Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How to show you like them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to show you like them?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, we've been getting questions in text a LOT lately about how to show someone you like them. So, why not offer a helping hand to other users on what's worked for you in the past?

You have a crush on someone ... how do *you* show them how you feel?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CSandSourpatch
Activist
Member # 95598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSandSourpatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should preface this by saying that I'm in college and I'm very straightforward, so that's colored my experience a little bit, but I'll try and say a few things that seem to have worked throughout time.

First, I try to be nice to them. Strangely, the stereotypical schoolyard concept of "I don't like you therefore I'm going to tease you" doesn't seem to work... [Razz] (And believe me, I've seen it tried!)

I also try to see if I have common interests with them, and play to those if possible, especially if it means spending more time with them and getting to know them a little more as a person.

I also make note of things I'd never known about them before (though not to the point where I have to follow them around to realize--I just naturally pay more attention) and try to bring those up naturally in a conversation.

I tend to be a bit more physically affectionate, as well, but only if the person is receptive to it. This usually just takes the form of longer hugs and resting my head against their shoulder--nothing more than that.

Lastly, I will, after a while, just outright say "I like you". But, of course, I do this at a time and place when privacy is assured so that whatever goes down stays between the two of us if need be.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the best way is to tell them "I like you" but it takes a bit of courage to do that. I seem to have gotten better at it as I've gotten older though.

Subtle things I do though include wearing outfits that make me feel sexy or offering to pay for meals/drinks or buying smallish gifts (usually books) I want them to read.

Great topic!

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've balanced my ineptitude at outright telling someone I like them with realising that a lot of that nervousness can actually be about incompatibility. For me, good communication/sex/a-relationship is just easier/better with certain people.

So focusing on letting them know that I like them is maybe just one part of finding out for myself if I'd like 'us' as much as I think I do. I think that approach really often leads to having fun with someone, them feeling that I'm interesting in knowing more about who they are. And it can move pretty quickly from there if they feel the same way.

[ 11-15-2012, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but say that I totally remember passing the "do you like me? Check yes or no" for a couple of friends over the years. I was always more of the,"I think you're awesome, maybe we should hang. I like coffee, do you like coffee? Great lets do coffee sometime!

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.