Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Seeing Ex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seeing Ex
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ex of a little over 2 months has agreed to let me come visit him tomorrow. We're planning on just going to eat and see a movie, but my mom doesn't think this is a good idea. We didn't end on bad terms, and we've been having great conversations since the breakup, and I just think it'd be really nice to be able to catch up in person. He seems excited about seeing me too, which is good. I don't expect us to get back together after this, and he's said that this "isn't a date". I guess I'm just asking for experiences of this sort and whether or not this is a bad idea. I really do want to see him but at the same time, I don't want to be back at square one as far as the breakup goes. I really do feel better about the breakup and don't have any hard feelings toward him, so I think I'll be okay.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 95068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiveanddime         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roxie,

I think it's hard for any of us to say definitely whether or not it's a bad idea, especially because it sounds like both you and your ex are on the same page about the fact that this isn't a date.

I don't know why your mom feels the way she does, but in the past I've found that it takes me longer than I think to get over an ex. Two months is long enough for some people, but not long enough for others.

My suggestion: have fun, stay safe, and make sure that there's a "way out" if you don't feel comfortable (a way to get home or someone you can call for a ride). However, the situation as you've described it isn't raising any red flags for me.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roxie102!

I'm in agreement with Fiveanddime, too. It sounds like you and your ex have a good relationship with him, and it's nice that you want to stay friends or be on a casual basis.

I would be a bit cautious about seeing him and managing your feelings. I think it also depends on the ex and how the break-up occurred, but if you are truly at ease with seeing him, it sounds like this is something you'd like to do and something that can be fun. I have an ex that I've remained on good terms with, and we hang out once in a while; but I'm the kind of person who takes a long time to heal after a break-up, so I would be cautious of your feelings and just tread lightly before, during, and after the outing.

Again, it's great that you and your ex want to hang out, but as Fiveanddime mentioned, make sure you have a way out in case you for any reason want to go home early. Take care of yourself and know that whatever you do feel about this get-together or otherwise- good or bad, regardless - is perfectly okay. [Smile]

"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peer Ambassador
Member # 72015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roxie102     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, here's an update...

I ended up going, and we had a fantastic day. It's been a while since we had so much fun together. We spent the whole afternoon together and he wasn't even ready for me to go when it came time for me to go. I was a little concerned about how I would feel when I saw him, but we laughed and joked and genuinely had a great time. I'm more than glad I went to see him. We even agreed to see each other the next time I have a break from college. We're honestly each other's best friends and I'm so happy to still have him in my life.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.