Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Fear of commitment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fear of commitment
Froom
Neophyte
Member # 47611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Froom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hullo,
I just turned 24 and recently met my second boyfriend (and it's a long-distance relationship). My first was at University, and we decided before we started going out that we would end the relationship when we graduated. So with this new guy, it is my first open-ended relationship and I am completely terrified.

I have been desperately trying to identify exactly what it is that freaks me out (freaked out to the point where I'll just close off completely and be crying and can't talk to him or move or anything). He knows I have this fear and is being very patient and understanding about it, but I don't know how to explain it to him any better, I don't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel like this is about him, because he's wonderful and I feel a real connection with him.

I'm afraid that maybe its because I'm too worried that other people won't approve (why should that matter to me??), he's shorter than me and I don't know.. I can't figure out what I'm thinking. I know that part of it is that I don't want to get stuck in a situation that I can't get out of if it turns out to not be right for me.

This is not not the first time this commitment issue has arisen. I have never had a job that I didn't have a good reason to get out of it lined up before I even started (or I found one pretty quickly), and I'm pretty sure that the only reason I was okay with my first bf was because I knew when it was going to end.. I didn't feel sad or anything when we did.

I really don't want to go through my entire life alone like this, and I really do need a career. Are the two linked, am I over reacting, and should I just keep trying to chill out and take things as they come?

Many thanks

[ 06-25-2010, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Froom ]

Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.