Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » My boyfriend is my girlfriend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My boyfriend is my girlfriend
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'm new here, a friend recommended this board before and now seems like the best time to put it to use.

Today I found out my long distance boyfriend for over four years is infact not a boy at all. I'm surprised and awed how she managed to have me fooled for so long, although she does look like a very pretty boy, and her voice is kind of in the middle, she sounds like a masculine female(which she is) or a feminine male.

While I hate she lied to me from the begining, and kept doing it for so many years, I also appreciate she finally told me, after a few years of coaxing because I knew she had a secret, and she said she couldn't tell because it'd break us apart and she didn't want to lose me. I feel that now we can build this relationship on a truly honest, stable base.

But.
I don't know if I want to. While I love her for the person she is, I find it a little on the tough side to see her the same way now that she is a girl, rather than a boy.
Although, it made for the perfect time to peek out of the closet and tell her that I'm actually not straight as a laser, but sort of bisexual. But while I did take a step out of the closet, I feel like I went into the closet. So far I've been living under the impression I have a straight relationship, and all of a sudden, I don't. I don't know how to tell my parents, or my friends, I know my older sister would condemn me. We figured we won't tell yet, but rather try first if we work as a female couple.

Of course, this raises a lot of insecurities in me, because so far I've been catering out to the needs of a male in all our intimate endevours. I learned she's always faked orgasms-- which isn't that big a deal because as a girl, I know it isn't that important if we peak or not. But at the same time I feel like I'm unable to please her now that I know her needs are a little different from what I'm accustomed to, what with her having certain bodyparts and lacking others.
She doesn't really see herself as "into girls" either (but continued in the same breath that she's probably in denial), and I feel every compliment she's ever given me has been fake and untrue to some extent, especially when it comes to intimacy.

I also don't know how this will fare long term, because despite my orientation, I have always been more into boys than girls. I have very traditional aspirations, you know the usual, a house, a husband and a couple of kids.
I don't want to lose her, I've loved her very deeply for so many years, but I don't know if I can be in a relationship that likely has no future.

I really don't know what I'm seeking here. I don't necessarily have any questions and know it'd be useless to ask what others would do, because what matters is what I feel I should do.
It's probably pointless to ask if this has happened to anyone else before. Probably not.
I guess I just wanted to get this out off my system, I can't really talk to anyone about it right now. Not yet. Not until we've had time to see if we can work it out. She preferred that people still think he was a boy just in case we'd have to split, as she didn't want to put me in an awkward position.

edit:
OH RIGHT.
This is by no means meant to scare anyone off of an internet relationship or a long distance relationship or anything like that! This is just my personal story of what happened to me, and I seriously don't think it's common.
And.. uh. Love conquers all?

[ 10-18-2009, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Cian ]

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cian, before I answer, there's a piece of this I'm missing I need to know how to answer.

Does this person identify as male or female? In other words, are you dealing with someone who IDs as female, but who is simply very androgynous or butch, or with someone who is - or feels they may be -- transgender and either identifies as male, or who feels they would like to identify as male?

(By the way? This most certainly has happened to others before, both in person and -- all the more so -- online. One of the trickiest parts of online relationships is that it is very easy for people to represent themselves differently, even radically so, than they are, especially if a relationship goes on for such a long time like this without an in-person meeting. And if it helps you feel better, at the start of Scarleteen, we had an issue just like this with a staff member, and it went on for a good deal of time, even with all of our openness around gender and all of our awareness.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Heather.

Well, she said that she doesn't really think about gender a lot and she's always been a tomboy. But she acknowledges she's quite female in every aspect and is currently trying to come to terms with the fact that she's into girls. Something she's basically known all her life, but been denying. And she is very androgynous, hence why she had me fooled for so long.

She told me she sometimes wishes she were a guy and would have the male parts, even if it was just for me.
And she also said that she could get a sex-change operation if I wanted her to-- and I strictly forbade her to ever do something like that for anyone else but herself. I'll much rather get used to having my bisexual closet door ajar than have her do something major like that.
.. and yeah, I'm having mild problems trying to adjust being attracted to her physically now that she's.. well, a she. But I hope it'll ease with time.

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cian:
Of course, this raises a lot of insecurities in me, because so far I've been catering out to the needs of a male in all our intimate endevours. I learned she's always faked orgasms-- which isn't that big a deal because as a girl, I know it isn't that important if we peak or not.

Hey Cian, Welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile] Heather is asking a lot of important questions and will be able to give you some excellent insight, but I did want to talk about this one point for a second. While partnered sex isn't *just* about orgasms (they carry different amounts of importance for different individuals), but there is truly no double-standard for orgasms. Here orgasms are of equal importance to men/women/transgendered folk, and I find that statement very troubling. Not because it's bad that you said it -- please feel free and safe to express yourself as long as it's done in a respectful manner -- but because I see a lot of built-up stuff about gender roles and expectations there.

Because I can't quite tell from you post, have you met in-person and been sexually active together in-person?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While you say she says she doesn't really think about gender a lot, it's sounding like she (I'm going to use she for the time being) actually has. As well, someone expressing that they wish they were a different sex or gender and talking about sexual reassignment surgery -- as well as telling you she was male for this long -- certainly suggests we're talking about someone who seems to pretty clearly have some gender issues afoot.

This might also be why coming to terms with being into girls has been tough for her: if she thinks of herself as male, then it's going to feel weird to ID as lesbian. See what I mean?

Ultimately, I think there are two big issues to deal with here:

1) The longtime dishonesty. That really may be the biggest issue of all, because that is a very long time to be deceptive with someone you are purportedly getting close to. Any trust you built is likely in serious question. How are you feeling about that?

2) The fact that either way, you're not dealing with -- gender-wise -- you you thought you were: a male-bodied person. You are either dealing with a female-bodied person who identifies as female, or a currently female-bodied person who may now be transgender male and/or later transition physically and emotionally into a transgender male. How do you feel about that, as well as the issues of trust?

I should also add that one thing to understand is that if this person is trans, or does prefer to ID as male (or would, if she felt able to), the way you were relating to this person may have, in fact, felt far more authentic than were you relating to her as someone female. Mind, in many ways, it's not really like we need to relate to different genders differently in a very broad way, save when talking about specific body parts or what have you. But it may be that YOU relate very differently to men and women.

Lastly, I also want to be sure you're taking care of you, and feel able to take any space you need away from this relationship to process BOTH the breach of trust and the gender difference. Is this person being understanding about that and giving you the room and space you need for that? Are you giving that to yourself?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ecofem.

I definitely want to clarify that I'm basically quoting what she said to me because I was very upset to learn she has never had an orgasm, not with me nor without me, she said she doesn't mind because she's satisfied regardless.
We have not met face to face-- we plan to next summer, even if the relationship falls through. Our intimacy has been bound to what we can do over the internet. (This is very embarrassing for me to talk about, please excuse me)
And of course we know sex isn't only about orgasms. We first discussed this when she.. while still being a he to me, was really pressing me to make sure I orgasm, to the point I felt like I'd let "him" down if I didn't.
We've since worked that out.
Of course her pleasure means a lot to me, and I would love nothing more than to be able to please her to that point, but I'm just not going to grill her about it because I don't want her to think her not-orgasming is an impairment.

I don't know if I bring myself across clearly enough.
When I say that as a girl I can say it's not that important-- I just speak from my personal experience and hers. I don't mind if I don't peak, she doesn't mind if she doesn't, thus it isn't very important to us.

Hi again, Heather.

I told her that she'll have to forgive me if I doubt her from now on, and she said she'd fully understand if I never trusted her again. However, I want to trust her, and I want to work out this knot. Sure, it means heavy duty talking and reinforcing what trust is left. I want to try.

I'm still coming to terms with how I feel about her being.. well, a her. We haven't had all that much time to grasp this and talk about it yet, but I get the vibe she is a female-bodied person who identifies themself as female, but still never wanted to consider, or admit, they were lesbian. I don't really know yet, we have to talk more about it.

I didn't even realize to consider that some of the sheer awkwardness of this situation could, and probably does steam from the fact that I relate to her differently now that I know she's a girl-- even if that's the only thing that basically changed.

She's told me that she'll understand if I want to walk out of the relationship or if I want to take a break, or anything of that sort. Currently I don't think I want to take the distance, I'd rather work these things out together than let my own thoughts distort the truth when I can't get a second opinion.
It's a lot to process, I'm still kind of.. very confused, I guess.

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, I get you.

It sounds like not only do you need to talk more about all of this, but that she does. If she kept all this from you for this long, I'm presuming perhaps she has not really talked about any of it with anyone else at all?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Hi Heather.

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with all this, even though it's still a little weird for it now being "alright" to feel attracted to her female body, as before I was dead set on denying my bisexuality and hoping I would "stop" being bisexual if I just tried hard enough to be straight.
Not that I have any problems with people being whatever orientation they happen to be-- I just didn't want myself to identify as bi. Why this is so, I really don't know, and I really hope no one holds it against me.

As for your question, no, she has never talked to anyone about these kinds of issues. I suggested she'd see a professional so she wouldn't have to worry about people gossiping, but she generally doesn't want to talk with anyone.
She'd also prefer to keep me a secret from her family and friends and I better understand that now, she's scared of rejection and discrimination if people knew. I'm not comfortable telling my family or friends either.

And from what I gather from what she says, I think she IDs female, but didn't really want to be lesbian, thus winding up impersonating a male. But we've yet to talk about all this properly, it'll take time.

Heather
Member # 3

Cian: I don't know how you feel about this insofar as you having Scarleteen for your own use, but by all means, if you'd be comfortable with it, you're welcome to suggest Scarleteen as a place she can come and discuss any of this safely and anonymously.

In the meantime, might she be open to doing some reading? I could certainly suggest a few books I think might be helpful, for her or for both of you.

By the way, we understand that coming to terms with any sexual orientation can take time for people, and that people have a wide array of feelings about various orientations. We also will always understand that it can be particularly tough to be in any minority or oppressed group, and that some people would prefer not to be members of groups which face discrimination or bias.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

I shall ask her if she'd like to discuss these things anonymously here. And I'll also ask if she'd like some reading. I could use some myself, I think. Although things are fairly "normal" between us, I still have some trouble adjusting.

My "newest" problem is with intimacy. I used to be fairly confident in myself and what I did because she is a very.. convincing faker. but now knowing she has always had to fake, and knowing I really wasn't "that good", I feel like I've failed her and myself. One a scale from one to ten I went from being a nine to feeling a minus ten. I really, really thought I wasn't half bad when it came down to sex and I was quite proud of myself in that regard.
And now I realize I have never done a single thing right for her.

When we talk about it she says she wants to focus on me, and I figure this might be because she knows she's never had an orgasm and might be nervous about letting me down-- I've told her that as long as she feels satisfied it's fine with me, and I know it's not easy to peak. If I tell her I'd like to focus on her, she'll retaliate by saying she'd be happier if we focused on me instead. It makes me feel rejected.
I suppose it's too much to ask, seeing as how I've never pleased her so far, it must be awkward for her now that I know she fakes.

I'm sorry about the rant.
Our sexual encounters have always been hugely pleasurable for me, and I feel guilty knowing she's never enjoyed herself that much.

Heather
Member # 3

Per books, why don't you start with Kate Bornstien's "My Gender Workbook?"

Can I ask why you're figuring she was faking her sexual enjoyment (rather than just orgasm)? Because while I understand she wasn't honest with you about her gender, I haven't seen you say anything that suggested she must have been faking sexual enjoyment.

Of course, I also think since this has been a 100% not-in-person relationship, it doesn't really even make sense to consider what you're like as a sexual partner. After all, none of this has been in-person sex where your bodies were interacting in any way. Additionally, I strongly question the whole notion of self-esteem about being "good" at sex in a general way, since sex with every partner is different, and being "good in bed" with someone isn't always the same skillset from partner to partner (and what those skills are tend to be things like good communication -- which is tough when a partner hasn't been honest, and that's not your fault -- creativity and plain old care: not things like how supa-sexy someone is or what they do with their mouth during oral sex).

I think you might be making some assumptions you don't need to. She says she wants things to be about you, but instead of assuming why, why not just ASK why?

[ 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Cian! I see you're getting the help and advice you need, but I would like to give some personal thoughts. I was similar to your online friend- it was not the same situation and the girl (let's call her Kaitlin) and I only flirted. But this went on for about a year. I told her I was a guy. It began as a fun thing to do but I realized I really liked my guy persona. Though I know now I am not trans, I enjoyed going online and being a guy.

"As a guy", I was the exact same person. Same interests, same everything. It was not a fantasy life-- only the gender was changed.

Kaitlin thought that we could have an online relationship and I let her know that I am female. I did not use my male persona for very long at all but it was long enough. She was very angry, understandably. She never fully trusted me even though we had only been friends. Being 'out' as female online took away the fun for me, but I felt better about it.

It was soothing when I read in My Gender Workbook by Kate Borenstein (I saw that Heather mentioned it too!) that she actually -suggests- for people to try out being different genders online, because it's a safe place to "pass". I no longer have my gender questions, but I can look back and rationalize why I liked doing it now.

However, I am not trying to sway you one way or the other. I would be incredibly skeptical if I were you. I understood Kaitlin's worries and I understand yours.

Four years is a long time to go by a gender one is not/does not ID as, especially in a relationship.

I have a feeling that your friend may need some assistance in that area (sexuality). It seems she cares for you a lot. And Scarleteen would be a really good place for her to talk about what's going on. She would do well with talking to someone or reading up on some sources.

This is pretty heavy stuff. I wish you the best.

[ 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Bonnie.N.Clyde ]

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

I never said I thought I was good at sex in a technicaly way, I don't see how I could be with zero hands-on experience. What I mean by good, and understanding that we have had to be creative in this sense, since we can't touch each other, is that I thought I was very good at giving her what she enjoyed. Now knowing I've been as lousy a lover as I always feared I might be, I feel crushed. I've never met her needs, and now she won't even let me try.

Well, we obviously have plenty of work to do and plenty of talking to do.
Ah, giving me a headache as is.

Heather
Member # 3

Cian: I'm moving forward with this conversation assuming that you do feel okay/want to continue this relationship, even given the very long breach of trust. If you ever want to stop back and talk about that, we can do that, okay?

As you know, when it comes to sex with someone else, it takes two to tango. If a partner isn't communicating honestly with you, you really can't expect yourself to be able to respond to anything BUT what they ARE telling you. This isn't about you being a lousy lover: it's about someone else not doing their part so that you could be responsive to their reality (though in part, I do think you have been b/c it does sound like gender ID really is an issue here, IMO).

At most, it makes you a lousy psychic. Clearly, you should abandon any dreams of reading people's minds for your living. [Smile]

In other words, if you really want your bedroom wall painted red, but you tell me to paint it green, I haven't failed in any way by painting it green, or been a bad painter because I did what you asked me for. I'm not in any way responsible -- especially if I was honest on my part, made clear I wanted to know what color you wanted it -- for your choice to communicate something different than what you wanted. Know what I mean?

[ 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

I suppose you have a very good point, Heather. I still feel upset for not having been able to meet her needs, and still missing the mark.
Other thing I have a problem with is being attracted to her physically, since I surpressed any attraction I felt for another female for all these years in my efforts to be 'straight', and even in my bisexuality I am primarily into males.

It feels difficult to be attracted to her on that level. I've now seen her naked and it felt much more so casual than it felt exciting. Like it wasn't a big deal, even though I know it was. It's frustrating, because I love her very much on an emotional level, I don't want to love her any less on a physical level. Before, when she was still a he to me, when she'd show me "neutral" areas her belly or back, I'd be really excited. I put neutral in quotes because I realize not all people consider them neutral, and for instance the back for me is a very sexual area.
But now I just didn't feel any different. Her body is very beautiful (and I try very hard not to compare it to mine), I just feel there's a switch in my brain that has been turned Off and now I don't know how to turn in back On.

I'm afraid our relationship will take damage from my inability to be turned on by her, and I most definitely don't want her to think it's her fault. She's lovely in every respect, it's me who's broken.

Heather
Member # 3

Why are you broken?

Here's what I'm hearing: what it sounds like to me, is that this is a woman who you are not feeling sexually attracted to. Emotionally, yes, but not sexually. That doesn't suggest you are broken to me: it simply is a reminder that we aren't always sexually attracted to people -- even those of us who are of an orientation where, potentially, we can be attracted to anyone -- we have emotional feelings for. Sexual attraction tends to be a bit more random.

And yes, I know, this same woman had a male persona to whom you were strongly attracted, but it was that: a persona. If it helps as a comparison, while I tend to be more easily attracted to women than men, I have a lot of friends who have been or are drag kings for performance. And there were times when I found them VERY attractive as kings, though when they weren't performing, I wasn't attracted to them IRL.

I also think you need to remember that there was a BIG breach of trust here, and that also may be playing a part in your feelings. Four years of dishonesty, even if someone's reasons are something we can understand, is a LONG time.

My sense is you are holding yourself to much higher standards and expectations than you are holding her, and I'm not sure I understand why or know how to make that clear. You seem to keep falling back on all the things you perceive as being wrong with you in a situation where you were the person wronged.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

I suppose it's my way of coping. If there is fault in me, it means I can fix it, as opposed to a fault that's outside my own person.
I'm a bit of a control freak sometimes, I feel uneasy if I cannot control the situation I'm in.

Then thing is, I don't want to not be sexually attracted to her. I've never seen her this happy and at ease, for understandable reasons, she's never been this enthusiastic. I couldn't be happier knowing she can finally breathe easy and knowing there's no more secrets between us.
I don't want it all to fall to pieces.

I do get upset about our entire relationship having been, albeit only partly, a lie. I can't think of all the things we've done and all the memories I have the same way anymore, they feel tainted in a sense.
That might play a part in my overall loss of libido at the moment.

I'm just afraid it won't change and I'll be stuck like this, unable to appreciate her in a sexual sense.
It's a distressing thought because I really, really love her. If I didn't, I don't think I would've wanted to stay with her after all this unraveled.

Heather
Member # 3

I hear you. I have had people in my life I so, so wished I felt sexually attracted to, too. The thing is, that's not something we can force or make happen, nor is it something that will always happen just because we love someone. Chemistry is just pretty out of our hands.

Let's play a little what-if, okay? What IF it turns out the the best relationship for the two of you, the one that is about how both of you really feel, is a friendship. Could each of you not get the same kinds of benefits to your lives you have already via a friendship? If not, want to talk about why you think you couldn't?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

I personally have never witnessed a healthy friendship sprouting from a past relationship, regardless how the relationship ended. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but it means that I am not at all optimistic.
We've agreed to stay friends if our relationship falls through and while I don't want to lose her, I fear it will be awkward to stay in contact after the romantic relationship is over.

I feel guilty, though.
She's so happy and enthusiastic now, and whereas before it was only me who'd dream of a future together, now she does it too.
And I feel a stab to my heart when she says she'd like to spend the rest of her life with me. Because I'm not sure if I feel the same way. I don't know if I can have a relationship with another woman. I can't bring myself to tell her that.
I want her. But I feel I also want a man. I obviously can't have both. But I don't know which one's the right choice, I worry I'll make the wrong decision. Ten years from now I could well be with her, looking back and wishing I'd gone with a man. Or I could be unhappy with a man, hoping I'd never left her because she always treated me so good. We only get one shot at life, I don't want to mess up mine.

In any case, even that of our relationship coming to an end, we've agreed to meet face to face next summer. We felt that after five years, we owe as much to each other.

Heather
Member # 3

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way and that things are not going as you'd like.

One thing I want to point out is that the idea we only get one shot with someone, ever, is flawed. Many times, that just isn't how it goes, especially since so few people have romantic relationships which are lifelong.

For example, at the moment, I'm actually in relationship #3 with someone when our first try at this was 20 years ago. Believe me when I tell you that in our case, due to a bunch of factors, us figuring things out and being together again seemed beyond impossible for years and years, but lo, here we are. And here we are, no less, in something when the timing is so much more right and we're so much more ready for what our stuff is: had we extended our first relationship longer than we did, both of us feel pretty certain it would have been even more disastrous than it already was and we'd not have been happy together, nor have sustained the relationship much longer.

So, yes, we all only get one shot at this one life, but that doesn't mean every opportunity we're afforded in it only happens once, nor that if we nix something at one time, we can't opt in at another.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

This is all hugely confusing and complicated on my part, and I feel guilty if the thought "I wish things were like they used to be" crosses my mind. I honestly don't want things to go back to the way they were, with my girlfriend having to hide such a major thing from me and because of that feeling down about our relationship and herself.

But at the same time, I'm now faced with similar problems. I still talk about her as if she were a boy should my friends or family mention her. I don't know if I should tell my family, and what should I tell them. My older sister would disown me without a doubt, and my father might too, since he's always making nasty comments about homosexuality. And I've always been closer to my father than to my mother.
So currently I'm stuck telling half-truths, and I honestly don't know what to do when she visits. I won't be able to keep her visit a secret from my family.

I know her family would hate my guts. Not only am I foreign and non-Asian, but also a girl. I doubt her conservative parents will approve of our relationship. And yes, despite our long relationship, her parents do not know about us, or me for that matter. They know there's a vague "foreign friend" "somewhere", and that is all they know. They have never approved of her speaking to people on the internet.

Also.
I'm going to see about seeing my school's psychologist. Starting university has been a bit of a rough patch with all the new things: new city, living on my own for the first time, money worries, not being a very able cook and eating a very bland diet, not having any friends, my relationship doing a somersault, paying bills, the works. I figured a professional might be the best thing for me.

[ 12-12-2009, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Cian ]

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

And speaking of being a horrible secret her parents don't know of, naturally, her friends don't know I exist either. This, for some reason I can't seem to grasp, really hurt me today.
We were having an idle chat over Skype before I had to leave for school and she mentioned how her friends had been discussing their status, and how most of them are single. When the discussion turned to her, she too said she was "on the market."
While I understand she doesn't want to come out with having a girlfriend and I understand why replying anything else would probably have landed her in a tight spot, I still felt very deeply hurt by it. Maybe it's because I've readily accepted her into my "real life", and most everyone who's ever asked knows I'm taken. Lately I haven't been specific, since I'm not quite ready to come out either, but I still will tell that I am not available.

I feel horrible knowing I'm a source of shame for her. I wish she could be proud of being with me. I worry I'll never be able to make her truly happy because she needs to hide our relationship and pretend I don't exist.
Sometimes I wish I didn't.
Things would be less complicated for everyone if I didn't.

Heather
Member # 3

I can certainly see why you'd feel very hurt by this, Cian. When we have serious feelings, and invest a lot of time and energy into a relationship life you have, it's reasonable to expect to be more integrated into someone's life, or at least in SOME way integrated.

Given this and everything else, have you done more thinking on if this really is a good fit of a relationship for you, and/or talked more with her about where you two are at, and where she sees this going? Is this really something that's beneficial for you, that makes you feel very good most of the time?

[ 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Just a small update on an old matter. I am still with my girlfriend and still closeted about it. I did tell my mother that my boyfriend turned out to be a girl, but we're still friends and she's coming to Finland this summer.
My mother knows everything, it seems, because she just had the feeling that my girlfriend was a girl to begin with way before I found out myself. She also told me that these are not things I should keep a secret and that she was rather pleased I'd be so open minded to date a girl. (She could've said that BEFORE I lied that we're not together anymore, but on the other hand, having my family believe we're just friends is somewhat less stressful for me. I'm not ready to be out, especially when I don't know myself if there's anything to be out about.)

As far as the relationship goes, there's still the stress of being in a gay relationship when I don't know if I'm "gay enough". But I want to give it a shot.
My girlfriend is very supportive when it comes to my problems and concerns and she's been there for me for years. Stability offers me a sense of security, and I really enjoy her company, romantic or otherwise. We are both fine with the relationship coming to an end if after meeting each other things don't feel right.

I've yet to tell my father, I'm planning on doing it soon so he'll have time to adjust to the sudden change. My mother already let me know that she will be very upset with me if I don't introduce her to my family. [Razz]

ALSO. I learned that I have a homosexual cousin on my dad's side who is officially living with her girlfriend-- and has been pretty much excluded from the family. (I did wonder why I never see her anywhere)
Doesn't really encourage coming out even as a bisexual, assuming I am. I don't even know. I think I'm mainly hetero with a touch of bi?

[ 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Cian ]

Heather
Member # 3

Ultimately, I think when trying to figure out one's orientation it's just something that takes time, life experience, and really looking at the whole of your sexual and romantic attractions, in person, and not just with one person.

Regardless, it sounds to me like you actually have a strongly supportive and accepting parent who is really in your corner here. Did your cousin have someone like that? I'm betting she didn't, and it really tends to make all the difference.

I also want to mention that even as a queer person, I don't know what a "gay" relationship or "straight" relationship is. I suppose that in relationships where everyone is the same orientation one might be able to classify things that way, but that sure leaves a lot of relationships out. For instance, as a bisexual person, how could I have been in a "lesbian" relationship when I was dating a lesbian woman if both of us weren't lesbian? When I have been involved with heterosexual mean, what kind of relationship was that? Get what I'm saying?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference to me because relationships and sexuality isn't very high on my list of priorities. Applied to myself and myself only, a gay relationship simply means a same sex relationship.

And no, my cousin most likely didn't have support from the family, but as it happens, we share the relatives on my father's side, so I would lack the support as well should I come out. I don't really want to lose the support of my father's side of the family, and all in all, if everyone but my mother abandons me, I don't think I'd have much reason to keep on living. My life is nothing without my family.

Heather
Member # 3

I hear that, but at the same time, sometimes one advocate can influence others. None is very, very different than one.

But how about this: how about crossing that bridge when you come to it by meeting your girlfriend at least once first?

Since she's the only person of the same sex I thin you've expressed feeling an attraction to, and this relationship started with you thinking her male (and I also don't know her status, if she's wanting to ID as female, etc.), but you still haven't met her in person, why not wait until then to see if this is even an issue for you?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.