Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Mom thinks i'm gay.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mom thinks i'm gay.
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, my mom was in my room looking for a textbook of hers that had gone missing. Once she entered my room, she saw the picture of Princess Celestia set as my background pic.
My mom was curious as to why it was there, saying such things as, "Why is there a picture of a pony on your computer?", "Are you gay?", "I don't think you're exactly normal..." and other crud like that.

Was my mom right to say that I'm a fag, or gender-confused, or anything of the sort? I'm just so under the weather at the moment. [Frown]

[ 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: justinbieberfan ]

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No your mother wasn't right to say those things. Being gay and being gender-queer are not based on anything but who one is attracted to and what (if any) gender one identifies with, respectively.

Furthermore to tell you that you're not normal, or to liken being gay to being abnormal is completely awful.

It sounds like your mother has some awful misinformation that she was using to make these assumptions.

Does your mother regularly say things of this sort? If so, or if you feel this individual incident alone warrants it, I would suggest that you talk to her and let her know just how out of reality her statements were. You could explain to her that liking ponies doesn't make you gay. Yeah, lots of queer folk are going to love ponies, and lots of queer folks are going to hate them, and lots will be indifferent, just like any folks who aren't queer.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violet1234
Activist
Member # 63961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Violet1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the only person who can decide if you are gay, straight, trans, or otherwise is YOU. And your Mom certainly should not make you feel bad about yourself, no matter how you identify. Plus, liking boys if you are a boy or liking girls if you are a girl is what makes people decide if they are gay or not, not what pictures they have on their screensaver.
Posts: 49 | From: California, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Mom says that she was only asking a legit question.

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like I said above, it sound like your mother really doesn't get that it isn't legit to ask that question for the reasons that she did.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.