being in her company, but all of the happy staring off into space and grinning idioticaly I do when thinking about her (the sorts of things that most of my close friends do *not* cause) feels like a crush except without all the nervousness (and also about how I felt about my boyfriend when we were first together).

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said I love you to friends and family and truly meant in. And in a romantic sense, I've only said "I love you" once and really meant it and felt it. He never said it back, due to circumstances (he had just left me for someone else) but I was planning on telling him I loved him that weekend and I couldn't say good-bye without him knowing that I did love him. I am glad I said it. Except next time I tell a romantic partner I love them, I am hoping they'll say it back, or at least smile. Saying I love you then hearing, "I'm sorry, things just happened between me and this girl." Isn't my idea of an "ideal" romantic situation!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"I watch you sleep away the time. I watch you sleep.....sleep tight."
My Webpage

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I regularly say I Love You to a few of my friends, family and of course my bf.

Those three words really mean alot to me and it took me some time to say it to my guy. I know I really appreciate it when a friend gives me a hug and says I Love You or messages me and tells me that. It really brightens up my day.

I don't say i Love You to my parents. I usually write a note or letter to them and tell them. Think we Asians (or at least the ones I know) are still not very open with our feelings when it comes to family members.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I say it all the time to my sweetie, but like Lin, I don't say it to my parents. "I love you" is a phrase that means a lot to me, and I don't just toss it around. When friends say it to me, I am flattered, but I don't really know how to respond.

Then again, I even use the term "friend" sparingly...

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell my current boyfriend I love him all the time. And I say it because I mean it. My ex always told me he loved me, but I never told him I loved him because I didn't feel that way. I also have a few very close friends who I tell I love, because they are very important to me.
Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i teLL my bf that i love him aLL the time. i reaLLy do mean it. i actuaLLy have told my ex that tOO. i reaLLy did fEEl that i loved him as much as i could poSSibly love a partner. but then i saw the big picture... but my cuRRent bf is WONDERFUL! it tOOk me a while to get the courage to say it. but it was him who blurted it out when we were having a fight. i might be young, but i do love him as much as im capable of.

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vballgrlie17
Neophyte
Member # 2080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vballgrlie17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say I Love You to my boyfriend quite often and I really mean it. I've never felt this way about anyone before. It made me so happy when his face broke into a smile ad he told me that he loved me too. <3
Posts: 28 | From: Mass. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowStar
Neophyte
Member # 43391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of those people that when they feel something intensly they can't always help but act on it.

I'm in a tricky situation with a best friend at the moment, and am pretty unsure as to where our relationship is going, but i really really love him in many ways so i'm going to stick it out and hope for the best.

We sometimes fool about, and i'm not sure how much it means to him. One time when we were i couldnt help but say that i loved him, the words just came out before i could stop them. I kinda wish i hadnt, cos it didn't feel great that he never said anything back, but then he's not good with talking anyway.

It's been a while (a couple of months actully) since then and things had been on and off, which kept me really confused >_< but recently he started things happening again, after a while where i'd almost totally given up. I'm hopeing to find out more of how he really feels soon. I'm not expecting things to be completely sorted out, but if it's positive i might tell him i love him again, just so he doesnt forget XD

--------------------
The best things in life can be unexpected. I'm glad i stopped running from change. There's more to this than sparks, you make the sky explode and hold my hand as the dust falls around us.

Freedom Isn't being Alone. x

Posts: 13 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Bunny
Neophyte
Member # 43449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Princess Bunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am falling in love with my best friend. We have been together in a relationship for about 126 days and I said "I love you" about three hours after we started going out. Did I mean it? Yes, I will always mean it. I love her and nothing or no body could ever change the way I feel about her. Our relationship is so strong that we can get through anything and everything. Now that I think about it we have been through everything together. The reason our relationship is so strong is because we were best friends for 7 months before we started going together. I love her so much that I cry, she is all I think about, she is all I want, she is my world and my everything. I love her with all of my heart!

--------------------
Princess Bunny--living life with her, loving her, being in love with her and no regrets!

Posts: 20 | From: Living with th elove of my life, Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first full sentence was actually "I love Mikey-" I didn't say I love you because I knew that Mikey, my infant little brother, couldn't understand me.

I have meant "I love you" every time I've said it in a romantic relationship, but I also think that my understanding of what that meant has changed dramatically over time. "I love you" to my boyfriend in sixth grade meant something entirely different than "I love you" to my girlfriend now.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowStar
Neophyte
Member # 43391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember my last comment on this?
I got to hear the magic words from my best friend for the first time today, except they were 6 not 3 - 'I love you as a friend.' And you know what, it meant more to me than anthing i'd hoped for. If you knew this person then you'd understand why it meant more to me than the answer I thought i'd want to hear. He and I have talked things out and we're going to stick with being friends. I'm glad.

--------------------
The best things in life can be unexpected. I'm glad i stopped running from change. There's more to this than sparks, you make the sky explode and hold my hand as the dust falls around us.

Freedom Isn't being Alone. x

Posts: 13 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Real Me
Activist
Member # 96324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Real Me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say I Love You to my amazing boyfriend alot and I truely mean it. I have never felt this way about anyone before. It made me so happy when he smiled the biggest smile and then when he told me that he loved me too. I love him with ALL my HEART!!! [Smile]

[ 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: **Angel Eyes** ]

--------------------
*The Real Me*

Posts: 89 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say "I love you" to lots of different people and mean it in different ways. I tell my parents I love them all the time; and I truly mean that. I think I have different types of love for them, even though it's overall a love a child has for their parent; but I say this because my parents (as all individuals are) are two different people, so my love for them - though equal in intensity - is not the same type wise. Does that make sense?

I have very close friends that I also tell them I love them; and I have different types of love for them as well. I say "I love you" to my cat; and though he can't understand me, he probably hears my baby tone I use for him and translates it into being something happy-oriented. [Smile]

My brother is someone I almost nag about this; since I usually attack him with a hug and "Love you, ________ (his name or nicknames I give him)!" Even if he finds it annoying at times, he'll usually mumble a "Love you" back. [Smile] I like saying "I love you" over text and email... Does anyone else do that?

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl1219
Neophyte
Member # 97563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl1219     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from family, I said it to my ex boyfriend, and I really didn't mean it. I was heart broken, and just kinda rambling things that would rope him back in. In short, I decided it's not what I wanted.

I've also said it to my current boyfriend of a year and two months, and as far I can tell, I mean it every time. Not only is he my boyfriend, but my best friend. We can talk, and wrestle, and play video games, or bake like good friends too, plus the kissing and cuddling, and interactions of a couple. He's the most understanding and loyal person. He's perfect to me, and I just love him.

Posts: 25 | From: -- | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.