Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Staying Together During College

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Staying Together During College
pinkwolf
Neophyte
Member # 70806

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pinkwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to going to college! I'm really excited. I plan on staying with my boyfriend, as well. We've been dating for almost three years.

We both decided we're going to stay together. Whenever people ask if we're staying together during college, they're really skeptical towards my response. I hate the negative energy.

My mom told me not to stay with him because it's going to keep me from meeting someone new. If I've already found someone I love, why would I try to find someone new? My boyfriend tells me this. He's not looking for someone either.

But anyway, is there anyone that has advice to make this relationship work? We're only going to be about 3 or 4 hours apart.

Posts: 12 | From: Dallas, US | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason it's common for many people to discount younger people's relationships as not as serious or not as real. If you are happy and this is what you want to do (and your boyfriend as well) that is what is most important! Long-distance relationships can have their own challenges, but they are not impossible.

Check out this article for some tips:
Going the Distance: A Few Thoughts on Long-Distance Relationships

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet R 1974
Neophyte
Member # 71374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet R 1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of adults tend to think that young relationships won't last but some do and some won't. Follow your heart on this one and if you truly love each other just make sure that you always keep the lines of communication open. I'm an older mom and believe me I think that young love can be just as wonderful as adult love. Communicate with each other and you never know, it may be forever.
Posts: 6 | From: Tenn | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.