Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » I just had an argument with my ex-flatmates about what living together means.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just had an argument with my ex-flatmates about what living together means.
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 8 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am an adult, but I don't earn enough to rent a separate flat*, and living with people has the advantage that it creates easy occasions to socialize. The problem is, that with my depression and job of unpredictable hours/day I wasn't into, say, cooking too much for each other - I could barely make the minimum of the things I needed to do for my share of housework, and I disliked things like my flatmates' inclination to cook too much, because that created obligation for me to reciprocate. It also seemed that our standards of cleanliness were too different (me not being annoyed by stuff that already annoyed them). Also I failed to notice some things that weren't even important enough t observe for me, but they turned out to be annoying for them, and thy disliked even saying me them, in the idea that they hate nagging.

We need to move, and we agreed that we need different places to live.

But then they found a place with two kitchens, and I got hope back, just to let it explode in a shitstorm of an argument yesterday. I wanted to be more separate, and I thought that with the two kitchens it would b realistic. They got into talking more and more about the ethical, political and practical importance of sharing things, buying some of the food together, cooking for everybody etc etc, and when I have tried to say that it's about practical things, like where do you draw the line between the basic stuff you buy together so you can pay less for it and the personal food you buy yourself, or that if they are more into cooking, they can do it more often in their kitchen and leave me be in my kitchen (shared with only on or two people, if we could find someone compatible), it exploded, as in "this means that you want the advantages of living together without paying the price". I thought that if what I mostly want from them is companionship, then I pay it with offering MY company, and the practical problems of having to share cleaning duties is secondary to that, and in rest, how much we share is not a question of morality, but practical things, but it was all lost by then.

So I suggested that damn, by some definitions maybe we aren't a REAL community unless we'd all have sex together, and left [note: this was just an angry parody, this is not a sexual problem, even if I am publishing it at scarleteen].

So, could you maybe point me towards some resources about what fairness means in this kind of relationships? because being attacked by a whole group is sad and frustrating, and I'd like some info on my back. I didn't want to share a kitchen with them because I now that they are not responsible for me (my depression doesn't create obligations in them), and I hated the vague feeling of generalized guilt I had most of the time, but I stupidly got into the hope that it could be resolved if only we didn't have to share a kitchen.

*Maybe I'll try it now, borrowing money from my brother etc.

[ 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: naplement ]

Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think that the basic etiquette for living together with flatmates isn't one-size-fits-all but rather something that depends a lot on the people involved, the relationships between them and the reasons they have for sharing an apartment.

Some people like to be more involved and socialize together, others prefer being more separate and not hanging out together. Either is fine - as long as everyone involved is on the same page.

It sounds like in your case, you wound up with a few flatmates that were a pretty bad fit, because their needs and expectations are different from yours. I don't see this as reflecting negatively on you at all. I'd just say that it sounds like it's time you all move on, and your flatmates find someone who is equally interested in sharing community, and you find flatmates for yourself who are in it more for the practical side of things and aren't interested in having dinner together every night.

In short, to answer your last question, I think fairness in this context means making sure that within a group of flatmates, everyone is looking for roughly the same thing, and they each pull their weight in the duties they agreed upon.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.