Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Does he need to know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does he need to know?
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very close male friend of mine recently admitted he has feelings for me. I told him how I honestly feel, which is that for me, I find him physically attractive, and we're good friends, but there's nothing fond/romantic there, so I'd never be able to be in a traditional relationship with him, because a traditional relationship is the only context within he'd want to be physical. So this isn't a case of I-like-someone-else-but-I'm-taken. Boyfriend aside, we both know it couldn't work between us.

Not-boyfriend aside, I have a boyfriend. I love him dearly. Considering that neither of us are choosing to act on our mutual physical attraction and his deeper feeling, there's no risk of infidelity here or anything.

Need I tell my boyfriend? I feel like if I didn't,it would be a lie of omission, but on the other hand, I can't really see where it would benefit him to know that one of my friends likes me, he knows I'm in a relationship and am not interested, and we will pursue it no further.

Is this the sort of thing I ought to tell or is it irrelevant?

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's look at it this way -- What do you think the reaction from your boyfriend might be?

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, ignore this. I'll tell him, because I'll feel like I'm lying if I don't, and that -will- give me something to feel/act guilty about even when I'm being faithful and shouldn't feel that way.
Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Oops, didn't see the reply. That was quick! It would probably "Oh dear, that -is- awkward." if I told him straight out, rather than "Honestly I find it a bit weird that you two are so close when you've known he likes you for a while?" if I waited/he found out/it came up later. If me and him were just acquaintances, I don't think it would merit mention, but we're very close friends, so it probably does. So I've told him. Thanks for your prompt help though [Smile]
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. :-)

What I was getting at here: I wanted to gauge what the reaction might be to kind of see if that is playing a part in you worrying about this.

That said, being in a relationship with someone does not mean that the rest of the world gets turned off, obviously. Other people might like you and want to be with you, you may find yourself being attracted to others, considering possibilities of relationships, etc. It's very natural, totally fine.

You do not have anything to feel guilty about here. Because you feel it's important, my opinion is that you should tell him about it. Assuming you've agreed to be monogamous, you're holding up your end of the commitment. If he gets really upset or begins acting possessive, just FYI, that'd be a red flag you may want to pay attention to.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

(Just saw your other reply.) Cool - sounds good, and also sounds like a good opportunity to practice healthy communication skills! [Smile]

--------------------

techie
Activist
Member # 61437

His reaction (among regrets that it'll be awkward between me and the friend) was just to joke around. No red flags. All good stuff =D Thanks for the advice [Smile]
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Cool. Good job. And you're very welcome.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.