Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Good News: The "talk" with My Mom About Getting Birth Control/Contraception

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good News: The "talk" with My Mom About Getting Birth Control/Contraception
khaetlyn
Neophyte
Member # 47264

Icon 10 posted      Profile for khaetlyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Scarleteen Users,

While I am new to the message boards, I have been keeping up with Scarleteen for a few months and have read some of the stories people post on here--some good and some, unfortunately, are not so good.

I support Scarleteen with every ounce of my being and am very thankful that such a resource exists. I am especially thankful that there is a place for teens and young adults to come when they are in need of advice and support. But just as these message boards are an appropriate place to post your fears, questions, and secrets, I also believe that sharing positive stories is a necessary component of this community. This is why I would like to share some good news with you all.

My best friend of 1.5 years and "official" partner of 2 months, Caleb, have been discussing the issue of sex recently. We have a wonderful relationship and communicate our likes and dislikes openly. We never pressure each other and are always honest about how we feel. I am very fortunate to have him as a friend and partner.

The only reason why we haven't had sex yet is contraception. Neither of us has ever had intercourse before, and while we feel completely comfortable with each other, we don't want to take any risks when it comes to unwanted pregnancy, STIs, and so on. He has condoms, but we want to "double up" on protection to be extra careful.

So...I asked my mom one night. "Hey mom," I said. "What are my options for birth control?"

"I knew this was coming," she said. I'll admit, it was a bit awkward at first, but I know that being honest with her was just as important as being honest with my partner. She asked me questions about what Caleb and I have done so far (everything except intercourse), how I felt about that (I'm 100% comfortable with him and my body), if he had been pressuring me (which he has not), and so on. Then she lists my options: the pill, female condoms, IUD, etc.

I was a bit surprised at how she reacted. I was not sure what to expect but I'm glad she was open minded and understanding about my sex life.

We're going to go to the health department or the local clinic so a professional can explain to me my options and figure out which one I would like best. (I like how the IUD sounds. it's at the top of my list right now.)

Now, I am not so naive as to think that everybody's parent(s) will be this calm and understanding about this topic, but I am hopeful and believe that some parents will be--and perhaps give everyone reading this some insight and give you courage to talk to your parent(s).

Thanks Scarleteen!

[ 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: khaetlyn ]

--------------------
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." -Gloria Steinem

Posts: 16 | From: Greenwood, South Carolina | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, khaetlyn! It's great to hear that your mom was so awesome and calm about this! I also really like to hear that she asked you questions about the quality/dynamics of your relationship. It's always good when a parent keeps those aspects of a sexual relationship in mind [Smile] So glad to hear that you have such a supportive parent, and I hope that in the future everyone's parents will be like that [Smile] Thanks for sharing your story with us!
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.