Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » My friend is getting married

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My friend is getting married
jayjay92
Neophyte
Member # 96171

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jayjay92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so my friend is officially getting married next year, and she's Mega excited and so am I.  I mean her fiance has even personally called me one of the best friends she's got, according to him.  I have helped them do tons of shit, I've helped them smooth things out and I am the one that sees her the most.

I already knew I wouldn't be the maid of honor, because she's letting a friend she's known forever even though they've been fighting.  I get that, I understand, I've only known her for a couple of years.

However it upsets me a bit that she hasn't asked or said that I would be a bridesmaid.  I mean, I feel that I've been with her through shit and back and I was the only one of her friends that helped her and her dad move out of their home when he got it taken away.  Should I say or ask anything?  Like hint or what?  It just honestly hurts my feelings a bit.

--------------------
Go with the flow!

Posts: 30 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, jayjay92! [Smile] Sorry for the late reply, the boards a bit understaffed these days.

I apologize because I do not know how to best respond to your present query. However, I am bumping up this post so that users who are able to give a better response than myself can see and you can get the help you need.

-bump!-

[ 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Sans ]

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jayjay92, I'm not sure if I can be of service here, but I will attempt to try! I was a part of a wedding a few months ago, and since I was so immersed in it (my friend talked about it a lot, as I guess is customary with weddings), I kind of ended up thinking about a few things.

My friend, too, chose a friend she had known for over a decade as her maid of honour. I think sometimes, even though these kinds of best friends drift apart, they still get drafted as the maids of honour due to not only the amount of time the bride has known them, but also because of other factors (maybe your friend likes her best friend's planning styles or thinks she would be a good fit for the job because she has had experience throwing parties). But, I think it's obvious that your friend cares about you a lot and values your opinion and how you feel (especially since her fiance has already stated that you are one of her closest friends; and that's an outsider's perspective into the relationship!); so, whether or not she includes you in the ceremony, try to remind yourself of these things (also, being a friend who had had a somewhat big role to play in a wedding that was very stressful, sometimes it's nice to not have a huge role but to be supportive of your friend in other ways. For instance, take her out for coffee or dinner as a "wedding distraction." She will probably appreciate that!).

As far as you asking about being a bridesmaid, im honestly not sure. That might be putting her - and you - in an uncomfortable situation. But, you can always dance around the subject and say something like, "How far into the wedding have you been planning? Do you guys have a list of groomsmen and bridesmaids?" You can even ask about random stuff, like decorations, to try and act casual.

Please try not to feel badly about this. You are a good and valued friend to her, and I'm sure she knows that! Take care!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.